Get 4 drive-up ramps

Carl
Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 PM
medtech
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm with Mudman on this.

Jack it up just like you would a 996.
Put the jack under the rear lift point, raise that side, put the stand under the front lift point, then move to the other side or the car and repeat.
Old 09-27-2010, 02:28 AM
STATMAN
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Munchdog
Statman, how did you end up accomplishing this? I'm about to undertake the same process.

Looking for tips.
Accomplished the deed just as I described. Do yourself a favor though, and get a real jack to do the job rather than the factory jack. I had the car up on jack stands for about a week without incident.
Attached Images  
Old 09-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Munchdog
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the pic. I was nervous about all four corners being on stands, so I'm doing just the front end this week.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:11 PM
GR997S
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Munchdog
Thanks for the pic. I was nervous about all four corners being on stands, so I'm doing just the front end this week.
Bringing this back for any current updates. I use jackpoint jackstands for my 997. Has anyone used these stands for the Cayenne? Many thanks...GR
Old 07-20-2014, 03:52 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Received 38 Likes on 35 Posts

Just to pull this one out from under the dust.

So, yesterday I was working around taking care of the front control arms (rubber aged, liquid dripping out, …). So off they come and they are in the workshop now. At the same time, I’m replacing the flexible brake lines and dust boots on the ball joints/tie rods, … together with some other while I’m in theres.

So the front of the car was on 3 Ton jack stands (2) and the pivot bearing resting on two other jack stands. Then I proceeded to jack up the rear. First, tried with my little alligator jack (works fine for my 964, but the 955 is a different animal). Couldn’t get the car up high enough from the center jacking point. So moved to the side jacking points (where I can get the jack stands in place next to the jack -> I have factory aluminum side skirts/step boards, perhaps that is why they fit) and still didn’t have the reach to get it off the ground.

Then tried the factory supplied jack -> WARNING: this is a BAD, BAD idea. The car moved about 2 inches sideways before I managed to drop it back to the ground. Fortunately nothing happened.

So now I’m wondering how to deal with this.

Options:
1/ Wait until the front arms are back in place, drop the front and move to the rear
2/ Do 1, then lower the air suspension as low as possible, jack it up again as my main jack will get the car up high enough, do rear first, then move to front
3/ Get a bottle jack with the reach -> easy to get more reach by putting something underneath it (doesn’t sound like a good idea to me)

Can someone confirm number 2 is not a problem with the Cayenne?

Any other suggestions?
Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 AM
mudman2
Moderator !x4

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Last time I did this I used a floor jack raising front, then stands then rear and stands
Old 07-20-2014, 10:03 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Mudman… I thought to just proceed that way as well… but had to learn the hard way.

Problem is that the car is in normal setting and I can’t get the back high enough off the ground to get the wheels off. She keeps resting on the ground.

That’s why I thought the lower setting would be a better option. But I’d like someone to confirm that… or tell me that’s not a great idea either.

Just picked up the control arms, so worst case, I’ll get the front back together, drop the front, do the rear brake lines, bleed rears, then take front back up and bleed the front brakes.

Not exactly the efficiency I hoped for.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:34 AM
kosmo
Race Director

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Navaros911
Just to pull this one out from under the dust.

So, yesterday I was working around taking care of the front control arms (rubber aged, liquid dripping out, …). So off they come and they are in the workshop now. At the same time, I’m replacing the flexible brake lines and dust boots on the ball joints/tie rods, … together with some other while I’m in theres.

So the front of the car was on 3 Ton jack stands (2) and the pivot bearing resting on two other jack stands. Then I proceeded to jack up the rear. First, tried with my little alligator jack (works fine for my 964, but the 955 is a different animal). Couldn’t get the car up high enough from the center jacking point. So moved to the side jacking points (where I can get the jack stands in place next to the jack -> I have factory aluminum side skirts/step boards, perhaps that is why they fit) and still didn’t have the reach to get it off the ground.

Then tried the factory supplied jack -> WARNING: this is a BAD, BAD idea. The car moved about 2 inches sideways before I managed to drop it back to the ground. Fortunately nothing happened.

So now I’m wondering how to deal with this.

Options:
1/ Wait until the front arms are back in place, drop the front and move to the rear
2/ Do 1, then lower the air suspension as low as possible, jack it up again as my main jack will get the car up high enough, do rear first, then move to front
3/ Get a bottle jack with the reach -> easy to get more reach by putting something underneath it (doesn’t sound like a good idea to me)

Can someone confirm number 2 is not a problem with the Cayenne?

Any other suggestions?
#2 is fine. Just be sure to lock out the air suspension before jacking up.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Navaros911
Burning Brakes

Thanks guys... I'll drop the suspension to load mode, switch off "regulation" and get her in the air completely.

All my tools were purchased with the 911 in mind... didn't think at the time I'd have a Cayenne for the family next to the 911.
Old 07-20-2014, 01:07 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Read this article.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:25 AM
geetee
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Make sure you use at least a 3 ton floor jack....I first used 1.5 ton one that I use for the 911.
the floor jack bent and the cayenne landed on the floor...luckily it was before I removed the tire so no harm
Old 08-02-2016, 11:31 PM
wingless
analyst
Rennlist Member

Received 147 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by wingless
The lift points defined in the Owner's Manual are too close to each other to permit lifting with a jack, then resting the vehicle onto jack stands.

The rear jack location, that I found to be acceptable is on the rear axle sub-frame, on the curved section, below the front of the rear axle, where the drive shaft enters.

Originally Posted by racer_65
Read this article.

From the linked article: "Because of the proximity of the two rear jacking points, there is no place to use a floor jack and then also place a jack stand. Porsche realized this problem and issued a technical service bulletin advising to jack the rear of the car up from the rear subframe point (green arrow) directly under the differential mount."

That matches my original method.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:50 AM
jpoint
Burning Brakes

Received 347 Likes on 213 Posts

Generally the Jackpoint stands are too low for a Cayenne but some guys have elevated the stand (and their jack) to get sufficient height.
Attached Images  
Old 10-27-2016, 08:38 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 31 Likes on 17 Posts

If anyone is looking for a set of reliable jack stands, we're having a 10% off promo until the end of the month on ESCO Flat Top Jack Stand with Rubber Pad (6000 pound capacity). If interested, check out the link below!

ESCO Jack Stands
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Jacking and Jack Stands