Sponsored by:

OBD Reader Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 02:52 PM
ThomHart
AutoX

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Default OBD Reader Problem

Have a newly acquired '09 Cayenne GTS with manual transmission. Check engine light came on and I plugged in my Actron OBD reader but keeps giving me "LINK ERROR." The reader works with both my BMWs and Audi but this is my first Porsche; any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-18-2018, 09:59 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by ThomHart
Have a newly acquired '09 Cayenne GTS with manual transmission. Check engine light came on and I plugged in my Actron OBD reader but keeps giving me "LINK ERROR." The reader works with both my BMWs and Audi but this is my first Porsche; any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
You probably need a better reader. Not all OBD-II plug configurations are the same. Some OBD-II code readers don't seem to have realized this.

You may want to look at: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ds-how-to.html
Old 04-18-2018, 10:27 PM
nine9six
Banned

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
You probably need a better reader. Not all OBD-II plug configurations are the same. Some OBD-II code readers don't seem to have realized this.

You may want to look at: https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ds-how-to.html
They had all better be the same, if you want to legally import a vehicle into the United States!

The firmware however, may not function correctly for all of the Porsche specific readings, but the basics should be there.
If there is a drive block, it needs to be disabled for the OBD2 reader to interface with the vehicle, otherwise, you will receive a link error.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:35 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by nine9six
They had all better be the same, if you want to legally import a vehicle into the United States!

The firmware however, may not function correctly for all of the Porsche specific readings, but the basics should be there.
If there is a drive block, it needs to be disabled for the OBD2 reader to interface with the vehicle, otherwise, you will receive a link error.
Actually - there have been several OBD-II interface standards.. as the computer buss evolved on vehicles the info lines on the OBD-II interfaces changed. Somewhere there are pages of standards I once read.. I hope never to read them again. The newer tools are adaptive to what they plug into. For a while in NJ - the state Motor-Vehicles inspection stations couldn't connect to some of the OBD-II cars, so they continued doing rolling dyno tests. Finally solved that about 5-6 years ago and now "Inspection" consists of an OBD-II check for any codes or pending codes.

Read through the link I posted above - lots of contortions to read different manufacturer's OBD-II implementation.

Quick Reply: OBD Reader Problem