Sponsored by:

2006 Cayenne S Titanium CEL P1116

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:44 PM
Busa Boi
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Cayenne S Titanium CEL P1116

I did a search of the site and did not find any threads about the trouble code P1116. I have a Durametric diagnostic tool and it says this code means the coolant temperature sensor is faulty. I replaced the sensor and reset the code. The check engine light went out and came back on in 10 minutes. I don’t know what to do next. The car runs well but I have to pass the emission test in a couple months. Any help you guys could offer would be appreciated.
Old 04-16-2018, 11:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Does Durametric allow you to read the value the temperature sensor is reporting? Is there only one sensor (unlikely..)? If you can read the value, and compare it with actual engine temperature that would be a good thing. After the light came back on - is the error code the same?

Need more info..
Old 04-17-2018, 12:21 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Not a common failure at all on the cayenne. I would suggest checking the wiring to that sensor.
Old 04-17-2018, 11:15 AM
Busa Boi
4th Gear

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Does Durametric allow you to read the value the temperature sensor is reporting? Is there only one sensor (unlikely..)? If you can read the value, and compare it with actual engine temperature that would be a good thing. After the light came back on - is the error code the same?

Need more info..
The Durametric shows 72 degrees Celsius (161.6 degrees Fahrenheit) while the dash gauge shows 180 degrees Fahrenheit. The error code is still the same, P1116 (Value below lower limit value, test conditions are not-completed, fault is currently active and causing a DTC light) <---this is the verbiage that is displayed next to the code.
Keep in mind that a month ago I replaced the coolant pipes, thermostat, water pump and starter. The dash gauge always showed 180 degrees F as long as I have owned the vehicle (I bought it new).
Old 04-17-2018, 11:21 AM
Busa Boi
4th Gear

Originally Posted by PTEC
Not a common failure at all on the cayenne. I would suggest checking the wiring to that sensor.
I checked the wiring and the gauge displays the normal operating temperature it always has 180 degrees F. But my Durametric diagnostic tool shows an actual engine temperature of 161.6. STRANGE. I have used the Durametric to reset the code several times and it always comes back. I have to assume I did something wrong during the repairs I mentioned above. I just don't know what I did wrong.
Old 04-17-2018, 03:18 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

The dash gauge is a glorified idiot light. It always shows normal temperature unless some real disaster has occurred. Porsche followed BMW with the design. The reason for doing this is the engine temperature is actually varied over a rather large range in order to maximize efficiency and minimize emissions. If the gauge indicated the actual temperature people would be flocking to the dealers thinking something is wrong. As one of the BMW engineers said at a tech session I attended "Ve vill tell you vat ve vant to tell you.."

If I had to take a WAG random guess - the thermostat has failed open or a seal associated with it has failed. Was it a Porsche part? That has a 2-year warranty, but you get to do a lot of work over again in replacing it (unless a dealer did the replacement, in which case the labor is also covered.) BTW - this falls solidly under Eilenberger's Law #3: http://www.eilenberger.net/laws.htm - Law#3 - Troubleshooting: Look where you last worked.

Last edited by deilenberger; 04-17-2018 at 04:15 PM.
Old 04-17-2018, 05:42 PM
Busa Boi
4th Gear

I did the work myself so looks like I get to dig into the belly of the beast again. Thanks for your help. I might just take it to the dealer, no on second thought that would be like surrendering.

Quick Reply: 2006 Cayenne S Titanium CEL P1116