Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 Cayenne S Platinum Edition Rear Hatch Won't Open!

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 07:14 PM
rsam1013
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
Default 2006 Cayenne S Platinum Edition Rear Hatch Won't Open!

HELP! I've been searching past threads on here with no success and ALLDATAdiy is useless for my question.

I have a 2006 Cayenne S Platinum Edition with 144K miles. The rear hatch GLASS opens and closes properly, however the hatch itself is slightly ajar and will not release when I press the switch above the license plate. How can I get the striker latch to release so I can work on the problem? Just to level set and avoid unwanted replies:
  • I replaced the battery three months ago with a Porsche replacement ($432 - OUCH!) and I have 14amps on the gauge so I highly doubt my problem is battery related.
  • I checked the #31 fuses other threads refer to, but my fuses are fine and I'm not certain that even applies to my 2006!
  • I crawled in back, removed the lock trim piece on the hatch, and I can see the cable move when I press the switch above the license plate. I've tried using a screwdriver a variety of different ways to release the lock without success. Can someone explain to me how to do this in detail as none of the other threads I've seen are any help!
  • Is there an emergency cable release I could use instead? If so, where is it located? I can't believe my '98 Boxster would have emergency releases for the frunk and trunk, but not my 2006 Cayenne?
  • As a last resort, is there a way to release the striker by inserting a tool between the bottom of the hatch and the bumper?
PLEASE HELP - I'M AT MY WHITS END! THERE'S NO DOCUMENTATION ON HOW TO TROUBLESHOOT THIS, AND I DON"T WANT TO TAKE IT THE STEALERSHIP!

Thanks,

Rudy
Old 04-17-2018, 12:28 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The emergency release is behind the plastic square that goes over the lock on the inside of the hatch trim. There is no cable. There is a rod attached to an electric servo that pulls the lock open. There is a little arm you have to press in that will release the lock. Its part of the lock mechanism IIRC. I have seen where something (usually a trim clip) falls into the lock mechanism and jams it.
Old 04-17-2018, 06:32 PM
rsam1013
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

PTEC,

THANK YOU! I'm not sure how I did it, but I followed your advice and opened the access panel and pushed down on the electric servo with extra long needle nose pliers. After trying a couple of points pushing down, I heard an electric engagement and then sure enough I was able to open the hatch! I'll clean and lubricate all of the mechanisms to prevent it from happening again and even if it does, at least I know what to do next time around.

THANK YOU!
Old 04-17-2018, 11:58 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Funny this happened to my 2006 this weekend. Getting a new battery right now, hopefully that solves the problem. While playing around in there, I managed to break the little round plastic piece that connects the arm to the locking mechanism (which I can't move for the life of me). Anyone know if it is a standard part/part number? I feel like I see them everywhere, but they don't come with a part number...

Quick Reply: 2006 Cayenne S Platinum Edition Rear Hatch Won't Open!