Sponsored by:

05 CS Xenon Headlight Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 06:07 PM
hullstate
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 CS Xenon Headlight Problem

Passenger side Xenon headlight and both cornering lights stopped working. Wiring pigtail going to that headlight had fried insulation and #21 fuse (cornering light) blown and both were replaced. Same headlight works when plugged into driver's side, so bulb and ballast are ok. Well aware of the wiring pigtail connection issues and not the problem here. It seems like there's a power issue upstream somewhere. Is there some sort of relay or module elsewhere that could have been affected by a short in the fried pigtail?
Old 04-15-2018, 02:07 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

This is classic case of deteriorating wiring insulation, causing multiple shorts. You got options:

a) Buy new Valeo Xenon clusters = pricey, but easily good for another decade trouble-free
b) Physically dissect the Xenon internals and one-by-one... replace every wire = most time-consuming, but good enough until you find the frosted lens unbearable
c) Apply a "paint on" liquid wire insulation on all suspect circuits = reliable, until more wires come to term
Old 04-15-2018, 09:58 AM
hullstate
Track Day

Not sure I'm following you. Both headlight units work fine when plugged into the driver's side wiring harness. Neither headlight works when plugged into the passenger side harness. Are you saying that there's probably a shorted wire further up the harness somewhere? If so, does anyone know a source to a diagram showing where the wiring harness goes after it heads up the inside of the fender? Thanks
Old 04-15-2018, 04:09 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Do the cornering lights work now? You replaced the pigtail right? I have seen times where faults in the vehicle electrical control unit that dont get erased caused certain lights to stop working. I would erase all the faults in the vehicle electrical control unit and see where you're at. That being said I have seen a intermittently faulty vehicle electrical control unit that caused one of the xenon lights to intermittently stop working and would throw no warning on the dash. It was very hard to diagnose because I could never duplicate it. I believe the signal at the body side of the pigtail comes straight from the vehicle electrical control unit (under the dash next to the kessy cu) but I would have to look at a diagram to be sure.
Old 04-15-2018, 04:56 PM
hullstate
Track Day

Dang, my reply didn't show up. Let me try again.....
Yes, the pigtail was replaced. Neither cornering light works nor the right xenon. All other lights work fine. Throwing codes for dipped beam and cornering lights. I have a durametric and have attempted to erase the codes. Maybe I'm not doing it right and will try again. I have no idea what a kessy cu is, but seems I need to be focusing on that vehicle electrical control unit.
Old 04-15-2018, 05:00 PM
hullstate
Track Day

Is the vehicle electrical control unit something that is serviceable or replaceable?
Old 04-16-2018, 12:43 AM
RKD in OKC
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Went through similar headlight madness with 05 CT. Get one fixed then another would go out, headlights and cornering lights. Very frrustrating. Started with bulbs. Then pigtails, they were losing the insulation. Then the headlamp assemblies (wiring inside losing insulation as well). Then the headlight control units. Did computer reset stuff at every new item. Still were sometimes wonky coming on with that leveling thing, or a headlight would just go off while driving. Then replaced the xenon bulbs again after basically replacing everything elze and lights started working without any problems.
Old 04-18-2018, 01:08 AM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by hullstate
Dang, my reply didn't show up. Let me try again.....
Yes, the pigtail was replaced. Neither cornering light works nor the right xenon. All other lights work fine. Throwing codes for dipped beam and cornering lights. I have a durametric and have attempted to erase the codes. Maybe I'm not doing it right and will try again. I have no idea what a kessy cu is, but seems I need to be focusing on that vehicle electrical control unit.
OK so you replaced the pig tail, got it. Have you checked the cornering light bulbs to see if one is burnt out? If one is burnt out both will stop working.
Old 04-18-2018, 11:06 AM
hullstate
Track Day

I have not checked the cornering light bulbs. I will do that tonight and report back. Thanks again for your help.

Quick Reply: 05 CS Xenon Headlight Problem