Sponsored by:

Best way to add growl & power for exhuast

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2018, 03:00 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts
Default Best way to add growl & power for exhuast

Hey guys, I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find any topics on it.

What's best for adding a little power but most importantly to me a little extra growl?

Cat by pass pipes or new rear cans?
Old 04-02-2018, 05:16 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

which model Cayenne?
Old 04-02-2018, 05:42 PM
RAKLAW
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fabspeed bypass pipes
Old 04-02-2018, 06:03 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My 2004 Turbo has pipes after the cats with no mufflers, I think it still has the secondary cats. Sounds great, everybody comments on how good it sounds. Not too loud IMO.
Old 04-02-2018, 08:22 PM
uphoto
Pro

Sorry guys.......this is for my 08 CTT.

Want to show off that exotic V8 a little more, some extra power is a nice byproduct too.

Sebrings new Cayenne mufflers make it very affordable now to be able to change out the exhaust on the pigs so doing bypass pipes are almost the same price as replacing the mufflers now.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:17 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by RAKLAW
Fabspeed bypass pipes
I've done bypass pipes on my prior Cayenne and hated the rasp, too loud as well. I've been toying with the idea of some resonated bypass pipes. On the 955 Turbo S, IMO there was no noticeable performance gain though, just noise.

http://www.hhrproducts.com/porsche-c...ry-cat-bypass/

I've dealt with Fabspeed before and wouldn't spend a dime there FWIW.
Old 04-02-2018, 10:10 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Bypass is for a raspy Tugboat growl... with occasional crackling, at WOT. Uhm......nope.
Old 04-03-2018, 12:51 PM
jwicker
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Search for "exhaust mod" and you'll see a pretty inexpensive way to add some growl to your exhaust. Basically just stick an 18" piece of 2" pipe into your muffler. There are a lot of youtube videos out there for you to look at. I did it on my CS, but instead of flex pipe, I used 2" stainless pipe. I think it sounds pretty good.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:18 PM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Don't expect any sort of power increase from cat bypass pipes or muffler removal. Porsche knows how much exhaust gas those parts need to flow to maximize horsepower for the stock engine configuration. If you aren't doing anything to raise engine rpm or to raise flow through the engine (like more boost), changing exhaust system parts doesn't do a lot. Almost everybody who puts on a cat bypass pipe or eliminates the rear muffler is going to say there's more power, but I had a chance to dyno a stock 911SC with the factory catylist and again minutes later with a cat bypass pipe and horsepower changed about 1% between the 2 runs. But driving the 911SC, it felt at least 1 second quicker to 60 mph... but it was all wishful thinking. A stopwatch revealed no measurable difference (manual stopwatch) in 0-60 time.
Old 04-03-2018, 03:27 PM
uphoto
Pro

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
Don't expect any sort of power increase from cat bypass pipes or muffler removal. Porsche knows how much exhaust gas those parts need to flow to maximize horsepower for the stock engine configuration. If you aren't doing anything to raise engine rpm or to raise flow through the engine (like more boost), changing exhaust system parts doesn't do a lot. Almost everybody who puts on a cat bypass pipe or eliminates the rear muffler is going to say there's more power, but I had a chance to dyno a stock 911SC with the factory catylist and again minutes later with a cat bypass pipe and horsepower changed about 1% between the 2 runs. But driving the 911SC, it felt at least 1 second quicker to 60 mph... but it was all wishful thinking. A stopwatch revealed no measurable difference (manual stopwatch) in 0-60 time.
That is true for NA engines but not always for turbo vehicles.
Old 04-03-2018, 04:11 PM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

A proper exhaust with the inclusion of a secondary cat bypass will make more power on a larger NA motor and turbo applications. I have a custom mandrel bent exhaust on my 957 gts with a proper x pipe and 2.75 piping all the way from the cat bypass to the mufflers, and it yields better throttle response, better noise, and noticeable power. Is it huge, no but imho it is worth it. I will admit my car is a touch raspy due to removing all the resonators and routing to the stock mufflers. at some point I may add a set of resonators and trade out the mufflers if something shows up in the classifieds, but overall I’ve been pretty happy with the current setup for a few years now.

At the same time I would not pay thousands of dollars for a capristo exhaust or similar, just find a good local shop to do the work.
Old 04-12-2018, 11:36 PM
nrddct
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"Search for "exhaust mod" and you'll see a pretty inexpensive way to add some growl to your exhaust. Basically just stick an 18" piece of 2" pipe into your muffler. There are a lot of youtube videos out there for you to look at. I did it on my CS, but instead of flex pipe, I used 2" stainless pipe. I think it sounds pretty good. "

so I wonder if anyone has done this with the catbypass? I guess Ill have to find out on my own hah
Old 04-13-2018, 12:22 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by uphoto
That is true for NA engines but not always for turbo vehicles.
+1 With a proper tune, a cat bypass makes a noticeable difference in a CTT. The gains aren't huge, but they definitely can be felt.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 04-14-2018, 01:16 AM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I cannot do cat bypass in California. Anybody have tips on gutting the cats to pass visual inspection? I'm thinking running a flex pipe thru the reamed-out media?
Old 04-14-2018, 02:23 AM
vtgt
Pro

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

A California inspector actually knows where the secondary catalytic converters are on a Cayenne? There is no sensor and the ecu doesn’t monitor this, so I guess just the visual. They must be good or see a lot of cayenne’s to give a hard time for that.

If you you don’t want to do the secondary car bypass just do a nice catback after the secondary’s with a nice x pipe and sport mufflers.

to answer your question you can do what you are proposing, but I’d rather do the above.

Quick Reply: Best way to add growl & power for exhuast