Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reliability of 2006 Cayenne S

Old 04-14-2018, 05:47 PM
izoot
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reliability of 2006 Cayenne S

Hi Folks ... sorry I don't have as much info as I would like yet on this Cayenne yet but enough that hopefully will help out.

I currently own a 2010 911S an love it .... but I have minimal experience with Cayennes. I was considering picking up an
older one to daily with. Just was offered a 2006 Cayenne S ... one known hitch being the owner said there is a fuel pump
issue (that doesn't seem to crazy $$ to fix) it has 140k miles on it so no doubt I would have it gone over by a tech to see
if there is anything not being said or is unknown. The pix I saw today show it to be in clean shape for 2006 but with the
crappy weather here in Chicago and lousy weather just assuming it to be clean until I can get over to see it in person.

The asking price was pretty low $3k which is obviously taking into account the fuel pump repair, check up and a tune up.
Assuming that's all it needs. KBB shows the model year in "good" condition to be $8-$11k. Assuming things are only as
presented so far I don't think it would be a bad deal if I ended up putting a couple k into it. But no idea how well this model
year holds up in general and hope someone can tell me their experience. I was planning on picking up a considerably
newer one at some point this summer but if I can get away with decent deal on older I don't think the dogs will mind it
Eyes are wide open on this ... so don't hesitate sharing any negatives you maybe be aware of.
Thanks,

Ira
Old 04-14-2018, 06:45 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Did you read the sticky? If not, read it.

At 140k, I'm going to guess the pipes have been done. S model doesn't have the turbo "T".

Does it have the pano roof? Those can be troublesome. And very expensive to fix.

The fuel pumps aren't a huge deal, but kind of a pain. There are writeups out there.

The big questions is going to be cylinder scoring. It's happening and seems to be popping up more and more lately.
There's a very wide range of opinions on how common it is. Cold climate seems to be one factor. But nobody really knows what all the factors are, what importance each one has, or how prevalent it really is.
My personal guess (and it is just a guess) is that if it made it to 140k, it won't happen.

Look up Jeff Spahn on here. He got one with a lot of miles on it (170k?) not too long ago. He posted quite a bit on what all he did to it.

Honestly, if it's in good shape, and had records of what has (and has not) been done, I'd go for it. Properly cared for, these cars can go for a long time.
Old 04-14-2018, 09:53 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by izoot
$3k

Ira
3000 ...is there a title?
Old 04-15-2018, 05:48 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

There is evidence that Cayennes in areas with very cold winters (Chicago would qualify) have more problems with cylinder scoring than Cayennes that lived in warmer climates. The cylinder scoring Cayennes experience is scraping away of a special coating on the cylinder bores and some have said a scope looking in through the spark plug hole can miss the scoring because it tends to happen in the lower parts of the bore that would be protected from view by the pistons being installed. Lots of miles in cold climate areas is not a good combo. When cylinder scoring occurs, the existing block cannot be repaired, you have to either get a new engine or take a chance on an engine from a used parts dealer. The cost of the fix will be something more than 5 times what you would pay for that particular Cayenne.
Old 04-15-2018, 10:51 AM
izoot
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies ... still waiting on more info. Gonna be seeing the Cayenne in person tomorrow
and will know more. The $3k price concerns me even with the high miles and known fuel pump issue
so until a trusted mechanic tells me what to expect just gonna remain open minded. If in the shape
the pics show and mechanically doesn't need a ton of work it will make a good daily/dog park truck.

Regards,

Ira
Old 04-15-2018, 02:38 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by izoot
Hi Folks ... sorry I don't have as much info as I would like yet on this Cayenne yet but enough that hopefully will help out.

I currently own a 2010 911S an love it .... but I have minimal experience with Cayennes. I was considering picking up an
older one to daily with. Just was offered a 2006 Cayenne S ... one known hitch being the owner said there is a fuel pump
issue (that doesn't seem to crazy $$ to fix) it has 140k miles on it so no doubt I would have it gone over by a tech to see
if there is anything not being said or is unknown. The pix I saw today show it to be in clean shape for 2006 but with the
crappy weather here in Chicago and lousy weather just assuming it to be clean until I can get over to see it in person.

The asking price was pretty low $3k which is obviously taking into account the fuel pump repair, check up and a tune up.
Assuming that's all it needs. KBB shows the model year in "good" condition to be $8-$11k. Assuming things are only as
presented so far I don't think it would be a bad deal if I ended up putting a couple k into it. But no idea how well this model
year holds up in general and hope someone can tell me their experience. I was planning on picking up a considerably
newer one at some point this summer but if I can get away with decent deal on older I don't think the dogs will mind it
Eyes are wide open on this ... so don't hesitate sharing any negatives you maybe be aware of.
Thanks,

Ira

I paid $3200 for mine in October with 175,000 on it and have 190,000 on it now. Runs great. I do use Ceratec liquid moly in the oil, don't know if that is helping things.
Feel free to PM me and I'll shoot my phone number to you and we can discuss this car and potential things you should look for or expect to fix.

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Did you read the sticky? If not, read it.

At 140k, I'm going to guess the pipes have been done. S model doesn't have the turbo "T".

Does it have the pano roof? Those can be troublesome. And very expensive to fix.

The fuel pumps aren't a huge deal, but kind of a pain. There are writeups out there.

The big questions is going to be cylinder scoring. It's happening and seems to be popping up more and more lately.
There's a very wide range of opinions on how common it is. Cold climate seems to be one factor. But nobody really knows what all the factors are, what importance each one has, or how prevalent it really is.
My personal guess (and it is just a guess) is that if it made it to 140k, it won't happen.

Look up Jeff Spahn on here. He got one with a lot of miles on it (170k?) not too long ago. He posted quite a bit on what all he did to it.

Honestly, if it's in good shape, and had records of what has (and has not) been done, I'd go for it. Properly cared for, these cars can go for a long time.
Thanks for the reference. I find this car to be (so far) a painless experience. Fixes I have done really weren't hard, just took time and one (the odometer reset) baffling.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:58 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

$3k? And it's in decent shape? Yeah, get a mechanic you trust to look at it and as long as it isn't in immediate danger of blowing up, snag it.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:00 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Fuel pump last week on my 2005 turbo was $903 in parts, including pumps, FPR, filter and 2 new fuel pump relays. Took me about 4 hours but a lot of jacking around (siphon to get gas out etc.). Brake pads and rotors are expensive and it eats them. Misc vacuum leaks due to plastic fittings and pipes getting brittle, coils and the normal stuff. I don't think they are inexpensive to maintain and I do my own work. And be prepared for a few electrical gremlins, codes and comfort not working consistently. I really think they overly complicated this car.

I now am faced with rear wheel bushing... I understand they are tough to DIY.

But, if it's cheap enough and it's not a DD then you live with it. Thats what I'm doing. It's my tow vehicle to the track or ****ty weather grocery getter.
Old 04-16-2018, 07:01 PM
95_993
Race Car

Received 501 Likes on 344 Posts

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
$3k? And it's in decent shape? Yeah, get a mechanic you trust to look at it and as long as it isn't in immediate danger of blowing up, snag it.
Agreed. That's WAY low. I would expect 3x for something in decent shape. Be sure to drive and test the valve body for clunking on downshifts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Reliability of 2006 Cayenne S