Sponsored by:

Front windshield replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 12:55 AM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front windshield replacement

On my 2004 CTT, I have a crack from rock that needs windshield replacement. Any recommendations on where to get the replacements glass from?
Thx
Old 03-12-2018, 08:34 AM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

Same situation on my 2011 cayenne s. I hesitatingly went through my insurance and safelite was contracted to do the job. To my surprise the tech was very well informed, knew what he was taking about car wise which I’m sure helped and the new windshield has had zero issues (no leaking, rain sensors work etc). I wash my car with a pressure washer so I’m sure the seal is tight. I would recommend safelite if your insurance carrier uses them. Could be other stories out there however...I’m sure the tech you get has a lot to do with the install. Good luck!
Old 03-12-2018, 08:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,140 Likes on 3,913 Posts

The secret to a successful windshield replacement is to allow the adhesive to fully cure without driving the car. If you can leave it stationary for 1-2 days, even better, and if you do have to move it or drive it, get in, and before closing the door behind you, open a couple of the windows all the way and close the door very slowly. Leave them down once you put it in the garage too. The reason is the pressure wave caused by closing the door with the window up and the sealant not fully cured can unseat the seal just enough to cause an air whistle or water leak.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:56 AM
Porsche_Turbo
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I highly suggest from dealership. Will cost you ~$1200 - the deductible. Meanwhile you will have a 2018 Porsche loaner for 3 days. The workmanship and quality of the windshield cannot be compared to Safelite.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:09 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

When I had my 06 they were doing the highway nearby -- three windshields in 3 years ... they all came from safelight. Funny .. when the car was 6 month old the dealer replaced the windshield after the failed wiper scratched it ... that windshield had an internal flaw and needed to be replaced again. Make sure they install USA made glass and you will be fine. The windshield on the C is really easy to replace -- it's basically a flat slab of glass ... and surprisingly thin. Nothing special.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:12 PM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Porsche_Turbo
I highly suggest from dealership. Will cost you ~$1200 - the deductible. Meanwhile you will have a 2018 Porsche loaner for 3 days. The workmanship and quality of the windshield cannot be compared to Safelite.
Dealership here does not do glass replacement and refers customers to a 3rd party shop. I will try calling them and see if they can get OEM glass.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:56 PM
Hams911
Rennlist Member

Received 56 Likes on 25 Posts

I would never pay 1200 for a windshield especially if it is part of your insurance....also my local p-car dealership has the safelite truck in the parking lot all the time so....?? Similar to saying you wouldn't use dent king or a like company to pull a dent out of your car because you only trust the dealer but who do you think the dealer contracts to do the work. To each their own but my 1200 would go to something like PM maintenance vs paying for a windshield that will eventually get cracked again.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:09 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

San Francisco Bay Area even with crazy prices, dealer charges ~$750 with labor. I have had 2 replaced. OEM glass.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:15 PM
yeldogt
Rennlist Member

Just so you know -- if you check the origin that OE glass replacement coming from the dealer ....... may not be coming from Germany. That's why I went with USA aftermarket -- it was the same glass.
Old 03-16-2018, 10:45 AM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Tried few shops around here (PNW), and most of the glass available is either Pilkington or FUYAO. FUYAO is Chinese made and they can't confirm Pilkington without looking at the unit itself.
OEM is about $400 more and insurance won't cover it. Guardian has exited the business of automotive windshields.

Anyways, going with Pilkington and see what happens. Thx for the info.
Old 03-16-2018, 04:10 PM
Rossi
Pro

Received 54 Likes on 46 Posts

Pilkington and PGW are both made in USA and pretty much top notch aftermarket options if you have to pay out of your own pocket.
Old 03-20-2018, 01:37 AM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rossi
Pilkington and PGW are both made in USA and pretty much top notch aftermarket options if you have to pay out of your own pocket.
My deductible is zero, so, not paying anything out of pocket. But, insurance only covers aftermarket and now, I am getting Pilkington.
Old 03-24-2018, 07:02 AM
Rod Croskery
Instructor

Originally Posted by Rossi
Does anyone have an actual out-of-pocket price for a 955 after-market windshield?
Old 03-24-2018, 09:56 AM
quickster2
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Around Ann Arbor Michigan Safelite utilizes two options. 1st one is "their" glass and 2nd is Porsche glass. The dealers utilize Safelite to do the work. The benefit I was told with the Porsche glass besides perceived or ordinary quality is that it comes with locators so you are almost guaranteed the rain sensing wipers (if so equipped) will work properly. The Porsche glass was around $250 more.

Quick Reply: Front windshield replacement