Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

AUDIO: Ticking/knocking. Is this the driveshaft?

Old 03-11-2018, 08:41 PM
mungojerie
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AUDIO: Ticking/knocking. Is this the driveshaft?

Hi everyone --

Ever since I had my engine replaced, I have occasionally heard this sound: https://www.dropbox.com/s/aaf5tiz84t...0tick.mp4?dl=0. I recorded that from within the footwell of the car while driving.

Details
  • I only hear it at 15-25mph, and really just 15-20mph.
  • I hear it whether or not I'm pressing the gas.
  • The sound speeds up and slows down with RPMs.
  • It doesn't always happen. Seems to be worst in the cold. But sometimes it's quiet in the cold. Sometimes I hear it at 60 degrees.
I'd describe it as a tick or like a bubble popping. In the recording it sounds more like a knock.

Like I said, it seems to happen most in cool weather and I didn't have it in cold weather before the engine replacement I dealt with. During the 45 days it was waiting around to get an engine replaced, it did sit outside in some weather ranging from snow to rain to dry.

Thoughts?
Old 03-11-2018, 11:38 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I am not able to listen to the file right now, but you may want to check the cardan shaft bearing bushing. It is very easy and a possible culprit. You will be able to see if it is starting to crack and come up apart. This is worth checking anyways since the car is new to you and it is something that will leave you stranded. Look up the Jimmi fix.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:41 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

What happens if you go 15-20 mph, put it in neutral and then rev the engine?
Old 03-12-2018, 12:00 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

It's not easy to really tell what it is by the recording - it's possible since you had your engine replaced (I believe? You never told us the end of that story..) that it could be something like an exhaust leak around a manifold gasket or something like that.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:41 AM
mungojerie
Intermediate

deilenberger: Ah, I should update the thread. Yes, I replaced the engine.

19psi: Revving the engine while in neutral doesn't change the speed of the ticking sound. It seems to match the speed of the car, not the RPMs. I need to triple-check, though -- since you asked the question, I've not heard the sound. (It will be back. I hear it 3-5 days/week and am not sure what the pattern is yet.)

Thanks!
Old 03-17-2018, 05:14 PM
mungojerie
Intermediate

Another bit of info. It is much louder while the transmission is in Drive and at around 20mph. If I drop to Neutral, the sound remains but gets much softer. And I confirmed that accelerating while in Neutral doesn't speed the sound up.

I gather from this post it's a CV joint.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: AUDIO: Ticking/knocking. Is this the driveshaft?