Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 review = unsafe at any speed

Old 03-08-2018, 12:30 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Just curious - the lack of grip - was that exhibited in any way? Sliding in corners? PSM flashing? I've owned both - and yes - the DWS-06 has softer sidewalls than the Latitude, but I was never able to find any condition where they felt unsafe. I didn't do a track day with them - perhaps they aren't suited for that sort of use, but you're talking a 5,000lb vehicle (with 500HP) so there is some limit to any tires grip before the PSM decides you've gone too far and starts dialing things back.
Yes, you can feel it in corners, doesn't feel as if I can take them as fast, vehicle leans a little more than the Latitudes and I've lost grip on roads I've taken before at the same speed with the lattitudes that I didn't lose grip on. Not a lot, but it's noticeable.

I'm seeing a 4,784 lbs curb weight for the 2011 turbo, are you referring to the older models when you say 5,000 lbs?
http://autoweek.com/article/car-revi...aw-drivers-log
https://www.thecarconnection.com/ove...e_cayenne_2011
https://www.edmunds.com/porsche/caye...st-specs1.html
https://www.carspecs.us/cars/2011/porsche/cayenne/44387
Old 03-08-2018, 12:34 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I felt pretty much the same when I first drove the cayenne with DWS-06 installed. The first high speed corner felt like crap. The sidewalls flexed way more than the rossos and it was unnerving. Now after getting used to how they feel, it feels fairly normal. But I know if I went back, a real performance tire would feel amazing. Unsafe at any speed? I dont think so. Have had them over 240kmph as well as sweeping S curves at over 200 kmph, (on a track of course), and felt in full control with the DWS-06. As good as a high performance tire? They definitely are not even close. So I can relate to your thoughts.
ok ok, maybe the title is a little bit of clickbait, but going from a performance tire to this and it does feel unsafe if you're use to driving a certain way and try to do the same on these
Old 03-08-2018, 12:36 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by phatz
I love it! Perfect thank you
The following users liked this post:
phatz (11-19-2023)
Old 03-08-2018, 12:39 PM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by racer_65
I've gone through 2 sets of DWS, and I agree it sucks. The reason I chose it was because of its advertised longevity. As it turns out, it only lasts a bit longer. After 22K miles or so, the tires are pretty much worn.
Latitudes lasted me almost 10,000 miles, so if I get 22,000 miles out of these DWS I might change my opinion of them.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:59 PM
reeddnlsn
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I decided to go with the Nitto Motivos about 2 months ago over the DWSs on my '05 CTT. They are a newer tire that seemed to be designed as a direct competitor to to the DWSs. There weren't a ton of reviews at the time (definitely couldn't find anything on a Cayenne), but reviews I could find seemed to think it was a far superior tire. They were also about $400 cheaper at Big-O which was definitely a key decision factor. I have never had DWSs and my previous tires were P-Zeros. I definitely notice more give in cornering with the Motivos over the P-Zeros but honestly less than I was expecting. Wet weather grip is far superior to the P-Zeros and I feel much more comfortable cruising at 75 in the rain. I've driven up to Tahoe in the snow twice and I can say that they are certainly not a snow tire but certainly a good compromise (for my current occasional needs). They were fine at slow speeds in the parking lot and at 40-45ish with a light dusting on the highway. I am by no means going to say that they are great snow tires as I just live in the Bay Area and drive up to Tahoe sometimes. The tires claim longevity and im hoping for 15-20k miles but we'll see.
Old 03-08-2018, 09:17 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by boxsternewbie
I love it! Perfect thank you
I was hoping so
Old 03-08-2018, 10:13 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by reeddnlsn
I decided to go with the Nitto Motivos about 2 months ago over the DWSs on my '05 CTT. They are a newer tire that seemed to be designed as a direct competitor to to the DWSs. There weren't a ton of reviews at the time (definitely couldn't find anything on a Cayenne), but reviews I could find seemed to think it was a far superior tire. They were also about $400 cheaper at Big-O which was definitely a key decision factor. I have never had DWSs and my previous tires were P-Zeros. I definitely notice more give in cornering with the Motivos over the P-Zeros but honestly less than I was expecting. Wet weather grip is far superior to the P-Zeros and I feel much more comfortable cruising at 75 in the rain. I've driven up to Tahoe in the snow twice and I can say that they are certainly not a snow tire but certainly a good compromise (for my current occasional needs). They were fine at slow speeds in the parking lot and at 40-45ish with a light dusting on the highway. I am by no means going to say that they are great snow tires as I just live in the Bay Area and drive up to Tahoe sometimes. The tires claim longevity and im hoping for 15-20k miles but we'll see.
I have been raving about my Nitto Motivo's on my Cayenne in any tire thread I discuss. I agree about wet and dry weather with the Motivos, incredible grip.

Glad you enjoy them. I have over 40k miles on my Motivos, still with several thousand (guessing 10) left. Very impressed.
Old 03-08-2018, 10:45 PM
nychase
Instructor

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Reason Motivo's aren't regularly mentioned is that they aren't made in the 21's most of us with 957's have. Our only choice is the DWS06 for anything close to all-season.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:30 AM
boxsternewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by nychase
Reason Motivo's aren't regularly mentioned is that they aren't made in the 21's most of us with 957's have. Our only choice is the DWS06 for anything close to all-season.
Aww, had my hopes up. Yes I require 21" tires.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:29 AM
MaxLTV
Rennlist Member

Received 1,138 Likes on 560 Posts

I think DWS are good for what they are. They do have some squishiness to them, which may make it feel like they lost grip, but they are far from that. Your passengers will be hitting their heads against windows and suing you for whiplash injuries, and you will think the cayenne is about to roll over before they lose grip. They grip to over .9G cold, and are within 5% of best available all-seasons (but best available all-seasons are not available in Cayenne sizes). But yes, there is that feeling where it feels like the car is no longer under your control for a brief moment after an input. Just have to get used to it. Slightly higher pressures help reduce it. They are not Michelin Pilot Super Sports or Cup 2s, but they are head and shoulders better than, for example, Yokohama Parada (so bad!) or most other cheap tires. And wear is pretty good - mine lost about 1/3 of tread in 11K miles, so should be good for well over 20K. Paradas lasted me about 7K miles/set and winter pirellis got shredded in 4K miles (I drive my cars close to the limit when I can)
Old 03-12-2018, 04:48 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 145 Likes on 125 Posts

Please let this clickbait thread die...
Old 03-13-2018, 07:05 PM
reeddnlsn
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by nychase
Ahhhh okay makes sense.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 review = unsafe at any speed