Porsche Cayenne or BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 03:27 PM
Sanjeev Das
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Porsche Cayenne or BMW X5

Hi folks,
Trying to decide between a Cayenne or an X5. Haven't owned either of these before. Would like some input on which is these is a better buy. I am looking at the xDrive35i vs the base Cayenne model. What do you think of these two? Any thoughts on drive characteristics, interior space etc would be appreciated.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:32 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

What year Cayenne? Ah, it doesn't matter. I can't think of a single reason to go with the X5 unless you prefer regularly visiting the dealership for the free donuts. Or you just like the way it looks better.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:38 PM
importtuner
Instructor

Received 114 Likes on 71 Posts

Cayenne all the way. X5s are made in the USA and they are not reliable.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Sanjeev Das
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by nodoors
What year Cayenne? Ah, it doesn't matter. I can't think of a single reason to go with the X5 unless you prefer regularly visiting the dealership for the free donuts. Or you just like the way it looks better.
It will be the 2019 new Cayenne. But I have only test driven the 2018 one obviously.

What about space? Do you feel the cabin space is adequate? It seems a bit smaller than my current Acura MDX.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:01 PM
Jerry Coleman II
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Coming from a current AND former BMW owner, I don't think you want that headache if you've never experienced one before. I've owned 5 and am currently trying to get out of the wife's 5-series. I traded my X5 4.8 last November for my GTS. The Porsche doesn't have all the bells and whistles that my fully optioned X5 had but all those bells and whistles caused all the issues. Trust me, with the newer BMWs, you get to a point when walking up to the car in the mornings, you wonder WHICH warning light is going to fire up when you hit the start button. Keep in mind, none of mine had hit the 100k mile mark yet either. Luckily my indy mechanic made house-calls and never charged me shop prices for repairs. They're like beautiful girlfriends that love spending YOUR money to shop....Just my 2-cents.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:04 PM
Sanjeev Das
3rd Gear

Originally Posted by Jerry Coleman II
Coming from a current AND former BMW owner, I don't think you want that headache if you've never experienced one before. I've owned 5 and am currently trying to get out of the wife's 5-series. I traded my X5 4.8 last November for my GTS. The Porsche doesn't have all the bells and whistles that my fully optioned X5 had but all those bells and whistles caused all the issues. Trust me, with the newer BMWs, you get to a point when walking up to the car in the mornings, you wonder WHICH warning light is going to fire up when you hit the start button. Keep in mind, none of mine had hit the 100k mile mark yet either. Luckily my indy mechanic made house-calls and never charged me shop prices for repairs. They're like beautiful girlfriends that love spending YOUR money to shop....Just my 2-cents.
:-)
How do you compare the interior space between the two? Is the Cayenne a bit smaller? Especially in the front shoulder width?
Old 02-20-2018, 06:12 PM
Jerry Coleman II
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes Cayenne is a bit more confined but I think that's more of the seat design. I know for sure that the rear seat passenger space is less.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:49 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

I might be crazy but I'd say neither car.

The Cayenne in its base spec is missing all the things that make Cayenne's amazing. The X5 is just unremarkable in my opinion and I guess at least the base spec means you didn't throw anymore money than you had to on an unremarkable car.

I think for significantly less you could get a Volvo XC90 which would be better optioned than either the Cayenne or the X5 even at its base price. If you still want to spend as much - you could probably tick every major option for the XC90 and have a very well equipped car with every feature imaginable including driverless car tech.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:33 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

If you are worried about space and this is going to be your biggest car, then you may be disappointed with either the X5 or Cayenne. I am astounded at how quickly the car fills up compared to our other SUV's.

If space and family considerations are in the mix and the XC90 is in the running I will 2nd that vote. The T8 is pretty stellar. Not sure I would want to own one naked until the sands of time prove it is as reliable as the older models, though. You may have no intention of owning these cars out of warranty if you are looking at a 2019 Cayenne, but I don't think either can be worse than the BMW for reliability.
Old 02-21-2018, 11:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK

The Cayenne in its base spec is missing all the things that make Cayenne's amazing.
Base spec will feel heavy and underpowered. You need to move up to an S at a minimum. The base spec Macans and Cayennes are the dealer service loaners, not the ones you want to own.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:16 PM
phatz
Burning Brakes

Received 163 Likes on 126 Posts

Swap a lease on both cars and drive them for a few months
or
Maybe there some Turos near to you?
Old 02-21-2018, 01:59 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK
I might be crazy but I'd say neither car.

The Cayenne in its base spec is missing all the things that make Cayenne's amazing. The X5 is just unremarkable in my opinion and I guess at least the base spec means you didn't throw anymore money than you had to on an unremarkable car.

I think for significantly less you could get a Volvo XC90 which would be better optioned than either the Cayenne or the X5 even at its base price. If you still want to spend as much - you could probably tick every major option for the XC90 and have a very well equipped car with every feature imaginable including driverless car tech.
How about this option?

[ ] - Not a Volvo

Didn't think so.

BTW, I have both a Cayenne S and a 3.0i X5. Both are great, very different. And probably SO different from a 2019 anything that I won't try to answer the question. My main concern with the older cars I have is reliability and minimal effort in keeping them running well. So I love the 3.0's durability, and am (perhaps needlessly) concerned about cylinder scoring in the Cayenne V8. With a new car, you never know.

Also, I happened to see this thread. Similar, about a year older, discussing older X5-vs-Cayenne's.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...cayenne-s.html

Last edited by oldskewel; 02-21-2018 at 06:32 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:46 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by oldskewel
How about this option?

[ ] - Not a Volvo

Didn't think so.

BTW, I have both a Cayenne S and a 3.0i X5. Both are great, very different. And probably SO different from a 2019 anything that I won't try to answer the question. My main concern with the older cars I have is reliability and minimal effort in keeping them running well. So I love the 3.0's durability, and am (perhaps needlessly) concerned about cylinder scoring in the Cayenne V8. With a new car, you never know.

Also, I happened to see this thread. Similar, about a year older, discussing older X5-vs-Cayenne's.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...cayenne-s.html
What is your issue with the XC90? Other than the transmissions in the early Twin Turbo V6 models and the transmissions in the early V8 years there really isn't much to complain about them. The newest generation is really a huge step up.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:43 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

No issues at all. But they're Volvo's. I don't pay any attention to them. Maybe I'm missing out on something. Which is fine with me. No offense intended. Just a joke.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:53 PM
chsu74
Rennlist Member

Received 311 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
What is your issue with the XC90? Other than the transmissions in the early Twin Turbo V6 models and the transmissions in the early V8 years there really isn't much to complain about them. The newest generation is really a huge step up.
Reliability of a supercharged, turboed 4 banger past warranty?

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne or BMW X5