Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Porsche Cayenne or BMW X5

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2018, 06:00 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts

Totally acceptable to not pay attention to them in previous years. Volvo has really stepped up their game recently though. Take a look at their new lineup sometime. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:18 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by NelaK
Totally acceptable to not pay attention to them in previous years. Volvo has really stepped up their game recently though. Take a look at their new lineup sometime. You'll be pleasantly surprised.
Will do. Thanks.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:02 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by chsu74
Reliability of a supercharged, turboed 4 banger past warranty?
Agreed. Thus my above reference to owning one naked. Need to wait and see what happens. If there is a company that could pull off reliability of an engine this complex I would rank Volvo near the top. They are no stranger to reliable forced induction. I actually would worry more about servicing the plugin electric drive system and all of the self driving associated electronics... I hold EE and CS degrees and have owned no less than 6 electric powered vehicles at any given time for years. I only mention that to validate this next outrageous claim: There will come a time when it just won't make sense to own modern cars out of warranty and this could be one of the first with such a level of complexity. I would certainly put the 918 in that category too, LOL. Fascinating that the price of those keeps soaring up.

If the OP is someone who never intends to own the car out of warranty, then what difference does it really make? Porsche and BMW are certainly no standard to measure against. I don't have enough fingers to count all of the MAJOR engine design and build blunders between those two manufacturers in recent years. The single one that comes to mind that makes Volvo guilty was the 2005 V8 they co-designed with Yamaha with the poor drainage on the back of the engine allowing water to pool around the counterbalance shaft bearing. Only really an issue for people that like to hose down their engines and they promptly addressed it in 2006. Porsche has had cylinder scoring issues across their line for many years that they still refuse to acknowledge and things like IMS bearing failures in the engines that spanned many years, even after efforts to fix the issue. BMW's - should we start with the e46 or e93 engine failures? I am by no means a fanboy of any of these manufactures, but I digress.

Quick Reply: Porsche Cayenne or BMW X5