Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brake pad wear sensors - Porsche only or aftermarket ok?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:52 AM
OvalPiston
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake pad wear sensors - Porsche only or aftermarket ok?

I love the stopping power of the porsche OEM pads, even though the brake dust is crazy. I was told the wear indicators should be replaced when replacing the brake pads.

OEMs are approx $30 each. Aftermarkets are around $8 each.

Advice? Would love to save $88.
Old 02-20-2018, 11:54 AM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Aftermarket are just fine. Save the $$.
Old 02-20-2018, 12:07 PM
OvalPiston
Advanced

Old 02-20-2018, 04:44 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

If you are interested in saving money, you can short the wires and not have to replace them at all. The hybrid solution (which is what I do) is to short one side so that you only have to replace one sensor. The last time I did pads on the front, I drove for 2,500 miles after the brake workshop light came on and could easily have done another couple thousand before they were down to the bone. I think they trip far too soon if you are an enthusiast and take good care of your machines and know what you are doing. Disclaimer: If you don't know what you are looking at and never take the wheels off your car, perhaps this is not the best idea, though.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:01 PM
kyoso23
AutoX

I've used the set from EBC (around $20 on Amazon) without any trouble.
Old 02-20-2018, 07:25 PM
brad@tirerack.com
Former Vendor

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

It's a simple electric circuit - not much to them really. We never have any issues with the ones we sell. They are made by an OEM provider, but are not OEM.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:51 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
If you are interested in saving money, you can short the wires and not have to replace them at all. The hybrid solution (which is what I do) is to short one side so that you only have to replace one sensor. The last time I did pads on the front, I drove for 2,500 miles after the brake workshop light came on and could easily have done another couple thousand before they were down to the bone. I think they trip far too soon if you are an enthusiast and take good care of your machines and know what you are doing. Disclaimer: If you don't know what you are looking at and never take the wheels off your car, perhaps this is not the best idea, though.
... and in case it gives anyone confidence in this method, many cars (such as my BMW X5) use only one sensor on the front and one sensor on the rear. If the brakes wear evenly, one sensor per axle is enough. And if something is wrong to make them wear unevenly, there's a good chance you'll notice that. But not always, so putting one on each side is the safer way to do it.

Quick Reply: Brake pad wear sensors - Porsche only or aftermarket ok?