Sponsored by:

2009 Cayenne heater motor repair

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 03:51 PM
Yukonroadking
Track Day

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
Default 2009 Cayenne heater motor repair

There were links to photos(no longer functioning) to show how to replace the heater/ac blower motor on the 2009 Cayenne. Anyone?
Old 02-19-2018, 04:34 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I believe Pelican Parts has a DIY for that.. worth looking there. The 957 isn't much different from the 958 in that regard - we do have: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...placement.html - which is a text description of doing it on the 958.

If you would care to document the job with photos, I'll be glad to help you develop a new DIY for the 955/957 series. Oh - can you please send me the link to the thread where the photos no longer display?
Old 02-19-2018, 09:39 PM
Yukonroadking
Track Day

Thanks.
I did look at the Pelican Parts Technical Article on the subject, but it seemed to me that their photos were of a previous generation 955 model.
I say this because the posting you linked above on the 958 blower motor replacement has different instructions than Pelican.
I checked the VW Touareg posts on their website,(with video) on the understanding that the same blower motors are used, but I remain unsure which instructions are applicable to my 2009 Cayenne 957.

The dead link on the other thread was:
http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayenneg...an-Replacement
Old 02-20-2018, 12:04 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Originally Posted by Yukonroadking
Thanks.
I did look at the Pelican Parts Technical Article on the subject, but it seemed to me that their photos were of a previous generation 955 model.
I say this because the posting you linked above on the 958 blower motor replacement has different instructions than Pelican.
I checked the VW Touareg posts on their website,(with video) on the understanding that the same blower motors are used, but I remain unsure which instructions are applicable to my 2009 Cayenne 957.

The dead link on the other thread was:
http://gallery.rennlist.com/cayenneg...an-Replacement
Can you give me the link to the original thread where the missing photo appeared? The link above is to the actual image. TIA.
Old 02-20-2018, 03:09 PM
Yukonroadking
Track Day

Sorry. The original thread that carried the broken link to the gallery is:
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...lfunction.html
Old 02-20-2018, 09:42 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Got it thanks. I sent a PM to the author..
Old 03-06-2018, 02:49 PM
Yukonroadking
Track Day

Here are the steps I took in replacing the squealing blower motor on my 2009 Cayenne S. I found a new motor on Ebay for $63 from am-autoparts.com. Compare to $400 plus at Porsche for a VW marked part.

1. This starts with the same procedure as replacing the cabin filter under the glove box. And it makes sense to replace that filter now.

2. It is perhaps difficult to spot, but there is a single T-20 Torx screw holding the edge of the plastic panel in the footwell, just below the glovebox. Remove. (The Touareg apparently does not have this screw, so do not be confused by their instructions.)

3. The plastic panel cover pulls straight down from two clips below the front of the glove box, and is held in place against the firewall by two L-shaped clips. After pulling down the edge underneath the glove box, pull the panel towards the passenger seat and it will unclip from those firewall slide-on clips.

4. Carefully remove the electrical plugs from the interior footwell light, the two 12v power sockets, as well as the plug to the blower motor. Carefully squeeze the clip-on plugs to remove.

5. I have never before seen those two 12v power sockets, and did not know they existed.

6. Next, you will see a plastic air distribution duct that runs from side to side. Pull straight down on it, and it will unclip, and drop down.

7. There are seven 5.5mm bolts which hold in the blower motor. Five are obvious, and two are mounted up at the top. This is much easier if you have purchased the replacement motor first, and can examine the new motor for the placement of the seven bolts.

8. Stop to marvel that your toolbox contains every socket size known, with the sole exception of a 5.5mm. Before you run out to get a 5.5mm nut driver or socket, (and good luck finding that!) a 7/32 inch socket or nut driver works fine.

9. You may have some interference with the wiring harness bundle on the right side.

10. The motor should drop, or be pulled straight down and out.

11. Vacuum out the housing, if any sign of debris

12. This is a good time to replace the cabin air/pollen filter. You will see the rectangular filter housing. The filter stands vertically, and the filter door is held closed by two more 5.5mm screws. Remove the two screws and the filter door hinges down and out and off. Tap the filter to get it to drop down and out. Note carefully the direction arrow on the side edge of the old filter, as you will need to orient the new replacement the same way. Re-install the cabin filter door. Consider how you will spend the money you just saved.

13. The motor has a ridge or groove along its mounting edge. This groove must align and slide into the housing to provide the necessary seal and allow the screw holes to align.

14. Replace all seven screws. A good trick to help align the two upper screws that are harder to reach: Put two small pieces of electrical tape on the upper edge covering the two screw holes. Push the two upper screws through the tape to hold them in place while you use your nut driver to fasten. Do not overtighten and strip the plastic housing.

15. Plug in the blower motor and test that it works.

16. Replace the duct by snapping it in.

17. Re-attach the electrical plugs to the cover and re-install.

Quick Reply: 2009 Cayenne heater motor repair