Sponsored by:

Left turn signal bulb not work

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 02:00 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Left turn signal bulb not work

Hi RL, my left turn signal has not been working on my 2005 CS. It gives me an excuse to drive my other Porsche more. However I esa at the dealership yesterday and bought a bulb, changed it and the turn signal still doesn't work. I do get a check direction message on the display. Do I need a new container for the bulb?
Old 02-16-2018, 02:12 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 138 Likes on 111 Posts

Which left turn signal? If it's the one in the headlight assembly, you might have the same problem I had in my 2004 S. Which was that the electrical connector was not making a full connection due to mechanical looseness in the whole assembly there.

To check that, you might try popping out the headlight, remove the car-side wiring harness and then plug it in to the removed headlight. When I did that test (as the second step after checking bulb resistance), everything worked perfectly. So I just tightened everything up mechanically (not as easy as it might sound), and the lights are all good again.

Burned / melted wiring in that area is not uncommon on these trucks, so inspect for that too. But mine had no problems there.
Old 02-16-2018, 03:25 PM
DWPC
Burning Brakes

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm dealing with the same problem. I suggest that you pull out the whole headlamp unit and then mark the TS bulb holder for reference and remove it, then check the all the contacts on the holder and in the unit for signs of arcing; burned or heavy pitting on the contact. A fixed contact in the big unit on mine was completely burned through and the adjacent plastic melted (!). Unrepairable without McGyvering the headlamp unit. I'm deciding whether to drop $400 for another aftermarket Valeo unit. I've seen enough posts about this problem to think it should be a safety recall. Fat chance.
Old 02-17-2018, 07:01 PM
ocmacman
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 35 Posts

Pulled out the driver side headlamp. Pretty easy. changed the bulb. I will try to put the passenger side turn signal bulb and container on the driver side to see if switching them works.

Quick Reply: Left turn signal bulb not work