Sponsored by:

For those of you considering "upgrading" to a 2011+

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 03:59 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Default For those of you considering "upgrading" to a 2011+

I will say that the new car drives much better on the road due to the more RWD bias and the PDCC/PCCB/PTV+, and that the interior is pretty great.

But while my new car is not even listed for sale, I have people messaging me wanting to buy it around the price I bought it for (the old ad is still up on here I believe).

The 2004 CTT is in just as good of mechanical shape due to all the maintenance I've poured into it. It is way more capable off-road and drives almost as well-on road (if optioned with PDCC and PCCB, just as well). Yet no one has any interest in buying it at A QUARTER of the price.

I think the 2011 CTT is a good fit for me, and I think it is worth more than the 2004 it's replacing. But even with 100k less miles, it's not FOUR TIMES better. It's just not.

So if you're on the fence (as I was) between keeping an aging 955/957 or paying a bunch for a 2011, I would say you should just dump some more maintenance money into the 955 or consider a well-optioned 957. The premium of the 958 isn't worth it.

All you're really getting is passengers going "whoa these BUTTONS and the BIG ROOF are SOOO COOL" but those people aren't paying the upkeep or enjoying the drive.

Food for thought; keep rocking your gen 1s my friends. Saggy headliners be damned.
Old 02-15-2018, 04:29 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

I can agree with this to a certain extent. I went from an 04 CTT to an 11 CTT (with a 6-month stint with a new Silverado in between) and while the 11 is not 4x better than the 04 in any metric, it is MUCH better. In my case, the 04 had 180k+ miles on it and my 11 has only 42k. It was getting harder and harder to justify depending on and daily driving my high mileage German, high-performance luxury SUV. I then had 3 months in a row with four relatively major repairs needed (well documented, not entirely unexpected) and had enough of the vehicle being unusable while waiting for parts to show up. Beyond that, the 04 developed a seemingly incurable looseness in the steering that rebuilding the front end, and multiple trips to the dealer and indy couldn't identify (much less fix.)

All I tell myself is "Thank You" to the 1st owner of my 11 CTT, that lost $100k in depreciation in 40k miles. Without you and people like you I would not be in such a vehicle.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:01 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

How does the gas mileage compare between the two for you? It is always hard to compare unless the same driver with same routes has plenty of data on tank averages.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:02 PM
s-works
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Probably in the minority here, but I really liked the Cayenne when it first came out. As time went on, I was in the hunt for a really nice preowned one. For whatever reason, ended up with a BMW X5. Justifying it was cheaper.
Happen to come across this 2009TT a few years back. It was the ONE!. It was unbelieveable how clean with low miles with everything but pccb.. Sold the X5 shortly afterwards and could not be happier. Finding a really nice
955/957 can be a challenge and I think that most people looking for Cayenne now end up going newer so they can get a warrantee.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:30 PM
sapman
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by s-works

Probably in the minority here, but I really liked the Cayenne when it first came out. As time went on, I was in the hunt for a really nice preowned one. For whatever reason, ended up with a BMW X5. Justifying it was cheaper.
Happen to come across this 2009TT a few years back. It was the ONE!. It was unbelieveable how clean with low miles with everything but pccb.. Sold the X5 shortly afterwards and could not be happier. Finding a really nice
955/957 can be a challenge and I think that most people looking for Cayenne now end up going newer so they can get a warrantee.
What color is that? Ive not seen it before and it looks great.

I have no intention of trading my 2005 955TT. Nothing less than $70k comes close for what I need in a daily.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

I'm curious - where did you hear the 958 has more rear-wheel bias than the 955/957?
It's always been 38%r/62%f

http://pcaucr.org/tech-session-porsc...-distribution/

It's identical except for the diesel and hybrid - which are 42%f/68%r

I've owned both, and I prefer the 958. Aside from improved ride quality (perhaps helped by the adaptive/adjustable suspension and air springs) it just works better for me. The seats are more comfortable, the audio better, steering feels a bit more precise and between the '06 S/ti and the '11 CTT - power is amazing. The '06 S felt OK for power, adequate. The '11 CTT I rarely get to really use all the power it has - it gets to illegal speeds too fast. The interior of the 955/957 just seems dated - and not in a really good way. And despite my owning a beta-year 958 - reliability has been much greater. There are some bugs/flaws - but not the number that showed up in the early 955's.

YMMV - and I'm sure owners-confirmation has a lot to do with everyone's opinions in this sort of thread.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:54 PM
s-works
Intermediate

Olive Green Metallic. It had only 34K miles on it about 2 years ago when I bought it. The prior owner had full front clip clear bra including front doors. As the new owner, I had the rest done.
I am sure not that many Cayennes that have been totally clear bra'd. Like what AGA stated above. The first owner took about a $110K hit off the original msrp.. I also say "Thank You".
Every time I get in it, just amazed of how well it drives, sounds and the smells of the leather interior.
Old 02-15-2018, 05:58 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
How does the gas mileage compare between the two for you? It is always hard to compare unless the same driver with same routes has plenty of data on tank averages.
I'm not the two of them - but - since I've owned both (one an S and one a Turbo).. the 958 wins that contest hands down. In my '06 955 S - I averaged 18MPG going from NJ to California and back (about 7500 miles), on my '11 958 CTT - I've averaged 21MPG - same trip - twice. It also does better than the 955 around town (it was awfully easy to get the 955 into single digits around town.. the 958 CTT seems to average 15-17MPG around town.)
Old 02-16-2018, 12:06 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
I will say that the new car drives much better on the road due to the more RWD bias and the PDCC/PCCB/PTV+, and that the interior is pretty great.

But while my new car is not even listed for sale, I have people messaging me wanting to buy it around the price I bought it for (the old ad is still up on here I believe).

The 2004 CTT is in just as good of mechanical shape due to all the maintenance I've poured into it. It is way more capable off-road and drives almost as well-on road (if optioned with PDCC and PCCB, just as well). Yet no one has any interest in buying it at A QUARTER of the price.

I think the 2011 CTT is a good fit for me, and I think it is worth more than the 2004 it's replacing. But even with 100k less miles, it's not FOUR TIMES better. It's just not.

So if you're on the fence (as I was) between keeping an aging 955/957 or paying a bunch for a 2011, I would say you should just dump some more maintenance money into the 955 or consider a well-optioned 957. The premium of the 958 isn't worth it.

All you're really getting is passengers going "whoa these BUTTONS and the BIG ROOF are SOOO COOL" but those people aren't paying the upkeep or enjoying the drive.

Food for thought; keep rocking your gen 1s my friends. Saggy headliners be damned.

Thanks for this. It reenforces my thought of keeping my 957 GTS. At just 5k miles per year, I’ll hopefully have many more years of driving to go before replacement. Either I’ll eventually replace with upcoming Cayenne generation or add a GT3.
Old 02-16-2018, 07:55 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

That olive green 957TT pictured above is what I would consider the "sweet spot" of cayennes: 4.8 engine, updated exterior that looks as good or better than the 958, still has the bulletproof old transfer case with the low-range, yet the price has really bottomed out on them. You're missing out on the fancy interior but that's about it.

I'm not sure what the literature *says* about the two generations, but we do know that the late cayenne has a different design TC and I was under the impression that one of the purposes of it was to offer more control of the front/rear bias.

Regardless, I can tell you that it is a *fact* that if you huck the early CTT into a corner, manual shifting in 2nd or 3rd with PSM off, and you start to throttle out of the corner, the car doesn't rotate, and you feel the inside front wheel fruitlessly try to put down power and slip. It still accelerates out of the corner, but it does so like an AWD car- without rotation.

In the 2011 (and maybe this is only because I have PTV+), doing the same thing results in a pleasing rotation as the power is applied to the rear, there's no detectable wheel slip up front, and even a bit of countersteer is required. It's glorious.

Gas mileage is definitely 1-3mpg better on the newer one. But honestly...that's a drop in the bucket that is the price difference between the two cars.
Old 02-16-2018, 08:05 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Originally Posted by s-works

Does this have PDCC? And if so, would you like to trade it plus some cash for a nice 2011 CTT?
Old 02-16-2018, 10:51 AM
porsche911md
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently got my wife a '08 GTS and I really like driving it. I drive daily a F150 truck plus I have a '16 M4 and '06 91, but the 957 GTS is a blast.

I did look into getting a '13 958 Turbo with similar miles to the GTS, but at a $20k premium.... I just don't think it's worth it!

I've driven both 957 and 958, even if the 958 feels much lighter on it's feet and the interior is a step above the 957, the difference in price just don't justify it for me.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:54 AM
s-works
Intermediate

Hey knfeparty... Thanks for the compliment.. You hit it spot on as being the "sweet spot" in my opinion as well. Your explanation of the differance between the 2 for cornering is 100% accurate. Mine does have pdcc and with just about
all the boxes checked except pccb. It came with 2 tone full leather plus upgraded seats and dark walnut pulls. I was so lucky to be in the right place at the right time. Thank you kindly for the offer, but I just love the
character of it with all the extra cosmetic bits.
Old 02-16-2018, 11:14 AM
mclaudio
Burning Brakes

Received 37 Likes on 26 Posts

As a motorsport enthusiast/racer, I’ve appreciated the 957 (particularly the GTS drivetrain) for its motorsports heritage and success i.e. Transsyberia rally. The newer Cayennes don’t seem to have this direct heritage.

Frankly, I hope Porsche races the new Cayenne and get race credibility which has been part of the brand’s earlier heritage. I tend to own vehicles with such direct race heritage.
Old 02-16-2018, 12:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

I have no interest in a Cayenne any newer than my low-mileage 957 TTS. I like that the interior isn't all fancy and full of screens (1 is plenty). I like that it's very similar to what's in my 997s for a homogenous interior feel among my newer Porsches. I like the more masculine and beefier body. On the 958, I just don't like the rounded roofline, rounded tailgate, and teardrop shaped taillights - everything is just too round and smoothed out. I like my 957 so much, I just spent a small fortune to make it even more 957-ish with a widebody kit, some intake and exhaust upgrades and some larger wheels that complement the larger body. I'm glad I found this low-mileage one so I can keep it for 20 years at 5,000 - 7,500 miles per year. If stuff breaks, I'll fix it.

Quick Reply: For those of you considering "upgrading" to a 2011+