Sponsored by:

For those of you considering "upgrading" to a 2011+

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2018, 05:01 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
I like the more masculine and beefier body. On the 958, I just don't like the rounded roofline, rounded tailgate, and teardrop shaped taillights - everything is just too round and smoothed out.
Yeah, I think there are a lot of us that don't dig the 958's styling resemblances to a japanese minivan. Ditching the ability to open the glass on the rear hatch and no low range transfer case are deal killers for me to upgrade. I regularly have contraptions hitched to the back where I need to get in and out of the hatch. Some of us actually use these things as utility vehicles. Also, I was really hoping they would bring some of the masculinity back in the newest version. Since they have not I am committed to keep mine running for many years to come despite Porsche's efforts to make that difficult and expensive.
Old 02-16-2018, 05:04 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
In the 2011 (and maybe this is only because I have PTV+), doing the same thing results in a pleasing rotation as the power is applied to the rear, there's no detectable wheel slip up front, and even a bit of countersteer is required. It's glorious.
This is definitely the PTV+ in action. I've driven a 2011 turbo without PTV+ and it feels like it has a LOT more understeer. The first time I felt the PTV+ doing its job I looked in the mirror to make sure I wasn't leaving large black marks on the road in some dukes-of-hazard style fish tail. That's about what it feels like and it a bit addicting, especially coupled with PDCC

Agreed on the mileage, ~2mpg better overall.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:44 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

^^ Thanks for the clarification. I don't think PTV+ existed on the 957 and unfortunately there doesn't seem to be an aftermarket LSD available.

I don't think we will see a 957 rise in value like the 993 did, because even though the 958 doesn't check all the boxes for us car enthusiast / utility user types, it checks all the boxes for the general buying public.

Girls, especially, drool all over the 958. They describe it with words like "majestic" and they can't believe it's my car, etc. Porsche knew what they were doing with the re-design: the buying public is just using these as gently-rolling status symbols. A fancy interior and a few bucks saved at the gas pump were way more important than any of the real utility stuff.

I will say I don't miss the opening glass as much as I thought I would, because of the power liftgate and because it seems to me that the 958 hatch opens much higher than the 955 one. Again, a power 957 liftgate would be the perfect compromise.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:57 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,154 Likes on 3,923 Posts

Originally Posted by knfeparty
Again, a power 957 liftgate would be the perfect compromise.
Um, my 957 Turbo S has a power liftgate - you push the button and the motor opens it up. You can also set the top limit position for how high you want it to go so it doesn't ram into your cargo box if you have one installed or if not, can make it go up taller. It power closes too - and quickly. Also has the wiper switch to only open the upper glass and not the whole door.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:24 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I have never thought about this because I do not have a power lift gate, but does it have a sensor to detect if you are parked up next to a garage door/wall or have something hitched to the back? If not, I would be bummed if someone accidentally hit the button and it simultaneously did body damage to the cargo door and my precious toys secured to the hitch basket... kind of like when I backed one of my collectible vehicles into another. Doh!!!
Old 02-20-2018, 06:32 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by nodoors
I have never thought about this because I do not have a power lift gate, but does it have a sensor to detect if you are parked up next to a garage door/wall or have something hitched to the back? If not, I would be bummed if someone accidentally hit the button and it simultaneously did body damage to the cargo door and my precious toys secured to the hitch basket... kind of like when I backed one of my collectible vehicles into another. Doh!!!
No, other than a fairly sensitive resistance switch. It'll stop before doing any major damage, but certainly not before scratching the paint.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:25 AM
Shadows89
Instructor

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Since we have a lot of 957 user here, what are some of the must have options for a 08-10 ctt? Other than pdcc and full leather?
I've been looking for one and haven't been able to find a well spec'ed one yet (way less options than the 958)

Thanks
Old 02-22-2018, 07:47 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shadows89
Since we have a lot of 957 user here, what are some of the must have options for a 08-10 ctt? Other than pdcc and full leather?
I've been looking for one and haven't been able to find a well spec'ed one yet (way less options than the 958)

Thanks
Here was my want list when shopping for mine.

Southern Climate Car
Low Mileage
Black on black - for the widebody kit and full color change I was planning.
Panoramic Roof System (code 3FU)
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control PDCC - hydraulic antiroll bars (code 0AW)
Soft Look Leather Seats for Smooth Leather (code N7D) - I don't like alcantara seat centers
Comfort Seats with Memory (code PE4)
Black Full Leather Interior (code NQ)
Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes PCCB (code 1LX fronts & 2EH rears)
No Trailer Coupling without ball (code 1D6) - didn't want this since I was replacing the rear bumper and wanted a smooth rear look
Dark Burr Maple High Gloss Interior Trim (code 5MG)
Air Suspension with PASM (code 1BK)
4 Zone Automatic Air Conditioning (code 9AH)
Bluetooth (code 9A5)
Bose Sound (code 9VL)
Backup Camera System
Park Assist

Found one that checked all of the boxes except for PCCB, the 4-zone climate control, and back-up camera. Didn't actually realize I didn't have the back-up camera until after I'd bought it (whoops), but not that big a deal and I can always add one. Bought a complete PCCB setup from a 958 and will be retrofitting that as well, so all I'm missing is the 4-zone climate control, but do have the rear heated seats for the kids.
Old 02-22-2018, 09:51 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I don’t think it has been mentioned here but I have talked to 2 guys trackside that now have a 958 and they commented that the older versions that were 500lbs heavier made a better tow vehicle. I sure love the new interiors but my 2006 is for towing and the only time the rear seats are up is when I haul my kids around for sports.

I dont know if anybody here can confirm confirm or deny this about the towing but it’s logical.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:37 AM
Shadows89
Instructor

Here was my want list when shopping for mine.

Southern Climate Car
Low Mileage
Black on black - for the widebody kit and full color change I was planning.
Panoramic Roof System (code 3FU)
Porsche Dynamic Chassis Control PDCC - hydraulic antiroll bars (code 0AW)
Soft Look Leather Seats for Smooth Leather (code N7D) - I don't like alcantara seat centers
Comfort Seats with Memory (code PE4)
Black Full Leather Interior (code NQ)
Porsche Carbon Ceramic Brakes PCCB (code 1LX fronts & 2EH rears)
No Trailer Coupling without ball (code 1D6) - didn't want this since I was replacing the rear bumper and wanted a smooth rear look
Dark Burr Maple High Gloss Interior Trim (code 5MG)
Air Suspension with PASM (code 1BK)
4 Zone Automatic Air Conditioning (code 9AH)
Bluetooth (code 9A5)
Bose Sound (code 9VL)
Backup Camera System
Park Assist

Found one that checked all of the boxes except for PCCB, the 4-zone climate control, and back-up camera. Didn't actually realize I didn't have the back-up camera until after I'd bought it (whoops), but not that big a deal and I can always add one. Bought a complete PCCB setup from a 958 and will be retrofitting that as well, so all I'm missing is the 4-zone climate control, but do have the rear heated seats for the kids.
Hi Petaz,

Thanks for the reply. Good point on the trailer ball as I'm planning for a wide kit too. Doesn't the air suspension come standard on the ctt trim? Also, is there a difference between the backup camera vs parking assist?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:01 AM
agdamis
Rennlist Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

This is very interesting and timely. I have a bare bones 2008 S which is the family trickster and GT3 tow vehicle. Only has 69k miles and I am not in hurry to sell but part of me wants to upgrade into something more modern. I was kicking around looking at an S or GTS or even diesel a couple of years old and although they are much nicer interiors and more modern I am put off by the 6 turbo vs a v8. Maybe I am a complete dinosaur but I like my naturally aspirated v8. Any experiences with new generation engines and drivability / towing capability?
Old 02-22-2018, 11:13 AM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Miamirice
I don’t think it has been mentioned here but I have talked to 2 guys trackside that now have a 958 and they commented that the older versions that were 500lbs heavier made a better tow vehicle. I sure love the new interiors but my 2006 is for towing and the only time the rear seats are up is when I haul my kids around for sports.

I dont know if anybody here can confirm confirm or deny this about the towing but it’s logical.
Haven't towed anything with the new one yet. Not sure if it's going to be death on the Transfer Case or not. I will say that the PCCBs will be welcome when towing, as will the 8 speed.
That being said, the old one is a *fantastic* tow vehicle.
Old 02-22-2018, 12:29 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Shadows89
Hi Petaz,

Thanks for the reply. Good point on the trailer ball as I'm planning for a wide kit too. Doesn't the air suspension come standard on the ctt trim? Also, is there a difference between the backup camera vs parking assist?
Yes, air suspension is standard on both the TT and the TTS. Parking assist is sensors in the front and rear bumpers (see pic) that communicate to the light array atop the dash. The camera is a camera that displays on the PCM screen.

Which widebody kit are you going with?
Old 02-22-2018, 01:40 PM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

On the new interiors they did away with the dedicated front and rear light arrays for parking assist. Now you get a top-down graphic of the cayenne with bubbles in front and behind, showing where objects are in green, yellow or red. This info is on the PCM display. I actually kind of miss the dedicated light arrays.
Old 02-22-2018, 04:24 PM
Shadows89
Instructor

Yes, air suspension is standard on both the TT and the TTS. Parking assist is sensors in the front and rear bumpers (see pic) that communicate to the light array atop the dash. The camera is a camera that displays on the PCM screen.

Which widebody kit are you going with?
Really liking the S66 mk2 look.
Found several listings on ebay too.

Quick Reply: For those of you considering "upgrading" to a 2011+