Sponsored by:

Exhaust coming out from bottom of car

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2018, 01:56 PM
NelaK
Pro

Received 44 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Exhaust coming out from bottom of car

I noticed on some really cold days that I can see exhaust (or at least hot air) coming out the bottom of the car. Roughly under the front passenger seat.

Is this normal?

I'm not getting any codes that might pop up with an exhaust leak or any other abnormal behavior.

Video of what I'm talking about: https://imgur.com/a/Cd6vE
Old 02-15-2018, 02:44 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

No. This is not normal. Neither is carbon monoxide poisoning of which you and your passengers may end up with if you keep driving your P!G.
Get it checked as soon as possible; or drive with your windows open.
Old 02-15-2018, 02:51 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

It is probably the clamp between the secondary cats and the pipe running to the muffler. I had that come loose on my CTT. It popped loose after a WOT run from a stoplight and I instantly heard it. It made the exhaust quite loud and produced a ton of popping on deceleration.

I was concerned it was the flex pipe in the downtube and very glad it was an easy 3 minute fix. Has been fine for the past year and a half since. I would check that out before taking it to a shop even if you have 2 left big toes for thumbs.
Old 02-16-2018, 06:47 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
I would check that out before taking it to a shop even if you have 2 left big toes for thumbs.
I agree, but given the ice/snow/salt conditions where that was taken... I'd be fine paying someone else to take a look!
Old 02-16-2018, 08:48 AM
NelaK
Pro

Originally Posted by wkearney99
I agree, but given the ice/snow/salt conditions where that was taken... I'd be fine paying someone else to take a look!
Only reason I didn't immediately check. Below -40C. You can hear the snow crunching.
Old 02-16-2018, 10:56 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 154 Likes on 109 Posts

I saw the hesitation in the video when you crouched over... too many layers of winter clothing? Or, as I might complain, too much time at the buffet?

As an aside, can I mention how darned handy cameras in phones are for diagnosing/documenting stuff like this? Easy uploading to youtube and the like... it's fantastically convenient. I use mine to both quickly document anything with a serial number... AND use the zoom function to save me from having to dig up the higher-power reading glasses!
Old 02-16-2018, 11:09 AM
NelaK
Pro

More like no winter clothing. No jacket or gloves makes you think twice about laying down on the ground.

And yes - absolutely. Phone cameras are great. I also keep an action cam with a shoulder mount for when I'm working on something. That way I have an exact record of everything I did and where everything goes.

Quick Reply: Exhaust coming out from bottom of car