Sponsored by:

Android Installers quick check on MOST decoder

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2018, 06:02 PM
BrianC72gt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Android Installers quick check on MOST decoder

I pulled the old PCM 2.1 head unit, and plugged in the new Ali-express special. 9" Android 7.1 quad core for $260, plus a MOST decoder for another $90. Everything worked...except no sound. Hmmm scratches head. I consulted the non-existent installation instructions, but suspected the MOST unit. I tried feeding sound into the MOST using my phone and some sketchy wiring... mobile headphone jack that ends in male RCA held to male RCA at right angles. Don't ask. Nothing. There are one or two wires the old unit used that the new unit doesn't, so I tried to figure out their function. One Brown on the blue plug, and one White/red stripe on the yellow. Not sure, maybe CAN or K line. Plugged the PCM back in without those mystery wires and it still produced sound on the FM radio. I also noticed the fiber optic output on the back of the radio lit up before I had pushed that Bose optical plug in. Ah Ha! I finally pulled the MOST box and harness, hooked it to a spare car battery and...nothing. the fiber optic output didn't light up. I went back and reviewed my order and noticed the listing images have changed. Now the MOST box has three little wires in the connector instead of two: Yellow, Black and RED. Mine only had yellow & black. I temporarily rigged up a skinny third wire to match the new image in the ebay Seicane listing and tried the battery again. Red & Yellow to hot, black to ground, and now finally one side of the fiber optic output lights up a slow flashing red light. Hooked it up with my jerry rigged connection and it works fine.

The take-away: Simply apply voltage to your MOST box. No fiber optic signal light equals dead box or missing wiring.

Minor headache that need never happen. Still love the headunit.

Regards,

Brian C.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:52 AM
dorumac
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What about the info in the dash clocks behind the steering wheel (name of the songs, navigation direction etc)? are they still working?
Old 02-14-2018, 04:54 AM
BrianC72gt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

I don't see anything showing up there. I was just doing a quick fit, plugging everything in to see that it all works / any issues. The steering wheel controls work fine, but no dash display. The song info - even songs on radio stations - does show up on the Android screen though. At this price point, it is a small sacrifice, and really updates the look and function of the center console. I'm happy with it, your mileage may vary. As for naigation, I'm running Waze or Google maps so I get voice prompts to turn anyway. I'm currently running the Liam Neeson voice on Waze, pretty funny.

Here is the unit i ordered: https://www.aliexpress.com/snapshot/...Id=32805731710

Added a dodgy MOST box for $90 and Bob's your uncle.

Quick Reply: Android Installers quick check on MOST decoder