Switching to LED fog lights

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 01:12 AM
Turbo Alex
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Switching to LED fog lights

Hi,
I replaced my stock fog lights by LED ones on my 2009 Turbo S. Now I get the "check fog lights" warning sign. I believe that is because the voltage of LEDs is lower as the normal stock bulbs. What can be done to fix that problem?

Big thx for help!
Alex
Old 02-11-2018, 01:46 AM
dorumac
Intermediate

You should buy the led with canbus error free.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:01 AM
Turbo Alex
Rennlist Member

Any chance I can still get it fixed by adding a resistor to the LEDs? If I understand it correctly a CANBUS is similar to a resistor, right?
Old 02-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

On my Misha build I'm installing the 958 lights onto my 957 Turbo S along with different PIAA led fog lights. I used the canbus resistor boxes for the turn signals, the parking lights and the fog lights. Since I have separate fog lights in the lower bumber openings, I'm using the white led fog lights of the 958 units as DRLs and hooked them up with a piggybacked fuse to a switched circuit in the left side dash fuse box.

I left the OEM wiring harness completely intact and bought the connector mates to them so I could split off the separate circuits and add the resistor boxes without having to slice into the OEM harness.

I tested everything at the body shop and they should be installing the front bumper wiring harness I built with the resistors when they install the painted front bumper this week.

Old 02-11-2018, 01:58 PM
Turbo Alex
Rennlist Member

That looks awesome!!! My biggest respect for the work!!! When will it be finished?
Old 02-11-2018, 02:20 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Alex
Any chance I can still get it fixed by adding a resistor to the LEDs? If I understand it correctly a CANBUS is similar to a resistor, right?
No, a can-bus is a computer network system that your cayenne uses to make accessories (among other things) function. It knows the amperage the fog lights should be drawing and any value out of range throws an error. You need a bulb with proper total draw to it throw a code, this the need for a resistor in the bulb assembly.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

That looks awesome!!! My biggest respect for the work!!! When will it be finished?
It has taken so long that we've set an appointment at the local dealer for 2/26 to have the fuel drained and replaced and a couple other things gone over then it should be driveable.

Thanks.

Then I need to work out the axial to radial adapters for the 958 PCCB brake upgrade, experiment with different spacer widths to get the proper stance and fitment with the new wheels, and set the Skybox on and drill it for the new mounting method that will let the Pano roof open with it installed.

So driveable and looking about right in early March. Completely finished probably May.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:33 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jeff spahn
No, a can-bus is a computer network system that your cayenne uses to make accessories (among other things) function. It knows the amperage the fog lights should be drawing and any value out of range throws an error. You need a bulb with proper total draw to it throw a code, this the need for a resistor in the bulb assembly.
I wired in this type from amazon and the lights have tested fine without any bulb out codes.

Turn signals would hyper-flash and the fog lights would blink on and off, then turn off without them, so adding them definitely changed the behsvior.

We'll see if they work properly during normal on-road use or not.

Old 02-11-2018, 06:34 PM
Turbo Alex
Rennlist Member

Damn, that pics puts hearts in my eyes!!! Big thanks for sharing!!!
Old 02-11-2018, 06:41 PM
Turbo Alex
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Petza914
I wired in this type from amazon and the lights have tested fine without any bulb out codes.

Turn signals would hyper-flash and the fog lights would blink on and off, then turn off without them, so adding them definitely changed the behsvior.

We'll see if they work properly during normal on-road use or not.

If I install them too should this fix the problem?
Old 02-11-2018, 06:43 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

If I install them too should this fix the problem?
I'm thinking yes. They're only $20 or so bucks, so not a big gamble.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:56 PM
Turbo Alex
Rennlist Member

Oh sweet! Please send me the amazon link or the name of the part so I can search for them! I need 2 for the 2 LED bulbs right?
Old 02-11-2018, 09:18 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Oh sweet! Please send me the amazon link or the name of the part so I can search for them! I need 2 for the 2 LED bulbs right?
You'll need one for each side but they're sold in pairs. Just search on Amazon for LED canbus resistor and pick some that are encapsulated in the black box. You'll probably have to cut the ends off and connect them inline or get adapter pigtails to plug them into the current harness. If I remember, that connector is hard to find. You need connector number 357972762. I've been able to find them used on eBay from VW lights.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:47 PM
Turbo Alex
Rennlist Member

Big thx, My LEDs require a H11 plug. If I order this canbus resistors should I be able to plug it in between the cable and the LEDs or will I still need an adapter?

https://www.amazon.com.mx/autolizer-...s+resistor+h11
Old 02-12-2018, 05:46 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Big thx, My LEDs require a H11 plug. If I order this canbus resistors should I be able to plug it in between the cable and the LEDs or will I still need an adapter?

htneed for the yellow plugs and //www.amazon.com.mx/autolizer-%C3%BAltima-intervensi%C3%B3n-errores-adaptadores/dp/B07675BY8S/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1518464426&sr=8-3&keywords=LED+canbus+resistor+h11
So with those, the one end of the resistor will mate up to your new fog lights, then you'll need the plug with pigtail number I provided for the male end of the female connector that plugs into your current fog lights. This way its completely reversible and the only wire cutting you do is on the canbus resistor you bought, not on your vehicle wiring.

Punch this eBay item # 253330876267 in and buy these. This is what you need for the yellow plugs and pigtails.

Quick Reply: Switching to LED fog lights