Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine knock in 2010 turbo s

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2018, 09:42 PM
Mackayak
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As you can tell I am not a mechanic but the quote included a long block rebuild with all the labour and parts in making that happen. I just assumed with about 30 hours of labour that the car would be ready sometime by the end of the week. But you may be right and I should not expect the car back anytime soon. Hope it all works out.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:55 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

You will be lucky to get it back in a month if they are actually rebuilding the engine and doing everything properly. Two important things will let us help you out:

1. How do they plan to address the cylinder walls in the block?
2. Provide a list of parts they are going to replace during the process.
3. Are they willing to do any work in the top end? With 150k miles there are some things that most people on here would highly recommend doing while things are apart and easy to access.
4. I would also go ahead and have them install new engine mounts while that sucker is out.

Most of us are still not convinced it is a spun rod bearing. I recommend you have the scope the lower cylinder walls and send you pics at their earliest convenience if the engine is already out, so you can be sure this is not scoring. Regardless, if I were to go through all the pain of pulling a CTT engine, you can be sure I would get liners installed to ensure that the engine would no longer be subject to it happening again - especially if I lived in Canada. Hopefully they are experts and that is in their plan.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:48 AM
Mackayak
Banned

Hey there!
Like I said I am not a mechanic! Turns out two of the cylinder walls were badly scarred and the oil leak was because of a faulty seal (I think) to the oil cooler. Unfortunately I dot not have the quote with me but it looks like they will be changing the heads (pistons and rods but keeping the block, if that makes any sense?). Everything is coming from Porsche as a kit and I guess they will be putting it all together. All toll about 25k. I paid 37k, the original owner paid about 200k for it. I'm figuring it's well worth the investment, considering the superior qualities of this car, as long as I remember to put oil in the engine! . Cross my fingers and hope to die! I will ask if they intend to change the engine mounts and once I get the quote I'll be able to give you more info Thanks guys, Philippe
P.S. As of today I am officially taking the bus to work until I get her back.
Old 03-30-2018, 06:31 AM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

It makes no sense. They should be getting a new short block and reusing the old heads. Are these the same guys who insisted it was a rod knock and quoted $14K for a repair...even after you were told multiple times on here it was scored cylinders?
One of the "superior qualities" of a Porsche engine is the ability to eat itself to death. A new block won't necessarily make you immune from this happening all over again. The situation you're in now most likely has NOTHING to do with you or the oil needing to be topped off.
The real cure is to have your old block sent out to be machined, recoated or sleeved by someone who knows what they are doing.

Also, I believe $25K is about what Porsche charges to replace these engines. If you're going with OEM parts and forking out that much cash, why not let professionals at a dealership do the work and get a corporate backed warranty if something goes wrong?

Last edited by 19psi; 03-30-2018 at 09:56 AM.
Old 03-30-2018, 02:52 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

I hate to say I told you so, but "I told you so..." Run from this mechanic. I agree completely with George above. You are headed down a rabbit hole that will be incredibly expensive. Take it to the dealer or find another mechanic that comes recommended by a knowledgable Porschephile.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 03-30-2018, 07:54 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

There is strong agreement between at least 3 of us (with no opposition) that you need to go somewhere else. You and this shop are in way over your heads more than you realize. They were wrong about the diagnosis and that tells all of us here quite a lot about their expertise with these vehicles. We are only trying to save you from pain and suffering.
Old 03-30-2018, 08:55 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Make that 4 of us. Get it away from them. Their change in diagnosis tells me they aren't familiar with Cayenne V8's. They may be wonderful mechanics, nice guys, great to chat with - but they'd be learning to rebuild a quite complex engine on your dime. I'm sure there will be additional expenses besides what they have quoted you now. And in the end - you have an engine rebuilt by a questionable mechanic. Do they have the engine cradle needed to remove and work on the engine, or are they thinking of taking it out the top (big mistake..) The Porsche dealer does - and they've done it before. Do they have all the special tools needed to rebuild the engine, or are they going to wing it?

Contact a local dealer and ask for a quote on a re-manufactured (by Porsche) engine replacement. Then do a bit of searching on your own for a re-manufactured one from other on-line Porsche dealers. That will give you a number to start bargaining with your dealer. I have seen engines from Porsche for around $14,000. R&R shouldn't take more than 10 hours - so 10x$150 = $1,500. Supplies, engine mounts - figure another $1,000. The engine and all the work are warranted by Porsche for 2 years, unlimited miles. You can take it to ANY Porsche dealer if there are any problems. Total cost should be under $20,000 (US) - what's that in CD$?. What sort of warranty is this shop offering on the rebuild they propose to do? Any? Who fixes it if it's wrong? They do?

You said multiple times you're not any sort of mechanic - OK - then it's good you've gotten some advice from people who have some mechanical knowledge - the question is if you're going to follow it or not. I'm guessing not, and we'll get to hear a continuing tale of woe as this shop can't complete the job in a satisfactory manner. At that point - I think most of us here will simply stop listening.
Old 03-31-2018, 02:59 AM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 130 Likes on 106 Posts

5!
Old 03-31-2018, 09:00 AM
Mackayak
Banned

I can see that you are all getting a little frustrstef with me which is understandable, I know very little about cars. I know you are all trying to help me and I appreciate that! As one of you pointed out I am way over my head and you’re probably right. The mechanics at the shop know exactly what they’re doing unfortunately it is I who does not.
Thanks again for all your help!
philippe
Old 03-31-2018, 12:13 PM
J'sWorld
Three Wheelin'

Received 183 Likes on 135 Posts

Mama always said if you run across a sucker and don't have anything nice to say just take their money.
Old 03-31-2018, 07:35 PM
uphoto
Pro

Received 315 Likes on 132 Posts

Who knows everybody, obviously this OP doesn't know much about cars, English probably isn't his first language, maybe the shop does know what they are doing and the OP isn’t communicating it right.

Quick Reply: Engine knock in 2010 turbo s