Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adding on a Tow hitch to 2013 Diesel / recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2018, 12:52 PM
randerson22
Intermediate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adding on a Tow hitch to 2013 Diesel / recommendations?

Hey all,

I just acquired a sweet 2013 Diesel, and unfortunately, it did not come with the factory tow package, which I would like to add. I'm not looking for a mere bike rack solution, otherwise I'd install a Curt on the cheap. I want to be able to tow a track car and trailer, and also a camper trailer.I have seen others say dealers are charging $2-3K for such a solution, this seems insane. I really don't want to clutch my ankles and lube up getting a dealer quote and was hoping someone has a recommendation of a less expensive option. Even if I find the hardware from a recommended source, I am assuming I'll need to bring it to a dealer to then get the electronics governing the brakes and transmission "trailer" settings established, but hopefully they can do this electronic part relatively inexpensively. I wanted to try to find a solution that doesn't break the bank.

Thanks,
Robert
Old 02-08-2018, 01:36 PM
major dad
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I faced the same dilema, in the end I paid my dealer $1900 to fit a detachable Porsche towbar. It made by Westfallia I think.

My reason for doing this was I wanted it integrated with the car, the Porsche bar when linked up with the car alters the ABS and Engine map to take account of the trailer.

I don't think an Official Porsche Dealer would do the electronic integration on a bar they did not supply and fit, at lease not in Ireland or the UK.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:53 AM
Miamirice
Racer

Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts

I have been towing race cars on a steel 22’ open for 4 years with a 2006 CS-

i bought a Curt type off eTrailer (it’s just 4 bolts I think) and a prodigy RF trailer brake controller:

total : $500 + 1 hour and 2 beers

i have more faith in myself than the tech at the dealer who will read the same directions I did and likely do for his first time and read fewer “how to’s” off google. I don’t know anything about the ECU making changes to the tranny in a “trailer mode” but I figured with all these guys having transfer case failure drivingcto Starbucks...why bother. So far so good and I tow prob 10-12 times a year. So let’s say 50 trips so far.

Quick Reply: Adding on a Tow hitch to 2013 Diesel / recommendations?