Steering fault won’t start 04ctt

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 02:21 PM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Steering fault won’t start 04ctt

i all I’ve been fighting with the cayenne again

let’s me put the key in and turn it then I get steering fault as attached any ideas of a way around this or a reset thanks car won’t start

Old 02-04-2018, 02:59 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had this happen recently.
I was lucky that in my case the steering wheel wasn't actually locked, so I was able to have the car towed home. I also had to manually unlock the transmission (under the shift console).

Check the battery volts at the posts under the hood. SHould be high 12s, like 12.8V or so. If not charge the battery up or get a new one.

If your battery is low, then that could be the cause of this fault, however there are a few other issues that you may need to do later to prevent the issue.

First though, the car will have to have the fault cleared using a scan tool. I bought a Durametric and that worked in my case. But you could also probably use the icarscan tool or an official PIWIS Porsche tool.
Since the car won't start, you'll need to push on the brake pedal for ~30s, while trying to connect with the scan tool, to wake up the CANbus computers.

Then you can log the faults, and clear them. If it was a low battery, then there may be a lot of stored faults.

You should now be able to start the car.

If the steering is still faulty then it may actually be a physical/electrical problem with the steering lock. If so you may need to send it and the KESSY module to someone to have it fixed https://www.speedosolutions.com/crm....dgdsumplbv-920.
Or you can try to replace the lock relays on the steering lock PCBA yourself.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ring-code.html

In my car the reset got it working, but then I found corrosion in the wiring under the driver's carpet. This wiring was wet and was causing errors in the CANbus. Once I cleaned up the wiring, it has been fine.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...l#post13710465
Old 02-04-2018, 03:02 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

BTW, I see some of your other posts...
My steering wheel controls were also not working very well before I cleaned up this wiring... Right after the steering wheel works fine.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:29 AM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
Since the car won't start, you'll need to push on the brake pedal for ~30s, while trying to connect with the scan tool, to wake up the CANbus computers.

Then you can log the faults, and clear them. If it was a low battery, then there may be a lot of stored faults.
I think turning on the hazard lights is also supposed to wake up the canbus network.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:28 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

yeah, I read that as well. Didn't try it at the time, but the brakes did work for me.
I got the car running, and then re-ran the Durametric scan with the engine on, since the Cayenne battery would drain fast. Also helps to have the engine running, since all modules will be powered on then.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:31 PM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Default Icarsoft i960

Hi all will the icarsoft i960 read this fault do you think as I’ve tried other generic readers with no luck, they just saw no connection or will this one get around it . Cannot move the car without a flat bed and disengaging the gear lever any advise appreciated
Old 03-02-2018, 12:44 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

a normal OBDII reader will not be able to read the modules in the Cayenne. Those OBDII readers will only look at the emissions related codes and some engine codes.
With the Steering Faulty error on the dash, the Cayenne won't start or even wake up the ECU or other modules in the car. You can wake most of them up by turning on the flashers or pressing the brake for ~30s while getting the Durametric to connect (same for PIWIS, and probably the icarsoft).

Once you reset the code, you should be able to start the car. However the code might get set again unless you fix what's causing the fault in the first place, which in my case was the corroded wiring under the driver's carpet.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:47 PM
Pkcayenne
Instructor

Default I960

Thanks think I will invest the 100$ in the icarsoft
Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 PM
Jaymac7
Advanced

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I just had to revive this old thread to send a huge THANK YOU to everyone who contributed to this thread regarding flooded and corroded wires under the drivers front carpet. I got the code 288 “Steering Faulty” error which left me stranded at a gas pump. Thankfully I was 5 minutes from home and my wife happened to be working from home that day and was able to bring my laptop and Durametric cable to the gas station. A quick google search directed me to this thread where I was able to use the Durametric to clear the code, start the Cayenne and drive it home, where I discovered water under the carpet and 4 corroded connections. I soldered and shrink wrapped them all, and the fault has disappeared! INCREDIBLY grateful! Thank you!!!
Jeremy
The following users liked this post:
W John Houston (06-02-2022)
Old 02-28-2021, 10:37 PM
JPNpro
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ugghh STEERING FAULTY on 2009 cayenne turbo s

Stuck at big box store. Sunday afternoon nobody around, $250 to drag onto tow truck (everything locked) and tow the next day to dealer. They told me $7000 to fix with new steering column. I'm not a porsche mechanic. They unlocked the transmission for me but mysteriously the brake line got a "kink" in it. It was perfect before all this happened no leaks in brakes. Someone is lying to me about damaging it. At least $500 to fix that! What a nightmare. Towed back to my garage and there it sits. Should I just part this POS out? I already bought a OBDII scanner and couldn't reset anything..another $150 down the tubes. I've never had a Porsche before and thought it'd be great to get one ..BOY WAS I WRONG! I tried everything to reset the code nothing worked.
Old 02-28-2021, 10:57 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Originally Posted by JPNpro
Stuck at big box store. Sunday afternoon nobody around, $250 to drag onto tow truck (everything locked) and tow the next day to dealer. They told me $7000 to fix with new steering column. I'm not a porsche mechanic. They unlocked the transmission for me but mysteriously the brake line got a "kink" in it. It was perfect before all this happened no leaks in brakes. Someone is lying to me about damaging it. At least $500 to fix that! What a nightmare. Towed back to my garage and there it sits. Should I just part this POS out? I already bought a OBDII scanner and couldn't reset anything..another $150 down the tubes. I've never had a Porsche before and thought it'd be great to get one ..BOY WAS I WRONG! I tried everything to reset the code nothing worked.
It's the microchip in the steering column. Find the thread on here where someone can fix the chip for about $300 instead of replacing the whole steering column. Out of curiosity, does your Cayenne have the KESSY keyless enter and drive option?
Old 03-01-2021, 12:16 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

@JPNpro What you want to read is this post
https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...l#post14029763
The fix is to replace 2 $4 relays on the steering lock circuit board.
Old 05-21-2023, 02:09 AM
segull
2nd Gear

Default Durametric 6.6.3.5 wont read Steering Faulty code

I am able to connect to the units by holding the brakes and having the hazards on, but there are no codes found. Ive tried to make it trip a code by unplugging fuse 41 which corresponds to the KESSY system and a code does appear, im only mentioning this to make it clear that codes can be read and cleared but the steering faulty related codes do not appear. By what I have read in this forum and some others, people have been able to use Durametric to read this code in the past. Is this a current software issue or has Durametric always not worked for this?
Old 05-21-2023, 10:37 AM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Originally Posted by segull
I am able to connect to the units by holding the brakes and having the hazards on, but there are no codes found. Ive tried to make it trip a code by unplugging fuse 41 which corresponds to the KESSY system and a code does appear, im only mentioning this to make it clear that codes can be read and cleared but the steering faulty related codes do not appear. By what I have read in this forum and some others, people have been able to use Durametric to read this code in the past. Is this a current software issue or has Durametric always not worked for this?
The code for the "steering faulty" is stored under "alarm". Did you look there?
Old 05-21-2023, 11:13 AM
segull
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
The code for the "steering faulty" is stored under "alarm". Did you look there?
Yes, im going to try to re-download the software and if that doesn’t work im going to contact Durametric support. Also forgot to mention that we are trying to clear this code on two cayennes and both dont pop up any codes so thats why im Starting to believe its the software

Last edited by segull; 05-21-2023 at 11:14 AM.

Quick Reply: Steering fault won’t start 04ctt