Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

05 CTT Valve Body or Trans issue?

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2018, 10:20 AM
James1911
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 05 CTT Valve Body or Trans issue?

Greetings... 05 CTT with 112K, weekend driver. I noticed last few times when driving the engine would rev up going from 2nd gear and then it slams into 3rd gear. No issues with any other gears. Doesn't happen all the time, very random. The valve body has not been changed so I'm wonder if this could be the issue or do I have a transmission problem? I value your opinions and suggestions please.

Thanks
Old 02-03-2018, 01:50 PM
James1911
Instructor

*bump* where's the LOVE?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:55 AM
James1911
Instructor

Originally Posted by James1911
*bump* where's the LOVE?
OK... Good Talk!
Old 02-04-2018, 01:00 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Far from an expert, but since no one else has said anything....

I'd suspect maybe low on ATF, or due for a change, or valve body in that order.

I'd start with a fluid/filter change and proper fill-up and see if anything changes. When was your last change (if ever)?

cheers,
c
Old 02-04-2018, 02:50 PM
James1911
Instructor

Thank you Vandal968 for being the lone wolf (only responder)... much appreciated. I will investigate the fluid/filter change. I don't show that being done in my records.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:35 PM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Sounds like a valve body to me. At 114k, yours is due for a refresh.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 02-05-2018, 06:12 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Check for leaks asap - low ATF fluid can do that as mentioned above. Leave it long enough and the clutch plate will burn out and you’ll need a transmission refurb as well as a valve body.
Old 02-05-2018, 09:42 PM
James1911
Instructor

Originally Posted by vandal968
Far from an expert, but since no one else has said anything....

I'd suspect maybe low on ATF, or due for a change, or valve body in that order.

I'd start with a fluid/filter change and proper fill-up and see if anything changes. When was your last change (if ever)?

cheers,
c
Originally Posted by TomF
Sounds like a valve body to me. At 114k, yours is due for a refresh.

Cheers,
TomF
Thank you TomF!
Old 02-05-2018, 09:45 PM
James1911
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Check for leaks asap - low ATF fluid can do that as mentioned above. Leave it long enough and the clutch plate will burn out and you’ll need a transmission refurb as well as a valve body.
Thanks Stringbag! No leaks... just a hard shift from 2nd to 3rd..
Old 02-05-2018, 11:10 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When I went to change the fluid in my xfer case, the drain plug stripped. I decided to top-off the fluid and then complete the change once replacement drain plugs arrived. My transfer case was 25% down on fluid. I topped it off and changed it for clean fluid a week later when the new plugs arrived. The case was spotless and shiny with no evidence of leaks or staining or cleaning. The fluid just somehow disappeared over 14 years. Similarly, your transmission could be low on fluid despite no obvious evidence of leakage. A fluid change and proper fill might fix your problem by itself, and if it doesn't it will help flush out contaminants and make any further repair last longer. No downside, all upside.

Keep us posted, it will be interesting to hear what's going on.

cheers,
c
Old 02-06-2018, 01:13 AM
James1911
Instructor

Originally Posted by vandal968
When I went to change the fluid in my xfer case, the drain plug stripped. I decided to top-off the fluid and then complete the change once replacement drain plugs arrived. My transfer case was 25% down on fluid. I topped it off and changed it for clean fluid a week later when the new plugs arrived. The case was spotless and shiny with no evidence of leaks or staining or cleaning. The fluid just somehow disappeared over 14 years. Similarly, your transmission could be low on fluid despite no obvious evidence of leakage. A fluid change and proper fill might fix your problem by itself, and if it doesn't it will help flush out contaminants and make any further repair last longer. No downside, all upside.

Keep us posted, it will be interesting to hear what's going on.

cheers,
c
Thanks again vandal968... I really appreciate the feedback! I will give it a flush and fill this weekend and keep you posted.
Old 02-07-2018, 08:24 PM
aftCG
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We had a Touareg that slam shifted 4th gear and that was textbook for a valve body replacement. I did it myself and it went great.

I would follow the suggestion above. My '04 Pig has always whined really badly when cold and still does. I did a fluid and filter change using the Porsche fluid and it made no difference in behavior or noises. Still shifts fine and once it's warm it's quiet too. I'm going to drive it another year and trade up to a newer Pig (or possibly Macan)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:43 PM
James1911
Instructor

Originally Posted by aftCG
We had a Touareg that slam shifted 4th gear and that was textbook for a valve body replacement. I did it myself and it went great.

I would follow the suggestion above. My '04 Pig has always whined really badly when cold and still does. I did a fluid and filter change using the Porsche fluid and it made no difference in behavior or noises. Still shifts fine and once it's warm it's quiet too. I'm going to drive it another year and trade up to a newer Pig (or possibly Macan)
Thanks aftCG! How difficult is it to change the Valve body? Is there a step by step DIY procedure somewhere?
Old 02-08-2018, 11:23 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

There are many write ups on here. It's easy, just messy. You remove the pan from the transmission and the valve body is right there. The hardest parts are not dropping it on your head and getting the fluid to the right level. You can either rebuild your own using the transgo kit or go with a rebuilt valve body from sonnax
Old 02-08-2018, 06:01 PM
aftCG
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

As Nodoors says, it's easy but messy. It's like camping at the beach (you'll have ATF in every pore for a few days).

My additional caution beyond not dropping it on your head is to make sure all the wires are out of the way when you torque the valve body back in place. It's easy to pinch one.

There's a popular Touareg forum with the thread I used. The Pig transmission is the same Aisin (japanese) unit. Getting the pan off is easy, get the filter out of the way (replace it of course), clean the magnets that are in the pan.

We bought our valve body from RevMax. Super quick shipping and the unit performed flawlessly.

Quick Reply: 05 CTT Valve Body or Trans issue?