Sponsored by:

Offroad Wheels / Tires, need advice

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2018, 10:09 PM
F15DOC
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Offroad Wheels / Tires, need advice

Well, the old 2006 Porsche Cayenne S Titanium is no longer the around town SUV.
We just bought an absolutely beautiful 2018 Audi Q5 Prestige that has taken over that roll.

I have always been unhappy with the look of the tires running on the Titanium Edition, they are 275/45ZR19, they just look to small...
Would love suggestions for a larger appearing "knobby A/T" style of tires for the Cayenne.
I have looked around, really nothing in that tire size (for these current wheels) that has an offroad look to it, so it appears I am going to have to buy new wheels too.
I think Black Wheels would look nice with knobby AT tires.

I am not looking to drop a ton of money on these wheels/tires, so keep the price suggestions down.
I am not really going to be doing any REAL off roading with this, I have a Mitsubishi Montero for that purpose.
What I want is a bit of a tougher look for my pig, better looking rubber than just that same old street tire look.
With all that out there, I could use some advice:
1) Are you aware of any tires that I can mount on the existing rims? This is preferred.
2) If not, what would be the best size wheel? 17"? 18"?
3) Will there be any issues with the Cayenne electronic systems by changing wheel/tire sizes?
Old 02-01-2018, 11:12 PM
Klax
AutoX

Nitto Terragrappler G2's look good and perform well on street and off road. See if they have a 19" version. Range Rover and Cayenne are about the only off-road worthy vehicles to ever offer a 19" wheel option, so there are not a lot of options. Options are plentiful in both 18" and 17". Keep overall tire circumference within an inch or inch and a half of stock size and electronics will be fine, speedo will be off a bit though.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:02 AM
F15DOC
Intermediate

Those look nice, but no joy they don't come in a 19"
Looks like I am going to need to buy wheels with it.... suggestions on an affordable package that would look nice on a Cayenne?
Old 02-02-2018, 02:04 PM
bgsntth
Racer

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

If you do not mind going a little narrower, Continental now offers a "V" rated AT in 255/55-19. These will be going on my 2008 Range, replacing the ungodly loud Cooper Zeons of the same size.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:19 PM
sclark900
AutoX

I've been looking at the same thing. I haven't found any beefy AT tires in 19" size. I'll be going w/ replacement 18" wheels. Found a used set of 18" Touareg wheels on the cheap that I plan to powder coat satin black. Although the style isn't the greatest, they'll be better quality than similarly priced new wheelsets from TireRack. For the tires, I'm going w/ some beefy BFG AT KO2's - 255/55/18. Lots of examples out there of Cayenne's w/ these tires. If you wanted to go bigger (taller) and add a 1" of additional clearance and be slightly increased circumference over OEM, you can go w/ 265's. I won't be doing that serious of off-roading so I'll be sticking w/ the 255 OEM circumference tire. Regardless, black wheels w/ beefy tires on the red Pig will look fantastic!
Old 02-03-2018, 12:17 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

We have been taking our Cayenne off road for the past five years. Recommend getting the smallest wheel and largest tire your model can handle. This is critical as you will want to remove air on technical sections of the trail - not practical to do with 21" wheels! It is easy to acquire smaller OEM wheels as a lot of folks want the largest wheels available and sell the small ones. We are using General Grabber AT2s - 255/55/18 - they have never let us down, even on long Overland trips with some fun technical sections. We have looked at the BFG KOs which look aggressive, just want to be sure they will preform as good or better than the AT2s.
For more of what we do, magazine articles, photos, our build, and video the link below.
Any questions please ask there to help keep everything together, thanks! Hope to see y'all coloring outside those yellow & white lines soon.
Photo is from the Northwest Overland event - think of this a PCA Parade for folks who would rather travel off-road rather than rock climb or mud hole.
https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...meet-otis.html

Last edited by RS-America; 02-03-2018 at 02:51 AM.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:41 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have no real off road experience but I love the BFG KO2 255/55/18 on my 957 Turbo. They're great in the snow and look awesome. I imaging they would be just as good off road.
Old 02-03-2018, 01:13 AM
F15DOC
Intermediate

Originally Posted by bgsntth
If you do not mind going a little narrower, Continental now offers a "V" rated AT in 255/55-19. These will be going on my 2008 Range, replacing the ungodly loud Cooper Zeons of the same size.
I found them on their website, about $200 each, but they still dont really have the offroad look... granted these look better than anything else I have seen in the 19" wheels, glad to hear they perform well. Maybe I am underestimating them, do you have a photo of them on your cayenne you could share.
Glad you mentioned about the noise of the Cooper Xeons as I had noticed those as well...
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Continental&tireModel=TerrainContact+A/T&partnum=555VR9TCATXL
So, once again, I am not actually going to be doing any serious off roading with this vehicle.
If I decide to go with 18" wheels, any particular bolt pattern? Width restrictions etc? ie... what should I know that I don't know before I choose a wheel?
Old 02-03-2018, 01:22 AM
F15DOC
Intermediate

Wow, the more I read about the Continental Terrain Contact the more I like them, it really sounds like a great all around tire... might just have to go for this.
Would love to see photos of them on a cayenne!
Old 02-03-2018, 03:02 AM
RS-America
Rennlist Member

Received 189 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by F15DOC
Wow, the more I read about the Continental Terrain Contact the more I like them, it really sounds like a great all around tire... might just have to go for this. Would love to see photos of them on a cayenne!
As you are in Washington y'all might consider coming to the Northwest Overland Rally June 28 - July 1, 2018 in Plain, WA. If you can only come out for a day, Friday and Saturday are the most active. Most camp onsite with everything from tents to trailers. There is a hotel across the street but rooms get booked early. This is a family oriented event very close to Leavenworth, WA. Each year is has gotten better with sponsors that range from ARB to Filson's. - http://www.nwoverlandrally.com/
Most of the photos in the December 2016 Pano article on our Cayenne were taken at this event. Last year four Cayenne's attended - hope to see you there!
Old 02-03-2018, 01:38 PM
F15DOC
Intermediate

Hopefully someone will post up a photo...
Does that mean the Continental Terrain Contact 255/55-19 will fit on the existing 19" wheels that currently have 275/45ZR19?
I ordered the 255/55-19, the tire guy said it exceeds the 3% fitment tolerance from the stock wheels and there is a chance they could rub.
It seems our wheel gap is so big on the cayenne, and with the narrower tire, I just don't think these will rub, so I ordered em.
I guess we will see.....

Last edited by F15DOC; 02-03-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 01:54 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

265/65/18 BFG K02 fits without rubbing, so I bet a 255/55/19 will. Anything up to 31.5" outer diameter fits.

For anyone else also wondering about A/T tires, 18" wheels are pretty cheap if you can find a set of local take-offs. The K02 isn't the cheapest off-road tire, but it is a great tire and looks very aggressive. There are a ton of photos of them in my FS ad:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...-tow-pack.html
Old 02-06-2018, 04:36 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Another vote for BFG KO2's. I do not have them on my CTT, but have been through 2 sets on one of my other vehicles and can't speak highly enough of them. They do quite well in snow and are surprisingly capable offroad.
Old 02-06-2018, 08:23 PM
F15DOC
Intermediate

Wow, those do look amazing!!
Well, already ordered the Continental Contacts for the 19" we will see how they fit, hope to have them in by the end of the week.
Old 03-06-2018, 04:17 PM
tolbertiii
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I want to go with a more aggressive tire on my 05 CTT, but I need to move down to an 18 inch wheel (I've got the 19's now). I just spotted a set of 18's on Craigslist for $400. They are off a 2012.

Based on everything I've read so far, those should work on my 955.

Seems like a decent price but I want to be sure they will fit. Can anyone confirm? Or point me to a solid resource?

Bill

Quick Reply: Offroad Wheels / Tires, need advice