08 Cayenne Turbo suddenly blowing smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 01:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian J Canberg
That actually makes perfect sense, but if I consider the way the smoke appeared, totally sudden and thick.. would it not make sense that something happened to change the circumstances either in the intercooler line or the cylinder to create such smoke in such a sudden manner?
That "something" could be the level of the oil in the intercooler where now it is high enough where some is being picked up and put through the intake all the time whereas before it was below that level. How much dud they dump out of the driver's side when they discovered it - 1/2 Qt, full Qt.?
Old 01-21-2018, 03:18 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
That "something" could be the level of the oil in the intercooler where now it is high enough where some is being picked up and put through the intake all the time whereas before it was below that level. How much dud they dump out of the driver's side when they discovered it - 1/2 Qt, full Qt.?
I’m not sure exactly how much.. but I’ll ask them. I guess what I meant was I’d think that if that oil collecting in the intercooler line was the cause, that it would likely come on a bit mote steadily rather than suddenly. Unless the level increased suddenly, denoting a problem in the turbos.
Either way, we’re on our way to finding out for sure. I’ve shared the info with them as we go. I hope to have some hard answers tomorrow.
Old 01-21-2018, 11:22 PM
PANHEAD201
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hi, can't recall if you had found a badly fouled plug from your descriptions. If so, I'd pull that wire and see what you've got. I'd run compression and leakdown. If it was mine I'd drain my oil through some really big coffee filters and see what I could see.You can get an oil sample analyzed for under a hundred bucks. I've got an uncle who is the service manager at a huge Benz dealer in Englewood. Iused to race out of Nyack years ago. Still have a lot of friends in the area. If I can help in any way let me know. A Kenworth or Peterbilt dealer is a good place to get an oil sample analyzed. Best of luck, Bill
Old 01-22-2018, 09:30 PM
PANHEAD201
Advanced

Hi,man Was this car dealer certified in St.Paul ? Who diagnosed the low battery and pads, rotors? You can buy a Durametric that will diagnose this truck for about $300... It sounds like you trust your guys. That's good. This thing should be throwing codes like crazy. Good luck
Old 01-22-2018, 09:52 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Get your oil analyzed for wear metals. Then inspect every plug and coil. If the valve cover plug gaskets leak oil... it will smoke. I certainly hope for you it's NOT the piston rings.
Old 01-23-2018, 01:16 AM
PANHEAD201
Advanced

Originally Posted by Dilberto
Get your oil analyzed for wear metals. Then inspect every plug and coil. If the valve cover plug gaskets leak oil... it will smoke. I certainly hope for you it's NOT the piston rings.
If you run an oil sample it'll tell you exactly what kind of fragments are in it. I've seen piston rings freeze to a cylinder wall. This doesn't look like it, though. That doesn't get better for a while. Any good shop doesn't need two weeks in January. If you did blow an AOS every gasket and plug on the thing should be leaking. If you're paying for diagnostics it should come off the top of the bill. It looks like a spun turbo but I don't know crap about cayennes. A valve stem seal is not enough. If you've got a valve stem hanging you probably would have poked a hole in a piston by now. Mileage is meaningless by now. I spun a turbo on a 930 with 2700 miles on it. But it doesn't look like scoring. Maybe you should give Porsche Customer Service a call soon. They really do listen to people. Especially if one of their shops gave a clean bill of health.
Old 01-24-2018, 11:55 AM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

So we cleaned out the intercooler line.. re assembled.
Started and ran it all day yesterday and no smoke.
So far so good. Could it be??
Old 01-24-2018, 12:30 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Could be. Time will tell. Like I said in my very first post. You might have had one hell of a pool of oil in that charge pipe. Whether it comes back quickly is the big question. Regardless this should be drained every other oil change as it is normal to accumulate some oil there.
Old 01-24-2018, 12:35 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nodoors
Could be. Time will tell. Like I said in my very first post. You might have had one hell of a pool of oil in that charge pipe. Whether it comes back quickly is the big question. Regardless this should be drained every other oil change as it is normal to accumulate some oil there.
I’m just happy to be back on the road. I missed this beauty.
Seriously - thanks to everyone for all the help. This is a great forum.
Old 01-24-2018, 01:07 PM
curtsr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I love happy endings.
Old 01-24-2018, 02:31 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brian,
did you ever find out how much oil was in the charge tube? Just curious about how much is too much. I just emptied mine, I didn't do it during the oil change because I didn't know about it at the time. I figure there was probably about 3oz in mine, not sure how long it was since it was last emptied, I had put about 2500 miles on it at that point.

Fingers crossed for your good luck continuing.

cheers,
c
Old 01-24-2018, 07:21 PM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

I am thinking I get about a half oz to oz each time I change the oil. It seems to vary on how hard I drive it. That is really just a WAG as I just empty the hose into the oil container. Not a ton but it is there. If it has not been emptied it could really collect for sure.
Old 01-24-2018, 07:32 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mtnrat
I am thinking I get about a half oz to oz each time I change the oil. It seems to vary on how hard I drive it. That is really just a WAG as I just empty the hose into the oil container. Not a ton but it is there. If it has not been emptied it could really collect for sure.
I’m sorry, I didn’t ask when I picked it up. I called to ask and he couldn’t say for sure. He insisted it was a lot. Sorry I didn’t think to ask at the time.

Last edited by Brian J Canberg; 01-24-2018 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-24-2018, 07:55 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,169 Likes on 3,933 Posts

How about installing a drain valve into the bottom of the intercooler to make draining it fast and easy without having to take the coupling loose? Would that work and be a gouda idea?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:02 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Petza914
How about installing a drain valve into the bottom of the intercooler to make draining it fast and easy without having to take the coupling loose? Would that work and be a gouda idea?
Having just done it a week or two ago (and replaced the seal) I found it very easy to open/drain with the clip that's already on the boost pipe. I wouldn't think that adding a drain would save enough hassle to be worth the risk of leaks. Pro-tip, you don't have to take off the belly panels to drain the pipe, you only have to take off the little panel in the corner directly under the pipe directly in-front of driver's wheel well. It's only 4 or 6 Phillips screws, just takes a moment.

Also, I think the charge pipe is lower than the intercooler, so if the drain were there, I don't think it would drain anything unless the level was insanely-high.

cheers,
c

Quick Reply: 08 Cayenne Turbo suddenly blowing smoke