Sponsored by:

08 Cayenne Turbo suddenly blowing smoke

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2018, 03:42 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
With a AOS tear it usually makes a very loud whistling sound.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIV-...ature=youtu.be

Since you did not mention this I am surprised the indy decided to replace it.
I read that it was a somewhat common cause of sudden smoke. I naturally got nervous after I saw the smoke so I immediately started doing some reading on potential causes. The AOS seemed to be the most reasonably common culprit and the Indy confined that in our initial conversation.
He originally called to say he wasn’t seeing much smoke if any when I assured him it was absolutely happening. I was surprised he didn’t experience it right away. Sure enough, he witnessed it and went in after the AOS to inspect and the inner seal had a tear. It made sense to me that this was the cause. However, afterward now on the second day, the smoke hasn’t let up at all. I figured after a few hrs of daily driving, any residual would have been burnt through. But it seems to be persistent.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:50 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ScootCherHienie
If more smoke is coming out of one exhaust pipe than the other, check the spark plugs on that side of the engine (you could have all the smoke on one side, a little smoke on one side and a lot of smoke on the other side or roughly equal amounts of smoke on both sides. If the spark plugs look good, I'd vote for a cracked turbo housing. If 1 or more spark plugs look fouled with oil (black, ugly buildup on the plug, may even look wet), the problem is inside the engine. If the spark plugs look good, that would be even more reason to suspect the turbo housing being cracked. If all the smoke or most of the smoke is from one side, that would indicate the side with a cracked turbo or bad cylinder.

Valve guide leakage is (relatively) common as engine problems go, but it generally involves just one cylinder and it doesn't typically appear suddenly... it gets worse slowly over time. And smoke from valve guide problems is worse right after the car has been sitting with the engine off for a while (oil leaks past the valve seal(s) and drips into a cylinder while the engine is not running. This doesn't sound like it could be the cause of the problem you are having.
It appears to be smoking equally from both sides. It sounds like the next step is to check the plugs to see if anything is fouled.
Old 01-16-2018, 03:52 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Brian J Canberg

It appears to be smoking equally from both sides. It sounds like the next step is to check the plugs to see if anything is fouled.
and it definitely appeared out of the blue. No doubt about it. There was absolutely no build up or foreplay here. One day it ran fine then the next it coughed a giant cloud on startup and has been intermittent ever since.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:01 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Thank you all, by the way, for the tips and help. I've learned more here in the few min with you guys than my indy seemed to be able to tell me sitting with the car for a week..
Old 01-16-2018, 04:10 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

Originally Posted by Brian J Canberg
It’s possible that they overfilled it. They did full brakes and a service while trying to diagnose the smoke. But that wouldn’t explain the sudden smoking originally. I drove it right about 5000mi since I bought it. Never smoked a lick.
If they overfilled it, suck it out ASAP. Take a look at the dipstick like right now.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:16 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lupo.sk
If they overfilled it, suck it out ASAP. Take a look at the dipstick like right now.
I'm certainly not underestimating the seriousness of the issue, but what I'm saying is, I brought it in to the shop for the sudden smoking. They did the service while it was there. So the smoking began before they ever did anything to it. Not likely they overfilled it, but I'll check. I guess it could explain why the smoking persists after the AOS replacement.
Old 01-16-2018, 04:31 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, the brakes and battery weren't going to help this issue, but I am sure you already knew that! Just stings to pay $2k+ and not get a drivable car back.

Go to my first post and do those three things next. Then we can help you more with the new info it will bring to light. Even if you don't have a scanner (which likely may turn up nothing at this point other than low efficiency thresholds on the cats) we will know a lot more once you take some pics of the plugs and and see if, where, and how much oil is in the intake charge pipes. It will take you some time, but it's not looking like there is going to be a quick fix to resolve this problem.

It's hard to tell from the video, but it seems there may be more smoke coming from the driver side. Can you confirm that IRL?
Old 01-16-2018, 04:38 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by nodoors
Yeah, the brakes and battery weren't going to help this issue, but I am sure you already knew that! Just stings to pay $2k+ and not get a drivable car back.

Go to my first post and do those three things next. Then we can help you more with the new info it will bring to light. Even if you don't have a scanner (which likely may turn up nothing at this point other than low efficiency thresholds on the cats) we will know a lot more once you take some pics of the plugs and and see if, where, and how much oil is in the intake charge pipes. It will take you some time, but it's not looking like there is going to be a quick fix to resolve this problem.

It's hard to tell from the video, but it seems there may be more smoke coming from the driver side. Can you confirm that IRL?
I just started it again and it looks to be exactly even smoke on both sides. Obviously I have no way to measure exactly but with knowledgeable eyes, I feel safe reporting it to be even.
Old 01-17-2018, 04:13 PM
curtsr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

They definitely don't like to be overfilled but on my TT-S it blew the dipstick up and purged itself.
Old 01-17-2018, 05:29 PM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Definitely not over filled. In fact, I checked the level this morning. Dipstick was wet, but after wiping it clean with engine off, dip stick came back out dry..

somethings not right...
Old 01-17-2018, 06:40 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

^^^NOT GOOD ^^^
Old 01-17-2018, 11:27 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Damnit. I just typed a long reply that got lost due to my session timing out. What is it with the short session duration on this freaking site?

Summary: I think there is about a 1.5-2 quart difference between max and min on the dipstick on the 4.5. Any guesses on how many miles you drove with it like this and how much oil you burned? If it were me I would park it until I got to the bottom of this.

Get the oil level back to spec. The next step would be to pull your plugs and methodically label/number them and take pictures for us. You might as well get a compression tester gauge and check the compression on each cylinder while you are at it - unless you don't mind doing the work twice. It might impact a point further down the decision tree. Then pull apart your intake charge pipes to inspect for oil. Judging by how much oil it sounds like you are burning the problem may be pretty obvious once you dig in.

I still bet it is a turbo - which as bad as that is, would most likely be the best case scenario.
The following users liked this post:
GMKF (03-30-2020)
Old 01-18-2018, 01:27 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
Damnit. I just typed a long reply that got lost due to my session timing out. What is it with the short session duration on this freaking site?

Summary: I think there is about a 1.5-2 quart difference between max and min on the dipstick on the 4.5. Any guesses on how many miles you drove with it like this and how much oil you burned? If it were me I would park it until I got to the bottom of this.

Get the oil level back to spec. The next step would be to pull your plugs and methodically label/number them and take pictures for us. You might as well get a compression tester gauge and check the compression on each cylinder while you are at it - unless you don't mind doing the work twice. It might impact a point further down the decision tree. Then pull apart your intake charge pipes to inspect for oil. Judging by how much oil it sounds like you are burning the problem may be pretty obvious once you dig in.

I still bet it is a turbo - which as bad as that is, would most likely be the best case scenario.
+1 ^^this^^

Cheers,
TomF
Old 01-18-2018, 10:02 AM
Brian J Canberg
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TomF
+1 ^^this^^

Cheers,
TomF
drove 100 miles since picked it from Indy and added 1&3/4 qts to dead center of the dipstick.
Mom dropping it back to Indy this morning. I’d love to get into this myself but aside from not having the time personally, I’m not that mechanically inclined. I feel more confident of reporting the facts having them relayed from the professional.
Thanks again for all of your help.
Ill post pics and reports of the findings.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:37 PM
roym01
Cruisin'

I wish you the best .......... but your symptoms echo mine almost exactly. I bought an 08 turbo with 70000 miles. Ran fantastic for first 4 months except for bad oil consumption. No smoke and no noises ... I just kept adding oil and hopeful that nothing was seriously wrong. One day smoked bad at startup (blue smoke) and also smoked sometimes while accelerating from a stop. Also started to smoke badly after accelerating back up a hill that I just descended. Had turbo's checked and new plugs installed. All was good for a couple of months then one day CEL came on and started to misfire badly. Checked plugs and a couple were very oily ..... first sign of really bad news. After a few thousand in diagnostics and checking for any possible source of oil leaks I had the cylinders checked for scoring. Results came back ... scored cylinders.

Quick Reply: 08 Cayenne Turbo suddenly blowing smoke