Sponsored by:

How many miles are too many miles?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 09:56 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 371 Likes on 248 Posts

Originally Posted by Tennessee Turbo
hey, you've been in the back seat of my car! I learned about the seatbelt issue(s) the hard way. Ugh.
I've had four of these things over 15 years now and I still can't figure how to not indent my leather with the buckle when I fold the seat down. I've tried tucking it down, throwing a towel over it, etc. I just keep the spot heavily conditioned and try to not lay the seats flat.
Old 01-30-2018, 11:39 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, that depressing. I figured that if I studied the problem long enough there would be an obvious fix.

cheers,
c
Old 02-10-2018, 07:59 PM
BrianC72gt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Quick update. I was hoping to get some time with this beast before jumping into some preventative maintenance. I figured I'd collect the parts to address the driveshaft carrier and maybe order up some fuel pumps and a filter. 230 miles from home heading down to Vandenberg AFB to check in on a power line job we're doing for the ACOE and ...sputter sputter...rut roh. Hopped off I-5 in Cattleman and left it there for a week, picked it up on the drive home with a Ford Diesel & utility trailer. A generic OBD2 reader saw lean codes on both banks, but it had a recent history of a brake booster hose fix. Anyway, start and sputter, start & sputter. pulled and prodded on all the hoses while it was running, no change. Planned on making a ghettotastic smoke machine with a big mason jar. Got it home and pulled one of the FP fuses, no change, pulled the other and...dead stop. One pump was dead and the other was dying. Just swapped in two new pumps and filter this morning from FCP Euro and it is singing a happy tune. I ordered the units for a Touareg... Identical and cheaper. I also dropped the intercooler charge hose on the driver's side and dumped out the accummulated oil, all it takes is a short phillips screwdriver and 15 minutes, and that solves the smoke issue. Ordered up a cheapo android head unit from Ali Express, maybe a project for next weekend. Thanks for all the advice and the great resources here.

Brian
Old 02-10-2018, 10:40 PM
vandal968
Pro

Originally Posted by BrianC72gt
Quick update. I was hoping to get some time with this beast before jumping into some preventative maintenance. I figured I'd collect the parts to address the driveshaft carrier and maybe order up some fuel pumps and a filter. 230 miles from home heading down to Vandenberg AFB to check in on a power line job we're doing for the ACOE and ...sputter sputter...rut roh. Hopped off I-5 in Cattleman and left it there for a week, picked it up on the drive home with a Ford Diesel & utility trailer. A generic OBD2 reader saw lean codes on both banks, but it had a recent history of a brake booster hose fix. Anyway, start and sputter, start & sputter. pulled and prodded on all the hoses while it was running, no change. Planned on making a ghettotastic smoke machine with a big mason jar. Got it home and pulled one of the FP fuses, no change, pulled the other and...dead stop. One pump was dead and the other was dying. Just swapped in two new pumps and filter this morning from FCP Euro and it is singing a happy tune. I ordered the units for a Touareg... Identical and cheaper. I also dropped the intercooler charge hose on the driver's side and dumped out the accummulated oil, all it takes is a short phillips screwdriver and 15 minutes, and that solves the smoke issue. Ordered up a cheapo android head unit from Ali Express, maybe a project for next weekend. Thanks for all the advice and the great resources here.

Brian
Brian,
glad you're back in business. What P/N did you order for the Touareg fuel pumps?

cheers,
c
Old 02-10-2018, 11:08 PM
BrianC72gt
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

1 VW Electric Fuel Pump Left (Touareg) - VDO 7L6919087F1 $213.69
1 VW Fuel Pump Control Unit Right (Touareg) - VDO 7L6919087G1 $182.59
1 Porsche VW Fuel Filter (Cayenne Touareg) - VDO 7L09196791 $99.95
2 Porsche Fuel Pump Tank Seal (Cayenne) - Genuine Porsche 955201133012 $25.38

FCP Guarantees their stuff for LIFE, no questions asked. Their shipping isn't Amazon Prime Next Day fast, but not bad. There are cheaper options, but I wanted to go with genuine VDO.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:31 PM
vandal968
Pro

Originally Posted by BrianC72gt
1 VW Electric Fuel Pump Left (Touareg) - VDO 7L6919087F1 $213.69
1 VW Fuel Pump Control Unit Right (Touareg) - VDO 7L6919087G1 $182.59
1 Porsche VW Fuel Filter (Cayenne Touareg) - VDO 7L09196791 $99.95
2 Porsche Fuel Pump Tank Seal (Cayenne) - Genuine Porsche 955201133012 $25.38

FCP Guarantees their stuff for LIFE, no questions asked. Their shipping isn't Amazon Prime Next Day fast, but not bad. There are cheaper options, but I wanted to go with genuine VDO.
Awesome. Thank you for posting that. I saw FCP's guarantee and decided to use them when I needed to replace the fuel pressure regulator on my 968. They were one of the few vendors that claimed to have the genuine Bosch part in-stock. Unfortunately, a day or two after I ordered, they cancelled my order because they didn't actually have the part and wouldn't for a few weeks or months. I had the same result with a couple of other vendors and eventually had to get a no-name unit from O'Reilly's. I'm still intrigued by their warranty and would like to try them again at some point.

cheers,
c
Old 02-11-2018, 12:33 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I have ordered a lot of parts from fcp euro and although I have never tried out their return policy, I am a big fan of their customer service. If their prices are even marginally close to others, I tend to prefer them.
Old 02-11-2018, 02:23 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by vandal968
Awesome. Thank you for posting that. I saw FCP's guarantee and decided to use them when I needed to replace the fuel pressure regulator on my 968. They were one of the few vendors that claimed to have the genuine Bosch part in-stock. Unfortunately, a day or two after I ordered, they cancelled my order because they didn't actually have the part and wouldn't for a few weeks or months. I had the same result with a couple of other vendors and eventually had to get a no-name unit from O'Reilly's. I'm still intrigued by their warranty and would like to try them again at some point.

cheers,
c
I would guess the wait will be long due to Porsche strike.

Quick Reply: How many miles are too many miles?