Moving abroad - buying a Cayenne

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2018, 03:33 PM
Gimmethatnow
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moving abroad - buying a Cayenne

Hi,

Long time lurker here. Long time dreamer and Porsche afficianado as well, but haven't been able to buy one yet. But now it's finally time to fulfill the dream. Not the 911 I've always dreamt of, that comes later. First I have to think about my two kids and wife. Therefore a Cayenne.

We are moving abroad to my wife's hometown, and the sweet thing is that powerful and exotic cars are waaaaay cheaper there than in my country. I don't want to shell out $$$ for a 958 yet, so I have set my sights for a 957 which I really like. The Cayenne S is a minimum for me, but my dream is a GTS. They are around 6000$ difference. Turbo and Turbo S are above my budget.

At the moment I'm shopping around for a Cayenne S or better with 65.000-90.000 miles or 100.000 to 150.000 km on it. Preferably a 2008 or newer. What can I expect from these cars cost wise? Must have options? Do I make myself a favor by upgrading to GTS or "downgrading" to an earlier Turbo/TTS?

I am really looking for the Cayenne with the most bang for the buck, either I am planning to keep it until it's death or selling it in the future. I guess I am cheap that way, because I always want to do a good deal. Or at least feel that I have done a good deal. So reliability is big deal for me, because I'm the least technical guy ever. No DIY for me.

Got any tips? Sorry about just another "Which car to buy", but I just don't want to make a big mistake when I am taking step one of many in my future Porsche owner career.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:08 PM
Gimmethatnow
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's worth to mention that I can easily buy a car with further miles/km than my previous preferences. When should I be careful when it comes to miles driven? Is it all about the services, or is there a death zone?
Old 01-01-2018, 04:40 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 303 Likes on 232 Posts

Have you read the sticky? Lots of good info in there.

Where is "Here and now" and where is "wife's hometown" that exotics are so cheap?

Since you aren't planning on doing any of your own work, keep in mind that these can be cheap cars to buy.
They are not cheap cars to own.

Affording to buy is one thing. Affording to keep up is another.

955 CTT vs 957S or GTS is a question that only you can answer. You will have to drive each to understand the differences.

Mileage isn't all that big of a deal. Lots of cars have gone well over 100k miles (160k kms). Various things will break over time, but that's true of any car.
Just more expensive to fix on a Porsche.
Old 01-01-2018, 04:53 PM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 201 Likes on 138 Posts

If you're cheap, not DIY and budget conscious then a Porsche is likely to be an economic challenge.

That and you'd want to look into the import/export costs before making the leap.
Old 01-01-2018, 06:49 PM
user 83838290
Banned

Received 471 Likes on 272 Posts

You're moving from Sweden to where? If you're cost sensitive, have you fully researched the fuel economy on these cars? Your average will be roughly 22l/100km - and it does not matter if you're in an S or GTS. Prepare to spend about 3000 euros / year on upkeep (tires, brakes, various little stuff that needs replacing) - and that's independent mechanic prices, not porsche dealer.

Otherwise, they are great all around cars.

Quick Reply: Moving abroad - buying a Cayenne