Sponsored by:

Cayenne V8 cylinder numbering

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2017, 04:37 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Cayenne V8 cylinder numbering

I'm pulling stuff apart to replace valve cover gaskets and I'm going to label the coil packs and plugs so that they go back to their correct places. I just wanted to verify how the cylinders are numbered. I *think* that it's the same as a 928, so that when you are standing in front of the engine bay, the cylinders on your left would be 1-4 (1 closest, 4 farthest) and on the right it would be 5-8. Also, I *think* that when ordering parts, left and right are from the perspective of the driver's seat. IE: what Porsche considers the right cylinder bank is the one on the left when viewed from in front of the vehicle. Is this correct? I want to double-check because on the Pelican Valve Cover Gasket replacement procedure they refer to right and left from the perspective of standing in front of the car and I think that they've got it backwards. The numbering of the coil packs on this diagram is cylinder order, correct?

cheers,
c
Old 12-29-2017, 06:19 PM
CAVU
Rennlist Member

Received 388 Likes on 289 Posts

Image is correct.
Old 12-29-2017, 07:26 PM
oldskewel
Burning Brakes

Received 139 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by vandal968
I'm pulling stuff apart to replace valve cover gaskets and I'm going to label the coil packs and plugs so that they go back to their correct places. I just wanted to verify how the cylinders are numbered. I *think* that it's the same as a 928, so that when you are standing in front of the engine bay, the cylinders on your left would be 1-4 (1 closest, 4 farthest) and on the right it would be 5-8. Also, I *think* that when ordering parts, left and right are from the perspective of the driver's seat. IE: what Porsche considers the right cylinder bank is the one on the left when viewed from in front of the vehicle. Is this correct? I want to double-check because on the Pelican Valve Cover Gasket replacement procedure they refer to right and left from the perspective of standing in front of the car and I think that they've got it backwards. The numbering of the coil packs on this diagram is cylinder order, correct?

cheers,
c
I agree with every thing you said, including that Pelican has it backwards. Well that part is my opinion. I always consider left to mean the port side, and right to be starboard, regardless of where you are standing. I.e., by standard convention it is the nominal direction of the vehicle that determines Left/Right/Up/Down, etc., rather than where the observer is. I wish Pelican followed that convention.

And also, cylinders 1-4, on the starboard side, are "bank 1". 5-8 are bank 2.
Old 12-29-2017, 09:26 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Excellent. Thank you both.

cheers,
c

Quick Reply: Cayenne V8 cylinder numbering