New Cayenne owner

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2017, 03:19 PM
vongo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Cayenne owner

Hey all,
just wanted to introduce myself....long tone pcar fan and owner of many German autos.
Picked up an 05 v6 six speed for a few grand and wanted to get some advise on what maintenance items I should be attacking after the smoking guns are addressed, namely, the brakes are shot, spark plugs and coils are original, exhaust is cracked at the first catalytic converter flange to secondary cat, the braided section. (Can I use a toaureg cats?) and the clutch system has air in it... I Think! (Poor shifting)
Other than those issues... I think it's pretty nice. I'm hoping to get it running well enough for the wife to replace her x5/6 which has over 250k miles.

I'm new to these vr6 engines... anything special I should be aware of? Are the coolant systems as faulty as the bmw ones?

waiting on parts now but once they get here i will dig into it. I'll post pictures as I go.
Wish me luck!
Old 12-22-2017, 04:06 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 997 Likes on 530 Posts

The V6 is about the most bullet-proof of the engine choices go, albeit underpowered.

Usually I suggest replacing anything that is a fluid in the vehicle. Make sure you use the Porsche approved fluids, particularly for the coolant and transmission/differentials.

That also includes the brake fluids. Start fresh with everything.

You should also invest in something like the iCarScan tool for reading faults. These things tend to generate enough code text to make a small novella.

The plastic coolant reservoir is a known problem, as is the Cardan Shaft. Rear hatch struts are another annual replacement. Do a search on the forum too learn about these.

Like any modern car overloaded with electronics you will find things can get complicated fast when it comes to little problems.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:40 AM
vongo
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Marv
The V6 is about the most bullet-proof of the engine choices go, albeit underpowered.

Usually I suggest replacing anything that is a fluid in the vehicle. Make sure you use the Porsche approved fluids, particularly for the coolant and transmission/differentials.

That also includes the brake fluids. Start fresh with everything.

You should also invest in something like the iCarScan tool for reading faults. These things tend to generate enough code text to make a small novella.

The plastic coolant reservoir is a known problem, as is the Cardan Shaft. Rear hatch struts are another annual replacement. Do a search on the forum too learn about these.

Like any modern car overloaded with electronics you will find things can get complicated fast when it comes to little problems.
Thanks for the reply...
the the engine does feel undersized but I'll happily take the reliability over the power. (I already have a go fast car).
So far, brakes are done, transmission fluid changed (synchromax), engine oil changed and headlights restoration done (much clearer now).
Does anyone know if there is a list of fluids recommended for each model? I've seen a list for the turbo cars but I'm not sure they are the same (base vs turbo)? I assume they are but...

Also, does anyone know how I should bleed the clutch system on one of these? The previous owner ran it low on fluid and it's feels like it needs to be bled (soft pedal). ?

Took it out yesterday and I love it! The car feels great on the road and is amazingly capable off road! (Which the X5 is not).

Quick Reply: New Cayenne owner