Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thinking about purchasing 2006 cayenne turbo

Old 12-21-2017, 05:47 PM
Shane Terry
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about purchasing 2006 cayenne turbo

I’m thinking about trading in my 2006 BMW X3 on a 2006 Porsche Cayenne turbo but am having trouble finding specific information about the coolant tube problem. What I would like to know is 1. Where are these tubes located within the motor 2. How much to have it professionally repaired. 3. Is this something that can be a DIY project for someone with VERY LITTLE mechanical experience or is it something that the motor has to be removed to do or some complicated thing like that. The vehicle I’m thinking about purchasing has 105,000 miles, any other info about common problems/quirck on these 955 turbos is appreciated. Also I know they’re proned to driveshaft problems, and that the air suspension maybe a cause for concern as well, but I don’t know how to tell if there’s something wrong with it’s the driveshaft during the test drive. Thank you in advance
Old 12-21-2017, 06:10 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Coolant pipes on 2006 probably already fixed. Otherwise, it's 500$ in parts and 8 hour labor in a shop.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:02 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 146 Likes on 100 Posts

...having trouble finding specific information about the coolant tube problem.
Really? Scroll back up and there is a pinned topic that reads Coolant pipes A-Z. There are over 500 posts in that thread alone.
If you search using Google, you'll probably find every aspect discussed a thousand times over on the internet.

It would also be wise to read the other pinned topics to learn about far more important things other than coolant tubes or cardan shafts.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:28 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

There are numerous issues with the 2003-2006 Cayenne that could fill a USB drive.

Do yourself a favor and consider a pre purchase inspection. A local Porsche dealership would be ideal.

If the seller does not cooperate, run don't walk away from the deal.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:21 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Read the sticky on the pipes. All the info you need, including pics of the process.

I really hope you already read the sticky titled "If you are thinking about buying a..."

To answer your questions:

1 - Under the intake manifold, in the "V" of the V-8. The intake & fuel rail both have to come off to get to the pipes.

2 - It's not a job for a first timer, but it's not all that difficult....
Except the coolant "T" on the turbo. THAT little unit is a huge pain in the neck.

The Pelican site has good writeups on the procedure. Lots of pics, needed tools, all that. Look through that and see what you think. Link to their Cayenne stuff:
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...yenne_Tech.htm

The cardan shaft is likely on it's way out if it hasn't been done already. When it goes, it sounds like a "midget with a hammer under the center console". It's a really loud pounding noise.
If it isn't making any noise, you can go under the car and look at the bearing support. It is thin rubber and tears eventually. Mine was starting to tear when I got it (at 103k).

Not sure what you are worrying about the air suspension. It's really robust. The compressor can fail after a while, but instead of paying for a whole new one, it can simply be rebuilt with a seal kit for a fraction of the cost.
Old 12-22-2017, 03:57 AM
Shane Terry
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by 19psi
Really? Scroll back up and there is a pinned topic that reads Coolant pipes A-Z. There are over 500 posts in that thread alone.
If you search using Google, you'll probably find every aspect discussed a thousand times over on the internet.

It would also be wise to read the other pinned topics to learn about far more important things other than coolant tubes or cardan shafts.
. Thank you for pointing those out to me, for some reason I didn’t see those, please excuse me for my ignorance
Old 12-22-2017, 09:24 PM
PTEC
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by v10rick
Do yourself a favor and consider a pre purchase inspection. A local Porsche dealership would be ideal.

Best advice. Take it to someone who knows them well and even a good indy just doesn't see them as much as a dealer. Just make sure the shop goon doesn't get it.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:02 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by v10rick
There are numerous issues with the 2003-2006 Cayenne that could fill a USB drive.

Originally Posted by PTEC
Best advice. Take it to someone who knows them well and even a good indy just doesn't see them as much as a dealer. Just make sure the shop goon doesn't get it.
Don't be so sure a dealer is "ideal".

I was a looooong way from happy with the PPI the local "stealership" did on mine. They missed a bunch of stuff.

Rear glass didn't close right.
Alarm horns were dead (soggy, most likely).
Rear park assist didn't work (solid red, steady beep).
Hatch struts were soft.
PCM had CD stuck in it.

All of this came back on the inspection form as "Pass".

I complained and ended up getting half my money back. Inspection took 2 hrs labor at shop rate, I ended up paying for one hour.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Thinking about purchasing 2006 cayenne turbo