Sponsored by:

PCM not reading CD tracks

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 04:25 PM
ILCUL8R
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCM not reading CD tracks

Hi. I have a 2009 GTS. PCM is ver 3.0 (I think). CD playback is fine except that with 95% of them the PCM is not displaying the track names, only "Track 1, Track 2," etc. etc. Very annoying. Now if I rip the CD to a PC and then copy files to a MP3 player and run that through the USB source on PCM, then the track names show up every time. Anyone have any insight into this shortcoming of this PCM ?
Thanks
Old 12-21-2017, 07:06 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

CD as in audio CD?
I think for track names to show up - they have to be recorded on the CD - i think it was called something like CDTEXT checkout this https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CD-Text
Old 12-22-2017, 05:57 PM
ILCUL8R
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yes Audio Cd. I took a look at the wikipedia link and that makes sense. So I guess the bottom line is that the Porsche PCM is incapable of reading the tracks of 95% of Audio Cds out there. Interesting that , as I said, the track names are readable if moved to a MP3 player and fed thru the USB to the PCM.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:11 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by ILCUL8R
Yes Audio Cd. I took a look at the wikipedia link and that makes sense. So I guess the bottom line is that the Porsche PCM is incapable of reading the tracks of 95% of Audio Cds out there. Interesting that , as I said, the track names are readable if moved to a MP3 player and fed thru the USB to the PCM.
My guess there is no track info on 95% of audio cds, cause if PCM reads CDTEXT - it will read it for any cd that has it.

MP3 players pull that information from online database and embed in mp3 tags

Quick Reply: PCM not reading CD tracks