Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Are there any Performance Tweaks for a V6 Cayenne?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2017, 09:03 AM
Aislinns_Daddy
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are there any Performance Tweaks for a V6 Cayenne?

Morning all,

Also wondering if there are any performance tweaks for the V6 Cayenne?
When I bought my 2005 two weeks ago it was unexciting, I assumed the Dealership (Lexus) had simply filled it with Regular Gas, so I am driving it like I stole it to use it all up.

I did put Fuel Injector Cleaner in the Tank too, and have noticed great improvement on acceleration from standstill, but Kick down for overtaking still "just makes it louder" without much increase in speed.

Had a Saab when I lived in the UK and the enhancements were a long list from simple to swapping most of the components.

Thanks in Advance.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:22 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

Sell it and buy a turbo. Not to point out the obvious, but you bought a heavy SUV with the smallest, least powerful motor. It's not going to be particularly fast, no matter what you do to it. Either enjoy it for what it is, or sell it and buy a Turbo.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:45 AM
Aislinns_Daddy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by docwyte
Sell it and buy a turbo. Not to point out the obvious, but you bought a heavy SUV with the smallest, least powerful motor. It's not going to be particularly fast, no matter what you do to it. Either enjoy it for what it is, or sell it and buy a Turbo.
Thanks for the heads up. Assumed there may be a chip mod, a remap or perhaps a K&N Airfilter tip.

I know all cars made after 1998 are down tuned to keep the tree huggers and delicate of hearing from crying and a few simple tips can usually eak out a few more BHP and/or better MPG.

Edited to Add: My Saab 95 Low Pressure Turbo 2.0 was 95BHP and 38 mpg stock, after a remap the Turbo could spin freely, making 135BHP and 42 mpg.
Could have gone to 305 BHP but that meant new 3" manifold, De-CAT 3" Exhaust, Upgraded Clutch, brakes, suspension.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:50 AM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

Yes BUT this isn't a turbo motor. There isn't a whole lot left on the table. You can spend your money on a tune and air filters and really only experience a lighter wallet. You won't be able to feel 10hp on a 5000lb truck.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:54 AM
Aislinns_Daddy
Intermediate

Yes BUT this isn't a turbo motor. There isn't a whole lot left on the table. You can spend your money on a tune and air filters and really only experience a lighter wallet. You won't be able to feel 10hp on a 5000lb truck.
But the correct RON rating fuel will help right, along with cleaner Fuel injectors?

Sales guy admitted they filled it from empty with Regular Gas.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:58 AM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Aislinns_Daddy
But the correct RON rating fuel will help right, along with cleaner Fuel injectors?
It wouldn't hurt - but you will not be able to feel much difference, early year V6, like you got, weren't exciting
Old 12-19-2017, 12:20 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sell it and buy a turbo.
LOL. I literally clicked on this thread to type exactly the same thing.

Aislinns, you aren't going to be able to make enough of a difference for it to be worthwhile, better to get what you want. This is similar to those people that buy a $2500 civic, dump $5000 worth of parts in it and end up with a $2500 civic. Just get the right car in the first place.

A few years ago, I had a guy pull up next to my 968 at a red light. Full-on rice burner, had the coffee can mufflers, had the huge rear-wing that would be at home on a 747. He yelled "Want to race?" ok. "I've got $5000 in this motor!" ok. At the next light, once he caught up, he wanted to know if my car was a v8, no. Turbo? no. Just a stock 4-banger.

Get the right car in the first place, you will be much better off doing that than throwing good money after bad.

cheers,
c
Old 12-19-2017, 12:20 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Any modern normally aspirated engine has little chance of any significant gains.

Manufactures tune their engines for optimal performance and economy (emissions).

Third-party venders will beg to differ, but the truth is that the paltry 10 -15 HP gains you get are barely felt. You need at least 100 HP to make a significant difference in performance, then you need to also consider suspension and brake upgrades to manage it. Sometimes remapping the ECU results in better performance at certain RPM, but the long and short of it is that it's just not worth it.

Although some people here will scream at me, I will give you my opinion. That is, stick with the stock V6, as it is dependable and good enough to do the job (towing may be an exception). If high performance is something you want, buy a sports car. As good as the Cayenne is, it is not even close to a competent sports car as far as overall performance goes.

If you can't have two vehicles, the Turbo is a logical alternative. It will address some of the acceleration desires and the brakes/suspension are better tuned to the power.
Old 12-19-2017, 12:41 PM
Aislinns_Daddy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Marv
Any modern normally aspirated engine has little chance of any significant gains.

Manufactures tune their engines for optimal performance and economy (emissions).

Third-party venders will beg to differ, but the truth is that the paltry 10 -15 HP gains you get are barely felt. You need at least 100 HP to make a significant difference in performance, then you need to also consider suspension and brake upgrades to manage it. Sometimes remapping the ECU results in better performance at certain RPM, but the long and short of it is that it's just not worth it.

Although some people here will scream at me, I will give you my opinion. That is, stick with the stock V6, as it is dependable and good enough to do the job (towing may be an exception). If high performance is something you want, buy a sports car. As good as the Cayenne is, it is not even close to a competent sports car as far as overall performance goes.

If you can't have two vehicles, the Turbo is a logical alternative. It will address some of the acceleration desires and the brakes/suspension are better tuned to the power.
Not looking for a supercar, simply curious as overtaking could be hazardous without a small boost in power, I have faith the issue is low octane fuel in the system.

as I said earlier, have noticed significant improvement by just pushing injector cleaner through my tank of low octane fuel.

will report back when I’ve used up all the “tap water” and filled up with the correct fuel.
Old 12-19-2017, 04:46 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

Not looking for a supercar, simply curious as overtaking could be hazardous without a small boost in power, I have faith the issue is low octane fuel in the system.
I have an '05 V6. If you're looking to overtake, you bought the wrong vehicle. It's fast enough to get up the on ramp, but I wouldn't do anything speed-racery in it. Just relax and enjoy the ride. If you put high-octane fuel in it, the only thing that will go faster is your paycheck.
Old 12-19-2017, 06:48 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

as I said earlier, have noticed significant improvement by just pushing injector cleaner through my tank of low octane fuel.

will report back when I’ve used up all the “tap water” and filled up with the correct fuel.
Our 2006 V6 is perfectly road worthy.

Do I wish I had more passing power from time to time? Yes, but it isn't necessary and the stock brakes already are a little wimpy anyway.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:01 AM
Pfeffer
2nd Gear

For overtaking you should put it into manual mode, downshift twice, get it up to speed, check that it's clear and then go for it. The secret is to get up to speed before you pull out. I cringe when I see people pull out and then speed up. Works in a fast car, but not in the family Honda Civic.
Old 12-20-2017, 08:35 AM
kraeburn
Instructor

If your butt dyno is calibrated well enough to feel a difference after changing fuel and running injector cleaner through the car then you truly have a transcendent set of cheeks. We are talking very marginal amounts of HP, whether it be the mods or the fuel itself. With used prices being what they are, just get a turbo.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:34 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 792 Likes on 444 Posts

^This.

Of course, why would anyone buy an SUV to go fast? That's what sports cars are for. Porsche sells those, I think.
Old 12-20-2017, 12:41 PM
Aislinns_Daddy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
^This.

Of course, why would anyone buy an SUV to go fast? That's what sports cars are for. Porsche sells those, I think.
dont want to go fast, just quicker.
wife has a V6 Durango, much heavier than the Cayenne but is quicker.

Quick Reply: Are there any Performance Tweaks for a V6 Cayenne?