Sponsored by:

new cayenne owner GTS

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2017, 11:50 PM
redstack
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new cayenne owner GTS

So I bought the 08 GTS on BAT today. I'd been wanting one to use as part of my retirement plans. But I hadn't thought I was that close to buying one. So I didn't ask a lot of questions I should have. Good news is the car fax shows most services done at a dealer. Oh well here goes.

O8 in West Palm.

I do love the color.
Old 12-11-2017, 11:54 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Looks great, post here your mileage and history of service and we can check if something is missing.
I think your passenger rear tire looks low on thread.
Few little things to do - and you will have years of enjoyment.
Old 12-12-2017, 12:17 AM
redstack
Instructor

Yea tomorrow I'll get the VIN and see what I can find out on here from that. I was just looking at tires, ouch, but Tire Rack has several, but only two all season. Costco had a Mich latitude but were not in stock right now.
Rims look pretty beat up too. I've seen some good used rims and heard that going down to 18's can be an improvement in ride. But maybe get some good summer tires for the 21's and cold rainy weather tires on the 18-20" wheels?
Old 12-12-2017, 12:34 AM
Kirill
Racer

Originally Posted by redstack
Yea tomorrow I'll get the VIN and see what I can find out on here from that. I was just looking at tires, ouch, but Tire Rack has several, but only two all season. Costco had a Mich latitude but were not in stock right now.
Rims look pretty beat up too. I've seen some good used rims and heard that going down to 18's can be an improvement in ride. But maybe get some good summer tires for the 21's and cold rainy weather tires on the 18-20" wheels?
If I was doing it - I would paint rims black (I think you have what is called blackout exterior accents package) so black rims will match the whole theme and will look brand new I used to pay 100$-150$ per rim for paint and I had TireRack ship tires to bodyshop - they would mount them for me so I get a one-stop convenience. I would get new Pirelli Scorpion summer tires - you not going to need snows in Florida, all seasons probably an overkill too.

Good used rims will be about 1500$, Don't get knock-offs - Cayenne is a heavy beast and knocks off can break - I used to spend weeks reading all tire reviews than I decided to pay more for manufacturer recommended tires and so far been very happy - hours of research on tires are gone.
I have 2014 GTS with air suspension on 21" Michelins - ride can be anything I want with a touch of a button on air suspension control.

Do you have tire pressure sensors working? You may want to try to figure out if they need to be replaced with this tire change.
Old 12-14-2017, 06:15 PM
BIG smoke
Drifting

Received 142 Likes on 111 Posts

I was watching that vehicle on BAT as well. Congratulations.
Needs new tires? and Rims are messed.
Order rims and tires off of tire rack. Mounted and balanced to your door.
Sell the OEM's to recoup some dough.
Old 12-14-2017, 07:37 PM
redstack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kirill
If I was doing it - I would paint rims black (I think you have what is called blackout exterior accents package) so black rims will match the whole theme and will look brand new I used to pay 100$-150$ per rim for paint and I had TireRack ship tires to bodyshop - they would mount them for me so I get a one-stop convenience. I would get new Pirelli Scorpion summer tires - you not going to need snows in Florida, all seasons probably an overkill too.

Good used rims will be about 1500$, Don't get knock-offs - Cayenne is a heavy beast and knocks off can break - I used to spend weeks reading all tire reviews than I decided to pay more for manufacturer recommended tires and so far been very happy - hours of research on tires are gone.
I have 2014 GTS with air suspension on 21" Michelins - ride can be anything I want with a touch of a button on air suspension control.

Do you have tire pressure sensors working? You may want to try to figure out if they need to be replaced with this tire change.
I really don't care for the black wheel look, but a red car is about the best for it. What do you mean I don't need snows! didn't you see that just last week we had 2" of snow! It was gone by 0800 but still. I figured maybe AS as I hope to be making trips towing a trailer later. But yea I've run a lot of Summer tires on cars here. I see tire rack has some tires that are even N rated for Porsche. All seem to be $300 +- .

I'm wondering, there is a wheel refurb business over in Mobile I might just see what that would run. The tire pressures all seem to work, need to check the specs. It has a compact spare, so Yay!

Truck arrived this morning, Looks pretty good. No door dings, two chips on the hood, two long scratches on the roof, but again not deep. I'm thinking Dr Color might take care of those. Lower facia lots of rock chips. Interior good but can use a detailing. Lower plastic triangle on the steering wheel fell off, might be able to super glue the little stud, or can I order one?

Air suspension seems to work, the compressor doesn't run until the air bottle is bled down with changes. AC works, but not sure the heater does, must be something I need to push differently. Upholstery looks good as does the headliner, sunroof works.

Engine compartment needs detailing, looks like they lived down a dirt road! I'm waiting for a printout of the service records the seller is getting as well as another key fob. Manuals in the glove box, thank God.

Things on the first fix it list, the gas gauge reads barely half after filling the tank with 18 gal from 1/4 on the gauge. Any thoughts on how to trouble shoot this. Also noticed I had to use the usual porsche trick of holding the nozzle upside down to get the gas to go into the tank. The ashtray won't stay in. OH and the radio keeps starting up on some religious station.

I'm sure there is more to follow, this is just the first blush evaluation.

Last edited by redstack; 12-14-2017 at 08:22 PM. Reason: mispelled word
Old 12-14-2017, 08:18 PM
redstack
Instructor

OK, figured out the options list. https://admin.porschedealer.com/repo...AD29P08LA72958 . Only question is what is the light comfort package and entry and drive? The last being the one where you keep the key in your pocket? But that normally has a key in place in the ignition doesen't it? This has a normal key which I prefer due to the issues with the key-less entry. Maybe someone changed it over the years?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:20 PM
redstack
Instructor

Oh yea one more thing, the wheel bolts are pretty rusty and ugly, is there supposed to be a cover on them or something?
Old 12-14-2017, 08:50 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

Oh yea one more thing, the wheel bolts are pretty rusty and ugly, is there supposed to be a cover on them or something?
Nice Truck!

No covers, paint the bolts if its bothersome.

If you prefer to DIY consider investing in a scan tool to read stored diagnostic codes. I have the Durametric but there are others that cost less.
This may help with diagnosing the gas gauge issue.
Old 12-15-2017, 03:32 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Very nice! Congratulations. Entry and drive is great (and the one option my $142k CTTS doesn't have! ) You should have a plastic key that stays in the ignition. If not they run about $15 at a dealer. Don't go with anything smaller than 20s on a GTS- smaller wheels look a bit strange with the wheel arch extensions. It's fine for winter snows as they are a compromise anyway, but it sounds like you only really need summer tires.

Cheers,
TomF
Old 12-15-2017, 11:00 AM
redstack
Instructor

Yea, I noticed that there are a lot more options in the 20" tires than the 21"

Question, what is the ET required for the Cayenne and would any 20-21" Cayenne wheel basically fit on my GTS?
Old 12-15-2017, 11:08 AM
Kirill
Racer

Yea, I noticed that there are a lot more options in the 20" tires than the 21"

Question, what is the ET required for the Cayenne and would any 20-21" Cayenne wheel basically fit on my GTS?
Here is what Porsche recommends:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor.../tyreapproval/

As Tom said - you don't want to go narrow, Actually, first compliment I received on my GTS was about how thick the tires were.
Old 12-17-2017, 06:50 PM
redstack
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kirill
Here is what Porsche recommends:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessor.../tyreapproval/

As Tom said - you don't want to go narrow, Actually, first compliment I received on my GTS was about how thick the tires were.
Thanks for that information, it seems that those tires are all that show up on Tire Rack anyway. I guess you are right, why fight a great design.
Old 12-20-2017, 04:31 PM
curtsr
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on a great deal!
Old 12-20-2017, 07:29 PM
mymac
Pro

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

What is BAT???

Quick Reply: new cayenne owner GTS