Turn ignition to the left for two seconds

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 08:53 PM
andrewjt19
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turn ignition to the left for two seconds

Hello Everyone,
I was hoping to get some advice about an issue I think I am having with my 2004 Cayenne Turbo. I have had the car since April 2017 and for the most part things have been going very well. A few things have popped up, but for the most I have been able to tackle them with the help of forum members. Here's the issue I'm having now...

When I turn the vehicle off, the seat and steering wheel used to reset to the farthest position. Meaning, the steering wheel in all the way and the seat down and back all the way. I thought I read this in the manual too. I distinctly remember the information center in the dash luster displaying this message which precipitated the resetting of the steering wheel and seat: "Turn ignition to the left for two seconds". Long story short I have no seen that message for about two months and the steering wheel and seat do not reset automatically when the vehicle is turned off.

I am having other issues which maybe related like the driver door not being senses when it is open. I think it has something to do with the locking system in the driver door and will be having some warranty work done soon. I also thought it might be the battery which I replaced. The problem persist. As far as the warranty work I'll be having done, I'll report back next week when it's complete.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:59 AM
ScootCherHienie
Burning Brakes

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Before you had this problem, did the steering wheel and seat move away when you turned the key... or did you have to open the door before the seat and steering wheel would move?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:32 AM
andrewjt19
Advanced

I forgot to mention that the vehicle no longer displays the message after turning it off and of course the seat and steering wheel do not reset anymore. As far as the door being sensed as open or closed, I think this problem was there before I recognized it. The steering wheel and seat used to work fine. I'm about to take it to the garage next week to get the door fixed along with some other items, so we'll see if the door issue is a part of the resetting dilemma.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:42 AM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by andrewjt19
I forgot to mention that the vehicle no longer displays the message after turning it off and of course the seat and steering wheel do not reset anymore. As far as the door being sensed as open or closed, I think this problem was there before I recognized it. The steering wheel and seat used to work fine. I'm about to take it to the garage next week to get the door fixed along with some other items, so we'll see if the door issue is a part of the resetting dilemma.
Do you have the setting for the comfort entry enabled? it should be controlled by the dashboard cluster -
Old 12-01-2017, 09:46 AM
andrewjt19
Advanced

Originally Posted by Kirill
Do you have the setting for the comfort entry enabled? it should be controlled by the dashboard cluster - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtZw-S6S9MM
I have not changed any settings in the Comfort settings yet this stopped working. Additionally, the comfort settings shown in the video are more comprehensive than the 04 CTT.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:51 AM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have not changed any settings in the Comfort settings yet this stopped working. Additionally, the comfort settings shown in the video are more comprehensive than the 04 CTT.
Yea its different screens - but menus are similar - check the setting maybe it was reset somehow.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:04 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

On my 05, the seat won't move until I open the door, the steering wheel moves as soon as I either turn off the key or pull it out (not quite sure).

If your door switch is not working, that may be part of the issue.

One other possibility is that you turned the feature off. It's called "Easy Entry" in the Owner's Manual. There's a button just ahead of the steering wheel adjustment that turns it on and off.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:30 AM
andrewjt19
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
On my 05, the seat won't move until I open the door, the steering wheel moves as soon as I either turn off the key or pull it out (not quite sure).

If your door switch is not working, that may be part of the issue.

One other possibility is that you turned the feature off. It's called "Easy Entry" in the Owner's Manual. There's a button just ahead of the steering wheel adjustment that turns it on and off.
Joe,
This is very helpful information. I do think the door issue is related... As far as the Easy Entry button where is this exactly. I'm not in my vehicle currently but a picture of it would be great.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:33 AM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

The steering wheel adjustment button is on the right side of the steering column. Where the ignition on an older American car would always be. It's a 4 way rocker.

Just ahead (towards the dash) of that is a round button. That's it.
Old 12-01-2017, 11:41 AM
andrewjt19
Advanced

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
The steering wheel adjustment button is on the right side of the steering column. Where the ignition on an older American car would always be. It's a 4 way rocker.

Just ahead (towards the dash) of that is a round button. That's it.
Ok... I don't think I've seen that before. I'm texting my wife to see if that helps. Will report back. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2017, 12:27 PM
andrewjt19
Advanced

Ok... I don't think I've seen that before. I'm texting my wife to see if that helps. Will report back. Thank you.
Yep. That was it! At least for the resetting of the steering wheel and seat... Cool. Thank you!

Does anyone know what the "Hold ignition to the left for two seconds" actually does then?
Old 12-01-2017, 03:07 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Andrew - your cover is coming apart. There shouldn't be that gap.. you might want to figure out why.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:13 PM
andrewjt19
Advanced

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Andrew - your cover is coming apart. There shouldn't be that gap.. you might want to figure out why.
You're right, I noticed it after I posted the picture. My wife drives the Cayenne mostly I'm sure she didn't notice. Thank you.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:46 PM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I’m curious about the 2 second ignition thing too. I always see it, always ignore it. I assumed it turned off all the power immediately as opposed to a few minutes later like it does if you have the engine off but ignition on.
Old 12-01-2017, 08:11 PM
fortysixandtwo
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yep. That was it! At least for the resetting of the steering wheel and seat... Cool. Thank you!

Does anyone know what the "Hold ignition to the left for two seconds" actually does then?
If you have the enter and drive option, and use the plastic key, it enables the steering wheel lock.

Quick Reply: Turn ignition to the left for two seconds