Sponsored by:

05 CTT Battery Symbol and electrical issues

Old 11-25-2017, 06:56 AM
louloukoi
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 05 CTT Battery Symbol and electrical issues

Hi all,
First id like to say what a good forum this is! i have been reading up on here since i brought my 05 CTT so much knowledge.
So where this all started when i didn't think i had a problem.

I was sitting in the car playing with the radio settings and then i got the battery symbol appear on the dash, obviously this was because i didn't have the car started.

After i started here up this disappeared which was fine for a few weeks, after this when it got a bit colder outside i would have the battery light intermittently appear then disappear when i turned the car off and restarted. (also had some other issues with left headlight flicking on and off after i replaced the lamps as they were a slightly different colour to each other)

Last week one evening i went to pick up the other half from the train station when i notice the battery light came on again i restarted it and all was fine, then 5 minutes later driving back home i noticed the AC stopped working and the rear demister).

I parked up and turned the car off again this time it would restart, i left it to rest for 10 minutes then it started.

I went to the Petrol station to fill up as i was a bit low on fuel, but whilst on the way there all the lights inside the car turned off and so did the dash, i went to restart the car again and it didn't! I managed to get a jump start and rush home. after sitting outside home the screen showed fault generator and everything turn off inside but the car was still running i parked up on the driveway and have left it.

I tried a new battery yesterday thinking the old one wasn't taking charge (old battery seems to be about 2 years old) It started up fine but after 10 minutes i got Battery symbol up again and also Electrical Load Switch Off.

I measured the battery voltage directly on the battery which was reading 11.9V and at the posts in the engine bay at 12.0V.
This dropped to 11.5V so i turned the car off as i didn't want to damage the new battery.
Current when key was out the car But doors open Read 1.0 Amp
Started her up again and Current reading with only engine running was 2.5 Amps (All accessories off)

I know when starting the car up the voltage should be about 13.9V to 14.5V as obviously alternator should be kicking that out to charge the battery and also feed some accessories, But could there be a drain somewhere whilst running that doesn't show? Or if the alternator is not getting a signal to engage?
Does anyone know where to get what the Current should be for when the car is at rest and running with different accessorises?

Regards
Lou

Last edited by louloukoi; 11-25-2017 at 06:59 AM. Reason: spelling errors
Old 11-25-2017, 11:05 AM
jeanmarcboilard
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

My guess would be a bad alternator.
Old 11-26-2017, 10:08 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Agree^^^or defective regulator.

With the engine running just above idle you should read 14V at the jump post terminals.

That "load" message is an indicator the voltage is low, not necessarily an excessive load.
Old 12-10-2017, 04:52 PM
Brandon Buchanan
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so I replaced the ignition switch, and the problem still exist. Can anyone point me at which module controls the dash? I loose not only the instrument cluster, but the climate controls as well..

As stated pulling the battery cable for a few seconds resolves the issue temporarily.
Old 12-10-2017, 05:20 PM
19psi
Burning Brakes

Received 144 Likes on 98 Posts

Why would you replace the ignition switch? The vehicle is doing what it's supposed to do during a discharge/critically low voltage situation. You don't need dash gadgets, heated seats, a stereo, climate controls, etc. so it shuts all that down in order to keep you moving as long as you can during an emergency situation. Pretty much common in any modern car.

As others have mentioned, you most likely have a bad alternator.
Old 12-10-2017, 07:54 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Lou,

Fixing by randomly replacing parts can get rather expensive.. the symptoms point to an alternator. It's a PITA to do on the turbo. You may want to consider professional help, perhaps an independent mechanic who works on Porsches..

BTW - are you also louloukoy? You really are only allowed one account on Rennlist..

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 05 CTT Battery Symbol and electrical issues