Sponsored by:

Rear camera install DIY

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 08:02 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by kyoso23
So, nice writeup then. Thank you! I'm about to tackle the head unit/backup camera, etc... in the next week or so. Let me ask as it appears I bought a similar camera to what you've installed. Did you replace the other license plate light to match the LED color on the one in the camera? I'm trying to figure out what bulb to buy that will match.
Thanks. Thought I’d do my bit!
Not yet I haven’t swapped it - I’ve actually just ordered an led bulb to see what it looks like.
Im not sure if it would look best with a new bulb or complete led fitting as It needs to be of a similar brightness. There are also a myriad of bulbs to choose from. (I’ve ordered error free ones).
trial and error I suppose. I’ll let you know how it looks.
Old 01-04-2018, 08:33 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Officially made a DIY: https://rennlist.com/forums/cayenne-...up-camera.html

Thanks Karl
Old 01-04-2018, 09:58 PM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stringbag

Thanks. Thought I’d do my bit!
Not yet I haven’t swapped it - I’ve actually just ordered an led bulb to see what it looks like.
Im not sure if it would look best with a new bulb or complete led fitting as It needs to be of a similar brightness. There are also a myriad of bulbs to choose from. (I’ve ordered error free ones).
trial and error I suppose. I’ll let you know how it looks.
Thank you for sharing this, very helpful.
The way you have wired the power to the camera, is it constant on? (I get the point about headunit only showing it when you put the gear in reverse)
Old 01-04-2018, 11:44 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I am thinking about switching to this type of camera from the one I am currently using on receiver. Can you tell us where you ordered it and if you found an LED bulb that matched?
Old 01-05-2018, 01:37 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by nodoors
I am thinking about switching to this type of camera from the one I am currently using on receiver. Can you tell us where you ordered it and if you found an LED bulb that matched?
Also looking for the right bulb
Old 01-05-2018, 08:17 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Originally Posted by mikeymikey
Thank you for sharing this, very helpful.
The way you have wired the power to the camera, is it constant on? (I get the point about headunit only showing it when you put the gear in reverse)
you could do it either way. There is a reverse trigger at the head unit end - it’s on the canbus. the adapter harness that I used took the canbus signal and, amongst other things, provided a 12v supply when reverse is selected. This wire is connected to both the head unit camera trigger, so that the image from the camera is automatically brought up, and the camera supply.
So no, it isn’t on all the time.
However, it could be if the camera power wire were to be connected to the switched supply instead. The wires are all there behind the head unit. I didn’t do it that way.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:19 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Originally Posted by MR Turco
Also looking for the right bulb
it’s in the post.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:20 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Originally Posted by nodoors
Ebay. I’m in the uk! Bulb selection on its way.
Old 01-05-2018, 08:33 PM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Originally Posted by Stringbag

you could do it either way. There is a reverse trigger at the head unit end - it’s on the canbus. the adapter harness that I used took the canbus signal and, amongst other things, provided a 12v supply when reverse is selected. This wire is connected to both the head unit camera trigger, so that the image from the camera is automatically brought up, and the camera supply.
So no, it isn’t on all the time.
However, it could be if the camera power wire were to be connected to the switched supply instead. The wires are all there behind the head unit. I didn’t do it that way.
Thanks for the reply. Switched output make sense. I don't think $10 Chinese cameras are meant to be always on (it would be kinds cool).
Do you have the link to the camera? The one I purchased from ebay last year is similar style but requires drilling because holes don't line up. Two other options are 1) a small square one like the ones from Alpine/Pioneer or 2) aliexpress has some which are similar to Navtek ones and supposed to fit into the where the switch to open the tailgate is. I don't know how they will fit and communication with aliexpress sellers is a challenge even after asking the same question four different ways to two different sellers. If anyone has thoughts on these cameras, please share. thx
Old 01-06-2018, 12:25 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I currently have my camera wired to acc so I can use it underway. My CTT acts as a my light toy hauler. I regularly have a random contraption which costs more than the CTT tied down in the hitch basket or in tow. It is nice to keep an eye on the cargo in transit to see how well things are fastened when going down bumpy roads to get to flying areas, riding areas, backwater launch spots, etc.
Old 03-15-2018, 10:14 AM
mikeymikey
Instructor

Anyone got link to the camera unit that they have installed? I looked some on ebay and the description is all over the place with some claiming that you need to drill holes when replacing one of the license plate lights.
thx
Old 03-15-2018, 10:38 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Anyone got link to the camera unit that they have installed? I looked some on ebay and the description is all over the place with some claiming that you need to drill holes when replacing one of the license plate lights.
thx
I fell into that trap. The first one I got didn't fit at all. I got this one:
Amazon Amazon
It fit fine and works very well. The only issue was that you will need to splice into the the license plate light wiring to wire up the light. There was no plug. Not a big deal, as I had to have the interior panels off to run the wiring and video cable anyway, so just an additional 5 minutes to strip the wires and solder them up.
Old 03-15-2018, 06:57 PM
Stringbag
Pro

thx
I just bought one off eBay. I have sent you the link via pm, but I’m in the uk so probably doesn’t help!
You could always measure the old light fitting and send the seller a qestion. Or buy the amazon one.

Oh, and to update the matching bulb - tried several, haven’t found one that works. They are all too bright so far. Correct colour but far too bright and it looks odd.
Old 12-27-2018, 09:45 AM
reyxlp
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks for the reply. Switched output make sense. I don't think $10 Chinese cameras are meant to be always on (it would be kinds cool).
Do you have the link to the camera? The one I purchased from ebay last year is similar style but requires drilling because holes don't line up. Two other options are 1) a small square one like the ones from Alpine/Pioneer or 2) aliexpress has some which are similar to Navtek ones and supposed to fit into the where the switch to open the tailgate is. I don't know how they will fit and communication with aliexpress sellers is a challenge even after asking the same question four different ways to two different sellers. If anyone has thoughts on these cameras, please share. thx
Thanks so much for this write up!

Please help me understand something ('06 CTTS)-- is there a power source for the camera I can tap that will turn it on when the stock head unit activates the backup camera display?

If you tap the reverse light, the camera will only power on while the car is actually in reverse -- however, the head unit keeps the backup camera display on for a while longer, even after you've put the car back in park, as you would want it to especially when parallel parking.

If you tap a 12v source that's always on, then the camera will always be on whenever the car is on, which seems like unnecessary wear and tear on the camera, as another poster commented.

Is there a 12v source you can tap that will turn the camera on whenever the backup camera display is on -- one of the wires in the head unit bundle, correct? Would you happen to know which one? Or am I misunderstanding this whole thing lol.. Thanks!

Old 12-27-2018, 09:50 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Isnt there a hot-on-run accessory outlet in the back? Wire it to that.

Quick Reply: Rear camera install DIY