Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver side heated seat works intermittently...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 09:46 PM
trivgar
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Driver side heated seat works intermittently...

Hello all. I've had my 06 turbo for a couple years now and the driver heated seat has never really worked. The rears and the passenger seat work great. The drivers seat will heat up, then shut off after a few minutes. If I switch the **** (ie from 4 to 5) the seat will come back on for a few more minutes. I can essentially get it to stay warm forever if I just constantly switch the heat setting.

I've done lots of searches online over the past few years and I've never really come up with any good ideas about what may be the problem. It seems like in most cases, they either work or they don't. Any ideas?
Old 11-20-2017, 10:29 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

There may be an overheat sensor in the seat (to prevent things like Volvo had - where people were getting burned when the seats caught fire) that's flakey. The system might initially ignore it when turned on, then it might be triggered by the seat heating up. Just speculation - dunno if the wiring diagrams show down to that level of detail.
Old 11-21-2017, 09:38 AM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 81 Posts

The drivers seat circuit is isolated from all other seat circuits, which confirms your observations.

The wiring diagram shows a left front seat heater control unit, potentiometer, diode and generator (have no clue what this does).

Assuming the drivers seat gets the most use I am guessing there is a short circuit in the seat heater causing the protection circuit to trip.

The backrest heater is wired in parallel with the seat heater. If you could trace the wiring and isolate the two this may provide a clue which is at fault.

The wire colors are the same for both the seat and backrest heaters so this may prove interesting.

I don't have heated seats but looked into an aftermarket setup. A local auto upholestry shop agreed to do the installation. It never happened.

Quick Reply: Driver side heated seat works intermittently...