Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Rear- Ended Tonight, Need Advice Dealing With Insurance, etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:50 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. Sucks having to get up and deal with this today. I took some better pics in the light of day (see below). As to the question of the wheel wells, I don't see anything. Only thing I notice besides the obvious is the front passenger door gap seems smaller at the bottom of the door then the top. I don't remember if this was there prior though so not sure. What I can tell is the lift gate is toast. It is folded in every possible way. Missing some sort of trim piece below the glass. Bumper messed up in several areas. Looked under the back of the car and on the drivers side the frame that the bumper bolts to is definitely bent. Driver's side light is broken and pushed "into" the body in multiple plane angles. Definitely bent up stuff all over. Insurance company has called twice today saying they are waiting for the guy to admit fault the way he did in front of the officers, hopefully he will so I can move forward. Hope it can be fixed but looks bad to me:

Old 11-18-2017, 02:14 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 6,139 Likes on 3,912 Posts

Man, this sucks. If the 957 rear bumper will fit your 955, I have s complete Turbo S one I'm selling. You'd need to repaint it, but if there isn't other hidden damage that might get you back in the road and with a sportier upgraded look.

https://rennlist.com/forums/parts-marketplace/1028130-cayenne-front-and-rear-facelift-kit-turn-your-base-or-s-into-turbo-look.html

Email is petza914@gmail.com
Old 11-18-2017, 07:51 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Forget repairing if the door gap is uneven, the chassis is tweaked.

The comment about waiting for admission of guilt is BS. They could be waiting for the police report to be filed.

Regardless of who was at fault your insurance company should settle the claim, without delay.
They will attempt to recover their loss from the driver who caused the accident...a process known as subrogation.

Last edited by v10rick; 11-18-2017 at 08:14 PM.
Old 11-18-2017, 08:01 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Rear end accidents are 99% of the time charged at fault to the driver in the back as "following too closely for conditions", "distracted driving", etc. This is even the case when an animal jumps out. If the car in front reacts to the animal and slams on the brakes and the guy behind hits him, still the fault of the guy in the back. The only exception is if you had cut in front of him from from another lane and he couldn't stop.
Old 11-19-2017, 10:49 AM
JuannaKnowtrooth
Intermediate

1. Biggest point is to be patient. Don't panic, don't be impulsive.
2. Your wife was injured. At least to the point of needing ED visit and apparently minor treatment...this will make any insurance very very nervous
3. Before worrying too much about the car (just get a rental and worry about cost later), make sure the next week or two your wife is ok
4. Once you are satisfied that your wife is ok, you will need to consider those costs of her involvement, including time off work, etc, as well as the car
5. Total the car. It will never be the same. Post crash value is less $2k for parting it out. You'll get stuck with it
6.KEY: because of the injury, most insurance companies will want to swoop and close this thing ASAP. A stipulation you must make is something like
"hey, I want to be fair, and I really don't want to get lawyers involved...it's going to cost me $15k, $20k, whatever to replace this vehicle."
Offer to work in the "fair zone" without a lawyer first, many times they will be remarkably cooperative
7. Do not let any chiropractor touch your wife's neck!!! Look up chiropractors causing stroke manipulating the neck...I've personally seen it 5 different times in my 20 career (I'm a physician)
8. Be patient and don't be impulsive, did I mention that?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:49 AM
mtnrat
Drifting

Received 548 Likes on 346 Posts

Originally Posted by JuannaKnowtrooth
1. Biggest point is to be patient. Don't panic, don't be impulsive.
2. Your wife was injured. At least to the point of needing ED visit and apparently minor treatment...this will make any insurance very very nervous
3. Before worrying too much about the car (just get a rental and worry about cost later), make sure the next week or two your wife is ok
4. Once you are satisfied that your wife is ok, you will need to consider those costs of her involvement, including time off work, etc, as well as the car
5. Total the car. It will never be the same. Post crash value is less $2k for parting it out. You'll get stuck with it
6.KEY: because of the injury, most insurance companies will want to swoop and close this thing ASAP. A stipulation you must make is something like
"hey, I want to be fair, and I really don't want to get lawyers involved...it's going to cost me $15k, $20k, whatever to replace this vehicle."
Offer to work in the "fair zone" without a lawyer first, many times they will be remarkably cooperative
7. Do not let any chiropractor touch your wife's neck!!! Look up chiropractors causing stroke manipulating the neck...I've personally seen it 5 different times in my 20 career (I'm a physician)
8. Be patient and don't be impulsive, did I mention that?
This is good advice.
Old 11-19-2017, 12:14 PM
Macster
Race Director

Received 246 Likes on 217 Posts

Don't usually hang here but spotted the post.

Been through this a time or two. In 2009 lost a 4 week old 2008 Cayman S when another driver lost control and her car smashed the driver side front wheel area.

Turn this over to the other driver's insurance. Be sure you get a letter from his insurance claiming responsibility.

Be sure your dear wife is ok.

You need to pick a shop that is a Porsche Approved Collision Center so it can make a proper estimate of the cost of puttng the car right.

I would hazard a guess the cost of repairs will result in the car being a total loss.

I would not buy the car back and try to fix it on the cheap. With some vehicles, a vehicle reaches a point at which is it is suitable only to serve as a donor to keep other more fortunate vehicles on the road. I believe your Cayenne is at this point.

Insist the other driver's insurance company find a comparable vehicle about the same year -- or a bit newer but not older -- optioned as close to your Cayenne and in other ways acceptable to you.

Be prepared to have some well, stinkers, offered. Do not be afraid to reject these due to mileage, lack of service, condition, age, or because they are not optioned as you require.

This can't be rushed. You do not have to accept an offer. The other driver's insurance company is on the hook to make you whole. You can speak to an attorney if you want to get a feel for what your rights are i this case but just as a consultation. There is no where near enough money involved to warrant an attorney. (Years ago I was in a motorcycle accident. Suffered a severe fracture of my right femur. Other driver ran a red light. Before I knew it my father in law enlisted an attorney. Long story short the attorney ended up collecting about 50% of the settlement and this was without going to court. I think I would have done better without the attorney.)
Old 11-19-2017, 12:31 PM
prosled8
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just a few things I know... My 08 CTT was totaled by a deer accident, initial estimate, because the shop wanted thee work was $11k. I did not want a repaired CTT for obvious resale reasons. I insisted they do a disassembly and re estimate. This took a week but resulted in $21k in damage, enough to total the car. I did not have to fight or argue with the ins co. They gave me a fair market value plus tax and registration fees within 2-3 days of the decision.

When the UPS truck ran my son off the road they not only replaced the car but because he had to visit the ER there was a further settlement that you may also be entitled to. They gave us $4000 for the truck I bought for him 8 months earlier for $2200 and he received an $8000 settlement on his $1500 doctor visit.

My point is, you may come out of this better than has been reported thus far. I did not have to fight one bit to get fair settlements from either my ins co or the other party in my sons case.

Personally I would push to total and find another nice used one, there are plenty on the market. I second the advice to be a little patient. You need to keep after the ins co but as long as the process is moving forward, I suspect you will come out just fine. Only you can decide if the car is worth buying back or getting a low estimate and fixing it. That route just seems more problematic in the end. Good Luck.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:15 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Originally Posted by prosled8
Just a few things I know... My 08 CTT was totaled by a deer accident, initial estimate, because the shop wanted thee work was $11k. I did not want a repaired CTT for obvious resale reasons. I insisted they do a disassembly and re estimate. This took a week but resulted in $21k in damage, enough to total the car. I did not have to fight or argue with the ins co. They gave me a fair market value plus tax and registration fees within 2-3 days of the decision.

When the UPS truck ran my son off the road they not only replaced the car but because he had to visit the ER there was a further settlement that you may also be entitled to. They gave us $4000 for the truck I bought for him 8 months earlier for $2200 and he received an $8000 settlement on his $1500 doctor visit.

My point is, you may come out of this better than has been reported thus far. I did not have to fight one bit to get fair settlements from either my ins co or the other party in my sons case.

Personally I would push to total and find another nice used one, there are plenty on the market. I second the advice to be a little patient. You need to keep after the ins co but as long as the process is moving forward, I suspect you will come out just fine. Only you can decide if the car is worth buying back or getting a low estimate and fixing it. That route just seems more problematic in the end. Good Luck.
Thanks everyone for your advice, it really really helps. Prosled, I wanted to ask you specifically about the accident with your son. It sounds similar in the fact that there was some pain/injury/procaution to go the ER as we did. She has a followup with a doctor this week because she is stiff and every now and then has a shooting pain. My question is with the "other" settlement. So the car is straight forward, I'm sure I'm going to get dicked with b/c my car is an 04 with high mileage and I doubt they will take into consideration all the work I put into it but oh well that's life. The "other" portion is what I'm concerned with. I do not want to get a lawyer involved, I hate that whole process. But I do think it would be fair for them to offer something. My wife has a perfect driving record, was minding her own business, etc. etc. when jacked up truck guy comes barelling down the road into her, probably looking at his phone. Did they just offer you that? Did you have to ask for something? Not sure how this works, and don't want to get dicked as hard on this as I am going to on the Cayenne. Thanks for any advice.
Old 11-19-2017, 01:45 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

I hate Lawyers too.... but, if his insurance is gonna dick around - then getting one is the best thing to do. My personal rule is.... if I gotta involve a Land Shark(Attorney), then I'm going for MAX AWARDS, Larry Parker style. If you need to extend credit cards or take a second mortgage....it's sooo worth the effort.
Old 11-19-2017, 02:12 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dilberto
I hate Lawyers too.... but, if his insurance is gonna dick around - then getting one is the best thing to do. My personal rule is.... if I gotta involve a Land Shark(Attorney), then I'm going for MAX AWARDS, Larry Parker style. If you need to extend credit cards or take a second mortgage....it's sooo worth the effort.
I'm just looking for what is fair, that's all. My wife nor I want to deal with this, and only have to because of the carelessness of the liable insured driver. It would be nice if they came out of the gate with a reasonable total package deal for both the car and the experience my wife has to go through but I'm not sure it will happen. I think an attorney would only complicate things at this point and it makes me sick to think of one of those guys "amping up everything" so he can get paid, that is wrong on so many levels. Unfortunately it seems like all to many times though that is how this $hitty game is played, I hope not in this case but we will see. I will tell you if the car is totaled like everyone thinks it will be, I'm going to be putting her in another Cayenne hands down. I'm so sad to look at the beautiful girl crumpled up in the garage but she did her job and protected my wife from being killed as this guy had a "jacked up" truck that would have run over the top of her in her old car. She came to me a few months ago and said she was scared to keep driving her little BMW Z roadster and wanted to drive the Cayenne. I thought she was silly for letting these asshat drivers down her run her off from the car she loved, but now I'm really thankful she was in the old beast. I'm going to put her in the twin-turbo model though. I think it would be fun for me to use on the weekends and she will still be protected day to day. Plus how cool would it be to have my two beauties sitting in the garage side by side I took this picture when I first got the 911TT sitting next to big brother, will take again if I can round up a nice CTT:

Old 11-22-2017, 03:33 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Hey guys,

So the adjuster came out today and looked at the car. He said he would note how immaculate it was on the report but only offered me $3560.04 to have it repaired. He is only using used parts as well. He said I could go where I wanted so I called the Porsche Dealer and am using there approved shop and getting an estimate Friday (I emailed them his estimate). He acknowledged that he couldn't see everything, and knew there was some mechanical issues that would need to be attended to (safety inspection, lights on the dash now, drive line inspection, exhaust tips needing to be put back on, etc.). I can't imagine a top body shop only seeing this as 3500 (only 900 labor) am I wrong in that thinking? The mechanical stuff would be on top so I'm not sure how that works, there is nothing in his estimate for that as of yet (he said this was far from over as far as payment, that this was just the initial offer). He was a nice guy and said he will make sure the parts are perfect and so is the work or it won't go on the car, yada yada. Not sure what else to do except take it in and see. Someone had mentioned pulling it apart to get the full story, which the adjuster said he would do as well, but the issue is if they pull it apart and there is more damage but not enough to total it (which he is putting a higher value on then I think it is worth at this stage) he would cut another check. If I decide to walk after that he said I would owe the body shop for the tear down not them which seems like BS too, but since I've never been through this before not sure if that is the way it is suppose to be? Anyway any advice is much appreciated fellas.
Old 11-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Petza914
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cfiiman
Hey guys,

So the adjuster came out today and looked at the car. He said he would note how immaculate it was on the report but only offered me $3560.04 to have it repaired. He is only using used parts as well. He said I could go where I wanted so I called the Porsche Dealer and am using there approved shop and getting an estimate Friday (I emailed them his estimate). He acknowledged that he couldn't see everything, and knew there was some mechanical issues that would need to be attended to (safety inspection, lights on the dash now, drive line inspection, exhaust tips needing to be put back on, etc.). I can't imagine a top body shop only seeing this as 3500 (only 900 labor) am I wrong in that thinking? The mechanical stuff would be on top so I'm not sure how that works, there is nothing in his estimate for that as of yet (he said this was far from over as far as payment, that this was just the initial offer). He was a nice guy and said he will make sure the parts are perfect and so is the work or it won't go on the car, yada yada. Not sure what else to do except take it in and see. Someone had mentioned pulling it apart to get the full story, which the adjuster said he would do as well, but the issue is if they pull it apart and there is more damage but not enough to total it (which he is putting a higher value on then I think it is worth at this stage) he would cut another check. If I decide to walk after that he said I would owe the body shop for the tear down not them which seems like BS too, but since I've never been through this before not sure if that is the way it is suppose to be? Anyway any advice is much appreciated fellas.
I would think if you're willing to fix it based on what you know now that you should proceed. If the teardown reveals more serious damage, that would cause you to walk, that will also likely result in enough additional repair cost that they will want to total it - otherwise get it fixed. You'll probably be better off with a vehicle you know and have taken care if than a replacement they or you find for tge equivalent NADA value.

Don't forget about the rear bumper I have too as that might save you some $ and upgrade the look vs a different used part.

Good luck.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:05 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

That looks like way more than $3560.04 in damage, but hey go for it. If its repaired to your satisfaction keep it until the wheels fall off.
And yes the usual process is if concealed damage is discovered the shop notifies the adjuster for the OK to proceed.

I was T boned in a previous ride. Got hit on the right front fender, the adjuster would not cover front end alignment.
WTF?? Needless to say it was way out from the impact.

Be prepared for a battle if the shop discovers drive line issues. If that happens your spouse could develop severe medical after effects from the accident.

Last edited by v10rick; 11-22-2017 at 04:20 PM.
Old 11-22-2017, 04:40 PM
cfiiman
Instructor

Originally Posted by v10rick
That looks like way more than $3560.04 in damage, but hey go for it. If its repaired to your satisfaction keep it until the wheels fall off.
And yes the usual process is if concealed damage is discovered the shop notifies the adjuster for the OK to proceed.

I was T boned in a previous ride. Got hit on the right front fender, the adjuster would not cover front end alignment.
WTF?? Needless to say it was way out from the impact.

Be prepared for a battle if the shop discovers drive line issues. If that happens your spouse could develop severe medical after effects from the accident.
This is what I'm worried about but honestly I'm sick of dealing with this stuff. I don't care too much about used parts as long as they are nice as what is on it (near perfect) but when I asked why I couldn't get new parts he said "well then we would be making your car better than it was before and we don't want to do that" LOL. So they really could give 2 $hits about people going through this stuff if that is their position, no wonder lawyers make so much money Hilarious thing is he said the average time he spends with people is like 20 minutes tops, he was here almost 2 hours looking at my cars and motorcycles and he said he loves 911's so I let him check out the 911TT. If I would have known it wasn't helping me at all I'd have kicked his *** off my property lol.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Rear- Ended Tonight, Need Advice Dealing With Insurance, etc.