Notices
Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear hatch shock replacement - any tips or other things to do whilst I’m at it?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2017, 05:37 AM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts
Default Rear hatch shock replacement - any tips or other things to do whilst I’m at it?

Changing the shocks later today (if the rain stops). It has just started to sag and bash me on the head. Any tips (I’ll be following the pelican parts guide).
Anything else I should do/check/clean whilst I’m in there? (Also installing a rear view camera for my head unit whilst I’m at it).
Cheers
Old 11-14-2017, 09:23 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do the window struts as well, as the Pelican site recommends. Go slow on the panel removal. I did this last Saturday.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:50 AM
TomF
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 126 Posts

Anyone do this replacement on a power lift gate? I am making the assumption that you only replace the passenger side helper strut as the driver's side is a powered hydraulic unit.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
TomF
Old 11-15-2017, 05:52 PM
Stringbag
Pro

Received 77 Likes on 62 Posts

Just finished.
For anyone else doing this - just follow the pelican guide. It’s very good and quite easy. You will need a piece of 2x4 or a very patient helper to support the hatch and take your time with the trim or you’ll break it.
The foam piece that seals the roof is very sticky. Wear disposable gloves and you might need a new one if you aren’t careful. You will also need something to re seal it with once you are done.
The shocks themselves are a little tricky to get off, but very easy to put on.
Guide is here - the photos are way better than the ones I took.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
Old 11-20-2017, 02:49 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 383 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by Stringbag
Just finished.
For anyone else doing this - just follow the pelican guide. It’s very good and quite easy. You will need a piece of 2x4 or a very patient helper to support the hatch and take your time with the trim or you’ll break it.
The foam piece that seals the roof is very sticky. Wear disposable gloves and you might need a new one if you aren’t careful. You will also need something to re seal it with once you are done.
The shocks themselves are a little tricky to get off, but very easy to put on.
Guide is here - the photos are way better than the ones I took.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarti...eplacement.htm
I got a roll of windshield sealant rope and used about 12" of it. Have 24' left. Advance Auto said they'd take it back with that little used. Cool.
Old 11-26-2017, 08:31 PM
MtnDogGeoff
Advanced

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i got new foam in the ecs kit but didn't really need it, the gooey seal stuff was still in good shape so i was able to reuse it but the parts are cheap enough that i would want it on hand just incase you break one or the seal gets messed up

Quick Reply: Rear hatch shock replacement - any tips or other things to do whilst I’m at it?