Sponsored by:

Intro-I bought Cobalt's '04 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2017, 11:22 PM
dpatel710
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by porschefan931
Brake booster is more than likely a cracked hose, the most common place is the tube attaching to the one way check valve. If you remove the engine cover on the passenger side you'll see the vacuum hose and the check valve. I had the issue a while ago and put tape around the crack, it lasted for a short while so i bit the bullet and bought the complete hose. However i couldn't get one part of the hose to detach with out breaking another part of the system, so in the end i cut the cracked section out and slipped fuel hose over the section. Been working fine for 6 months and i returned the hose.
I tried the JB Weld method from Renntech and it has held up well. Had the darn brake booster light three different times before I tracked down all the culprits. The plastic formed hoses tend to split at the joints/connections as it looks like they are thinner in these areas. The common failure points are right by the brake booster (driver's side behind the firewall), at the back of the firewall on the passenger side, and under the electric brake booster vacuum pump (there are several here). Maybe an hour or so and a tube of JB Weld should get you all set.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:00 AM
kraeburn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dpatel710
I tried the JB Weld method from Renntech and it has held up well. Had the darn brake booster light three different times before I tracked down all the culprits. The plastic formed hoses tend to split at the joints/connections as it looks like they are thinner in these areas. The common failure points are right by the brake booster (driver's side behind the firewall), at the back of the firewall on the passenger side, and under the electric brake booster vacuum pump (there are several here). Maybe an hour or so and a tube of JB Weld should get you all set.
I need to get this fixed this week for my inspection. I used to have a way around this sort of thing but RI has made that more difficult recently so this fault would cause a failure.

Two questions:
I have looked quite a bit but is there a thread with pictures to show exactly what vacuum lines I need to be looking at?
Will the fault clear itself after I fix the vacuum leak or does the computer need to be reset?

On another note, I must have angered the German car gods somehow-stereo has been acting wonky and two bulbs burnt out all of a sudden. The stereo issue (no sound)was fixed by restarting the car so I'll just keep an eye on that. The bulbs burning out (signal bulbs) was just weird, bulbs burning out on a car this age makes sense but going from just having the booster fault to having multiple faults appearing was really disconcerting--it all happened at once.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:48 AM
kraeburn
Instructor

Disregard my two questions, found the answers over on renntech.
Old 12-04-2017, 12:30 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kraeburn
Disregard my two questions, found the answers over on renntech.
Link?

c
Old 12-04-2017, 12:42 PM
kraeburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by vandal968
Link?

c
https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...oubleshooting/

https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...ooster-faulty/
Old 12-04-2017, 03:45 PM
vandal968
Pro

Thank you for posting the links. Reading through them inspired me to take mine apart again and fix it once and for all. My fix details are documented here:

https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...is-back-2.html

Message #19.

cheers,
c
Old 12-05-2017, 04:44 PM
69gaugeman
Nordschleife Master

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

-The lock/unlock of the doors is one of the most annoying things I have ever dealt with. Why they designed the lock and unlock to utilize the same button is stupid. I have already been caught outside the car a couple times trying to get the doors unlocked looking like an idiot. I suppose I will get used to it.
Nope. You won't get used to it. Had an '04 Touareg before my '04 Turbo. The VW was miles ahead on software.
Old 12-05-2017, 07:11 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Agreed. It gets a little bit better in time, but you will always be amazed at how poor of an engineering decision it was to defy keyless entry fob design best practice of separate buttons! I love the CTT, but I can not give Porsche credit for waking up every morning and exclusively pissing excellence.
Old 12-06-2017, 09:35 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,169 Posts

It was one of my biggest peeves about the car the wiper blades were another but they improved over time. They interviewed me after I first purchased it and the first thing I commented on was the unlocking of the car. ( seemed to get a snicker when mentioned) They later got wise and fixed it. I found it easier to just unlock the drivers side and open the car then unlock the passenger side by using the button on the door. You would think they would have realized what a bad idea it was before they released it.
Old 12-06-2017, 11:59 AM
vandal968
Pro

Originally Posted by cobalt
It was one of my biggest peeves about the car the wiper blades were another but they improved over time. They interviewed me after I first purchased it and the first thing I commented on was the unlocking of the car. ( seemed to get a snicker when mentioned) They later got wise and fixed it. I found it easier to just unlock the drivers side and open the car then unlock the passenger side by using the button on the door. You would think they would have realized what a bad idea it was before they released it.
You can change the behavior of the locks from the dashboard menu. Three choices:

1. Unlock driver's door only
2. Unlock both doors on driver's side
3. Unlock all.

Before I found this, my family members were always tugging on all the door handles and complaining that they needed to get into the car while I scrambled for the button before they broke something (my 968 has a broken door handle). Mode 3 makes it much less annoying, but yes, other manufacturers have handled this far better.

cheers,
c

Last edited by vandal968; 12-06-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 12-06-2017, 02:00 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by vandal968
You can change the behavior of the locks from the dashboard menu. Three choices:

1. Unlock driver's door only
2. Unlock both doors on driver's side
3. Unlock all.

Before I found this, my family members were always tugging on all the door handles and complaining that they needed to get into the car while I scrambled for the button before they broke something (my 968 has a broken door handle). Mode 3 makes it much less annoying, but yes, other manufacturer's have handled this far better.

cheers,
c
Yea I did this (option 3 "unlock all") pretty quickly after the girlfriend got tired of waiting for me to try unlocking all the doors again and again. Works great the first time every time now! Option 1 "Unlock driver's door only" was useless.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:55 AM
kraeburn
Instructor

Originally Posted by VulcanGrey
Yea I did this (option 3 "unlock all") pretty quickly after the girlfriend got tired of waiting for me to try unlocking all the doors again and again. Works great the first time every time now! Option 1 "Unlock driver's door only" was useless.
LOL, I did that the first day.
Old 12-08-2017, 11:09 AM
kraeburn
Instructor

My passenger's side front turn signal has burnt out three times this week, any idea of cause? I'm assuming I must have disturbed something when I swapped out the other bulbs. Searching yielded some chatter about signals not working but this is different because once I swap the bulb it works again for a short while.

Also, I took a close look at the vacuum lines associated with the brake booster--no cracked lines, at least visually without removing a lot of stuff. I sprayed the hoses in the problem areas with soapy water, nothing. I also turned the car on and depressed the brake pedal with a pole and listened, no hissing. The vacuum pump runs intermittently. When I clear the code, it comes back within a few minutes of driving, but sometimes immediately (my logic here leads me to believe this is related to a leak). Are there any relays or sensors related to this that I should check? I was really hoping I would see an obvious cracked line which would have made this fix a slam dunk. I can have my shop look at it but I'm afraid this will be a long rabbit hole of diagnosis.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:08 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

@kraeburn
I'd clean the electrical contacts behind the headlight and smother them with silicone di-electric grease to prevent current leakage between pins. I'd also use the di-electric grease on the base of the bulb.

other than that I'd look at how they're mounted, vibration could damage the bulb. There's a TSB on preventing the headlight assembly from bouncing https://rennlist.com/forums/porsche-...ml#post3302881
Also some bulbs burn out faster than others. The Sylvania Silverstars, for instance, didn't last 2 weeks in one of my cars.
Old 12-08-2017, 12:51 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

My passenger's side front turn signal has burnt out three times this week, any idea of cause? I'm assuming I must have disturbed something when I swapped out the other bulbs. Searching yielded some chatter about signals not working but this is different because once I swap the bulb it works again for a short while.

Also, I took a close look at the vacuum lines associated with the brake booster--no cracked lines, at least visually without removing a lot of stuff. I sprayed the hoses in the problem areas with soapy water, nothing. I also turned the car on and depressed the brake pedal with a pole and listened, no hissing. The vacuum pump runs intermittently. When I clear the code, it comes back within a few minutes of driving, but sometimes immediately (my logic here leads me to believe this is related to a leak). Are there any relays or sensors related to this that I should check? I was really hoping I would see an obvious cracked line which would have made this fix a slam dunk. I can have my shop look at it but I'm afraid this will be a long rabbit hole of diagnosis.
Bulb issue
In addition to what as already posted, examine the insulation of the wires to the headlights both inside the housing and the external harness. The insulation deteriorates which obviously can cause some weird problems when things get jiggled around underway.

Brake Booster
I had a tricky problem like that as well. Replaced all lines and tested the booster itself. It turned out to be the brake booster vacuum pump itself which was working, but not creating enough vacuum with age. The brakes never had any signs of a problem, I just don't like warning lights. The car would intermittently throw the error and it got more frequent as the pump ran worse and worse. I have posted a part number for the identical Audi part in the past which is a fraction of what Porsche proudly marks up for their ingenious work in re-labeling/re-numbering stock VAG parts.

Quick Reply: Intro-I bought Cobalt's '04 Turbo