Sponsored by:

Cayenne Recall 2003-06

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 03:24 PM
Kirill
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by vandal968
Seriously guys, a watched pot never boils, it's going to be around Christmas probably.
Problem is - it was supposed to be around Christmas 2017
Old 01-17-2018, 03:29 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

I am just curious to see what the difference will be with the actual replacement parts. Can the first person who gets it done take some pics for the rest, please?
Old 02-27-2018, 03:53 PM
racer_65
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just spoke to the dealer as well as the PCNA Customer Commitment Department mentioned in the letter. Basically, current status is:
  1. No part is available
  2. We don't have a parts list
  3. We don't have any procedure to address this recall
  4. We have no ETA, but we're working on it
WTF? That's called customer commitment? My recall letter was dated Nov 14th 2017, and still nothing available 3 months later. Meanwhile should we keep driving our car with the risk of it catching on fire? I called the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration hotline (1-888-327-4236) to file a complaint. I suggest you do the same.
Old 02-27-2018, 03:58 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My left fuel pump failed a few weeks ago, so I replaced both pumps, the pressure regulator and the fuel filter all at the same time. The fuel filter was full of black goo... The fuel tanks and fuel looked pristine on my 2004 Turbo with 126k miles. No sediment or particles.
Old 02-27-2018, 05:34 PM
racer_65
Racer

If the recall were ready that should have covered at least part of the labor.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:07 PM
Matt O.
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 79 Likes on 35 Posts

I have contacted my dealer (Leith in Raleigh) and they said the same thing — no parts, not written fix...not taking appointments until fuel smell is obvious.

UNSAT PORSCHE. This is a half-hearted, amateurish attempt at a recall. Just to confirm... we wait until a highly flammable substance is leaking out of the car before we fix your KNOWN issue with the seal?

For the record, this exact leak occurred on my 2006 S, and I repaired it myself, while doing both the pump and filter/regulator. It was messy and I certainly inhaled some gasoline fumes— but if you do it in an open air area it’s not too bad. I am highly unimpressed with Porsche on this given the fact that I did it myself, never having done it before, in just a couple of hours. While several months later they are still trying to figure out how to handle it? I call BS.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:29 PM
racer_65
Racer

Yup. I've had it with their history of BS. First the coolant pipe leak they refused to address / pay for until a class action lawsuit required them to do so. Then the Cardan shaft failures clearly caused by a design flaw, which they never recalled. Now we have this potentially dangerous fuel leak and they have no solution 3 months later? When I called NHTSA, their initial response was that their record indicate the recall is available, and that their record is almost never wrong. I told them they are wrong this time, and it is easily verifiable by calling 1-800-PORSCHE. I think Porsche must have done something to navigate around NHTSA, and I'm calling them out on this BS. I purchased my Porsche new, and I will never buy another Porsche again.
Old 03-04-2018, 10:19 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by racer_65
Yup. I've had it with their history of BS. First the coolant pipe leak they refused to address / pay for until a class action lawsuit required them to do so. Then the Cardan shaft failures clearly caused by a design flaw, which they never recalled. Now we have this potentially dangerous fuel leak and they have no solution 3 months later? When I called NHTSA, their initial response was that their record indicate the recall is available, and that their record is almost never wrong. I told them they are wrong this time, and it is easily verifiable by calling 1-800-PORSCHE. I think Porsche must have done something to navigate around NHTSA, and I'm calling them out on this BS. I purchased my Porsche new, and I will never buy another Porsche again.
Don't forget the scored cylinders issue that affects all Cayenne V8 engines! I checked in with my dealer again and same story as the rest of you guys. No parts, they know nothing, they are not taking any appointments for this, and they seemed quite annoyed that they even had to talk to me about it to tell me that much! It is a pretty much a fake recall campaign if you ask me. I have never seen such a thing after many years of being an avid auto enthusiast.

I guess when the first house burns down and there is loss of life perhaps that will create enough pressure for them to think about getting the potential fuel leaks resolved for everyone. Luckily I have not experienced it yet, but it gets annoying checking regularly and periodically sniffing at the car to make sure. I have a natural gas water heater in my attached garage with a pilot light, so if I do smell any gas fumes I will be sure to leave it outside until it is fixed!
Old 03-04-2018, 06:18 PM
deons
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My dealer fought for almost 18 months to fix an emissions error. Their diagnostics indicated a gas leak of some sorts. They had to use a smoke system to try and track the leak. Did that three times at my cost. (replaced fuel filters at my cost too) Eventually was told that they did a software update that fixed the problem (No refund). I am pretty sure this recall is related. (Wonder whether they turned the warning tolerances off via software. Just a thought guys.} I am sure this is related to the recall.

Last edited by deons; 03-04-2018 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Additional info.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:52 AM
racer_65
Racer

they seemed quite annoyed that they even had to talk to me about it to tell me that much! It is a pretty much a fake recall campaign if you ask me.
When I called 1-800-PORSCHE, it was like talking to someone from the DMV. Unbelievable.
Old 03-05-2018, 12:28 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to make excuses for them, but the thing I read initially made it sound like they were planning on designing a new part, then making molds, then getting it into production, etc. Those things take time, I'm sticking to my prediction above, I expect this to be done around Xmas of 2018 (or Kwanza, Chunaka,whatever your preference). A couple of times when I asked about it at the dealership, they mentioned that they are still slowly working their way through the aluminum cam bolt recall. They'll get there eventually.

It took almost two years for my Takata airbag recall on my Infiniti and they told me not to use the car until it was done (FOR ALMOST TWO YEARS!!!!) At least Porsche says that we can still drive our Molotov Cayennes.

cheers,
c
Old 03-29-2018, 07:47 PM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

Anybody got any useful updates on this?
Old 03-29-2018, 08:23 PM
Aislinns_Daddy
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Porsche_Turbo
You can look up all open recalls associated with the vin here:

https://vinrcl.safercar.gov/vin/vinLookup

Looks like my 04 CTT is not one of the 50,145.
Looks like my V6 Base is affected, have sent an email to my local Dealer to ask the same Question, to see how honest they are.
Old 03-29-2018, 08:35 PM
Aislinns_Daddy
Intermediate

Just had a call from Porsche, my car is affected - but they haven't been sent any parts by Porsche for the replacement.

Has anyone had this done already under the recall?
Old 03-29-2018, 08:46 PM
Aislinns_Daddy
Intermediate

Reminds me of the Ford Mustang Driver Airbag Issue - a Recall was issued, 3 years ago, the problem is that the Airbag in the steering wheel hub has a metal mesh over it and this mesh has become brittle, making the airbag into a claymore anti personnel mine... and when I sold my mustang last year, it still wasn't fixed.

We could all follow these steps and make life harder for Porsche....
If the manufacturer has failed or is unable to remedy this safety recall for your vehicle in a timely manner, please contact the NHTSA Vehicle Safety Hotline at: 1-888-327-4236 or TTY: 1-800-424-9153 or file an online complaint with NHTSA.

Quick Reply: Cayenne Recall 2003-06