Cayenne 955-957 2003-2010 1st Generation
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cayenne Recall 2003-06

Old 10-09-2017, 02:22 PM
vandal968
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, is this something that you guys would do immediately, or would you put it off until you're due for a fuel filter anyway? Also, how do you know when you're due? Does the car give a fuel pressure warning, or are you replacing by intervals, or?
Old 10-09-2017, 08:14 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Vandal (odd username..)

Yes - the smell might be a clue this is happening.

AFAIK - there is no change interval for the fuel filter. It's when it starts clogging up which will be indicated by bad running. If you only get good quality gasoline with no contaminants in it - they can last about forever.
Old 10-10-2017, 05:06 PM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by vandal968
Yesterday, walking past it in the garage I got a faint wiff of fuel while walking past the rear driver's side door. Sniffing around, I didn't detect it again. There is no smell in the car. Could this be related to this recall, or something else?
Definitely related to the recall. The fuel smell is weak and intermittent at first, and then becomes overwhelming as the leak progresses. It will always smell more of fuel on the outside than on the inside (at least mine did).
Old 10-10-2017, 05:55 PM
vandal968
Pro

I was just poking around under the car to try to get a view of the cardan shaft and the gas smell is much more pronounced underneath. I called my local dealership (Porsche of Chandler) and Carlos in service said "parts are not here for the recall yet, will probably be a couple of months, just wait for your letter." I bought the car used, private party, so I don't know if I'm going to get a letter or not. Does anyone know if NHTSA cross-references against DMV records for this kind of thing? I still get recall notices for a vehicle that I got rid of 6 years ago, so I suspect not. I asked if I could be wait-listed (no), can I give my VIN so that I'm in the system? (no). Useless....
Old 10-10-2017, 06:41 PM
deilenberger
Banned

Received 1,140 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by vandal968
I was just poking around under the car to try to get a view of the cardan shaft and the gas smell is much more pronounced underneath. I called my local dealership (Porsche of Chandler) and Carlos in service said "parts are not here for the recall yet, will probably be a couple of months, just wait for your letter." I bought the car used, private party, so I don't know if I'm going to get a letter or not. Does anyone know if NHTSA cross-references against DMV records for this kind of thing? I still get recall notices for a vehicle that I got rid of 6 years ago, so I suspect not. I asked if I could be wait-listed (no), can I give my VIN so that I'm in the system? (no). Useless....
Look in the owners manual binder - there is a form there to tell Porsche that ownership has changed. You can also probably do it by calling Porsche Cars North America.

They do not have a genie on staff who knows when someone bought a used car.. so it's up to the owner to make them aware of a change in ownership. And I can absolutely guarantee that NHTSA does not have any process to cross-reference state based DMV records with their recall notices.
Old 10-10-2017, 09:04 PM
vandal968
Pro

Default Found

deilenberger,
I found a couple of prepaid "change of owner" cards in the back of the maintenance book like you said. Thanks for the assist, you're more helpful than the service guy at my local dealership.

cheers,
c
Old 10-11-2017, 09:25 AM
Hal 2000
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a postcard called a "Product Improvement Campaign"
Dealer says no parts in yet.
Old 10-11-2017, 01:14 PM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 55 Posts

Mine is listed in the lookup as well. I called the dealer and they said to call back when I get a second notification from PCNA that the parts are in... has anyone else been delivered this line?
Old 10-16-2017, 06:58 PM
jeff spahn
Rennlist Member

Received 382 Likes on 220 Posts

I have my service scheduled and was just told Saturday while at the dealership that they don't even have an allocation of parts.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:53 PM
hahnmgh63
Three Wheelin'

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default New Fuel filter for the recall

It's gonna be delayed as it's a whole new fuel filter design so it has to be put into production (most likely in Europe), then distributed out to dealers in sufficient quantities.
Old 10-20-2017, 07:43 PM
VulcanGrey
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I just bought a 2004 CTT.
Called the local Dealer here and they scheduled me for the recall on the 30th of OCT.
Old 11-03-2017, 10:50 AM
spooltime
Rennlist Member

Received 63 Likes on 40 Posts

I checked with my dealership yesterday and was told they still do not have parts yet to perform the recall. I was also told to check back in about a month. Which I will.

I also inquired about potential reimbursement for the monies already spent to repair this issue about a year ago. I was told to call Porsche NA, so I did. The rep didn't really know much other than to tell me that if they decide to provide a reimbursement for prior related repairs, I should have my repair invoice available. Very insightful.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:10 PM
Dilberto
Drifting

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by deilenberger
Vandal (odd username..)

Yes - the smell might be a clue this is happening.

AFAIK - there is no change interval for the fuel filter. It's when it starts clogging up which will be indicated by bad running. If you only get good quality gasoline with no contaminants in it - they can last about forever.
A good, PEA-based fuel system cleaner added regularly, will also dissolve most contaminant solids on the fuel filter. The flange dome cracks, due to excessive pressure exerted by a severely clogged fuel filter. Polyetheramide(PEA) will keep that filter flowing smoothly.
Old 11-03-2017, 05:15 PM
ProgRockJunkie
Rennlist Member

Received 370 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by Dilberto
A good, PEA-based fuel system cleaner added regularly, will also dissolve most contaminant solids on the fuel filter. The flange dome cracks, due to excessive pressure exerted by a severely clogged fuel filter. Polyetheramide(PEA) will keep that filter flowing smoothly.
Which one would you recommend? Price seems to vary greatly. How much to add how regularly?
Old 11-03-2017, 08:12 PM
docwyte
Rennlist Member

Received 485 Likes on 323 Posts

My dealer told me they wouldn't have these parts for at least 2 months.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cayenne Recall 2003-06