Sponsored by:

Chassis system warning

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Ex968racer
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Chassis system warning

I received what appeared to be a random chassis system warning a couple of days ago. After I restarted my 08 GTS, the warning was gone. When I got home I raised it to the highest level to see if I could duplicate the warning but it functioned as normal only taking about 5 seconds between levels. I parked it a couple of days and attempted to lower it back to the lower level but only the passenger side only dropped so I parked it. When I returned a couple of hours later the car appeared to return to level and I started it and showed no warnings until I hit the sport button to level. It seemed to take 10 plus seconds to attempt to drop before the warning appeared. I don't have a Durametric so I cannot read any faults. Any suggestions on where to start on fixing this issue?
Old 09-20-2017, 08:48 AM
Ex968racer
Instructor

One more thing, it will raise normally only taking 5 seconds to get to the next higher level. Attempting to lower the suspension takes a while and will trigger the Chassis warning.
Old 09-20-2017, 01:15 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Provided that the air compressor cycles on and off as it fills the reservoir, there are a few possibilities here:

1) System needs to be re-calibrated using a PIWIS or similar coding unit (ICarScan, Durametric)
2) Faulty pressure holding valves in affected areas
3) Faulty level sensors in affected areas

My '09 GTS looked like a feline in heat with its ***-end pointing towards the sky. Had similar symptoms that you described with Chassis Warning message appearing on the screen. Replaced the two rear pressure holding valves and the problem was gone. Luckily the system parameters on the level control were saved and the system did not need re-calibration.
Old 09-20-2017, 03:01 PM
Ex968racer
Instructor

Thanks Andy. I purchased a rear valve and removal tool as this is cheap enough to try. I figure since the rear appears to be sitting a little higher and that when I tried to lower, the passenger side was the side to drop that it makes sense that the drivers side rear was the one that is bad. I should have the parts next week and will report back.

Ordered removal tool T10158/1

And holding valve 95535873002
Old 09-26-2017, 01:46 PM
Ex968racer
Instructor

Update. I replaced the valve last night. It took about 15 minutes to actually replace but 30 plus minutes jacking it up and placing jack stands. Access to this is somewhat tight but no too bad. Once I lowered the pig, the corner that I replaced sat all the way down with the rest of the air bags on terrain mode. I started it and tried several times to lower the suspension but it would just revert back to terrain and the corner was still down. Frustrated, I took it for a ride around a cul de sac taking a left turn to load the right side of the suspension. It felt more level at this point so I tired again to lower. At last she came down. I raised it and lowered it again. All is well and level.
Old 09-26-2017, 03:22 PM
Andy E.
The V8 Porschephile
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ex968racer
Update. I replaced the valve last night. It took about 15 minutes to actually replace but 30 plus minutes jacking it up and placing jack stands. Access to this is somewhat tight but no too bad. Once I lowered the pig, the corner that I replaced sat all the way down with the rest of the air bags on terrain mode. I started it and tried several times to lower the suspension but it would just revert back to terrain and the corner was still down. Frustrated, I took it for a ride around a cul de sac taking a left turn to load the right side of the suspension. It felt more level at this point so I tired again to lower. At last she came down. I raised it and lowered it again. All is well and level.
Glad to see that everything worked out. I do however have a question for you?

How in God's green earth did you manage to do this without a lift? The location of the valves are all the way up at the top of the air shock and clearance is already very limited. Maybe you should join Cirque du Soleil?
Old 09-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Ex968racer
Instructor

I have long slim arms but would almost prefer to do this on my back. I was able to get both my hands up there to pull off the 12mm nut and split ring. It wasn’t bad at all. I only needed to break the 12mm nut and valve loose with wrench and special socket and could spin the remainder out with my fingers.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:10 AM
DAS_V8
Track Day

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Did both rear valves this weekend, also with jack/jack stands on my back (used a creeper). It wasn't terrible and thankfully the valves came out in 1 piece, I used the VW valve socket tool. My total time start-to-finish was 2 hours. That included running through up/down levels and then checking height values with durametric. For the 12mm compression nut, I could not use a brake line wrench as it was too long and wouldn't fit in the area around the air spring, I had to use a short open ended wrench. Also, it helps to pull the line out of the 2 metal retaining chassis clips to install the new compression nut, the line snaps back into place nicely.
Old 04-23-2018, 10:46 AM
Avec
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I replaced my right rear valve, but I dropped the strut / bag assembly. Even that only took about 30 minutes, and made it much, much easier than contortion.

Quick Reply: Chassis system warning