Sponsored by:

Rear Control Arm Removal

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 10:45 AM
mtotten
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Control Arm Removal

I have an '06 TTS and I was recently informed by my alignment shop that the rear suspension eccentric bolts were frozen and they were unable to proceed with the alignment. I was able to replace the toe link eccentrics without trouble but the lower control arm bolts weren't so simple. In the process of extracting the rear lower control arm bolt, I damaged the bushing. At this point the control arm needs to be removed.

I am having trouble accessing the forward connection point of the rear control arm as it is buried in the sub frame. I can get a 21mm wrench on the nut but I'm unable to make any turns due to a lack of space.

Pelican Parts has a DIY for the R&R of the rear control arm but they are rather vague on how to remove this bolt. I have also posted a question in their comments section for further explanation.

If anyone has removed the rear control arm or have any insight on how it is done could you please respond to this post. I rather stuck at this point and I'm grateful for any help.
Old 09-17-2017, 09:34 PM
mtotten
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

I wanted to provide an update on how I was eventually able to remove the forward connection bolt. After some trial and error and a lot of leverage, I was able to hold the nut side with the 21mm wrench and a 3' breaker bar with a 3-4' cheater bar on the bolt side. I had a deep well 21mm impact socket on the head of the bolt with a 4" extension. The breaker bar went up through the center cutout in the control arm. A hard pop of the breaker/cheater bar right off the bat was enough to break the bolt loose.

I haven't installed the new control arm yet but it looks like the bolt will have to be torqued from the head side. I don't see an avenue for getting a torque wrench near the nut.

This Cayenne spent the first half of its life in Chicago and I believe the corrosion is what made this so difficult. Oddly though, the rear subframe and its components is the only part of the vehicle showing signs of excessive corrosion.
Old 09-18-2017, 11:52 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by mtotten
I haven't installed the new control arm yet but it looks like the bolt will have to be torqued from the head side. I don't see an avenue for getting a torque wrench near the nut.
From what I could see in some 11-14 service manual docs there isn't anything special mentioned for R&R.

This picture, however, makes it look like the head is somewhat inaccessible. Is this the one that's giving you trouble?
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Rear Control Arm Removal