Sponsored by:

Rear camera and trunk questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2017, 12:32 AM
rihajo
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear camera and trunk questions

Hello everyone. First timer here. I have a 2016 cayenne.

Recently purchased a hitch-mounted bike rack. I want to disable the automatic opening feature for the trunk, so that I don't have to worry about banging it into the bikes or the rack.

I also was wondering if it is possible to configure the PCM to always keep the rear camera on.

Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks!

Ricky
Old 09-16-2017, 10:05 AM
wkearney99
Rennlist Member

Received 153 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by rihajo
Hello everyone. First timer here. I have a 2016 cayenne.

Recently purchased a hitch-mounted bike rack. I want to disable the automatic opening feature for the trunk, so that I don't have to worry about banging it into the bikes or the rack.

I also was wondering if it is possible to configure the PCM to always keep the rear camera on.
In my '17 you can configured the diamond button on the steering wheel to trigger the camera view. In what situations do you see wanting this instead of just letting it switch when in reverse? (not saying it isn't a reasonable request, just curious).

What 'automatic opening feature'? It only opens when you press the buttons. I take it you mean avoiding accidentally opening it with the button on the key? There's no in-vehicle option to disabling that. I don't know if it's possible for the dealer to cripple it. I do know that in some markets (other then the US) the system is capable of also closing the liftgate with the remote. But, again, that's a dealer-programmed feature, not something buried in a menu somewhere.

I've debated looking into doing something to the remote itself to increase the amount of force necessary to trigger the liftgate. With other kinds of buttons on other devices I've used things like stiffer springs or rubber o-rings to make it harder to accidentally press it. I never got around to dismantling that part of the key to figure out it was possible. I've since learned to avoid pressing that button, sort of putting aside my fear.

Also know that if you press the remote button again it stops the liftgate. As least it does on my '17. So if you manage to accidentally hit it, and notice right away, a tap of the button again will stop it's motion.

The liftgate will also stop itself if it hits something. Might a strategically placed bit of foam or something help avoid problems?
Old 09-17-2017, 01:45 AM
rihajo
3rd Gear

I'll have to look into that diamond button. Thanks for the tip. A lot of times I think this just helps with all-around visibility while driving. I noticed that recently when I test drove a model X. The way that you configure it, does the camera always stay on after you push the diamond button, or only for a brief period?

I realized a solution to the trunk problem. If you hold down the trunk button at the desired trunk position for 3 seconds or so, it only ever opens that far. So I'll just set it really low.

-R
Old 09-17-2017, 02:07 AM
rihajo
3rd Gear

The diamond button (multifunction button) does not have the rear camera option that I can find in my settings. Maybe that's a 17 versus 16 thing?

Also, are there PCM updates that I can download that might enable that feature?

The solution I thought I had doesn't work. It doesn't let me program the trunk position to be barely open. The lowest it lets me program it is about 90 degrees open. Back to the drawing board on that one.

Quick Reply: Rear camera and trunk questions