Questions from a future 957 owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 11:22 AM
MR Turco
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 28 Posts
Default Questions from a future 957 owner

Hi all,

I'm in search for a 957 GTS. I am planning to use it to tow my vette to track events at least 3-4 times a year. I find many don't have the tow package. I have found some threads on adding to a 955 but 957 info is sparse.

Questions:
  • Are there how-tos on adding the hitch and any wiring?
  • I read the 957 is NOT pre-wired for a brake controller - is that true?
  • Any issues towing with the air suspension? Appears no but couldn't find anything conclusive.
  • Any other info worthy of reading up on?

Thanks in advance for all your help
Old 09-15-2017, 01:52 PM
Wisconsin Joe
Nordschleife Master

Received 302 Likes on 231 Posts

Not a whole lot of difference between a 955 & 957.

You are better off getting one with the factory hitch. Are you excluding Turbos for a specific reason? Lots of those have tow package.

If it didn't have the tow package, the tow wiring isn't there. Each car was wired for the options it came with. At least, this is my understanding. I could be wrong.

Air suspension is actually better for towing. Self leveling feature keeps the car level (duh). Rides and handles better that way.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:02 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

I've read mixed things, but am told the wiring is there. Hoping to debunk that.

Avoiding the turbo mostly due to cost. If i were to come across one i wouldn't rule it out.

I figured on the air suspension but was hoping to get confirmation. Thanks!!

Originally Posted by Wisconsin Joe
Not a whole lot of difference between a 955 & 957.

You are better off getting one with the factory hitch. Are you excluding Turbos for a specific reason? Lots of those have tow package.

If it didn't have the tow package, the tow wiring isn't there. Each car was wired for the options it came with. At least, this is my understanding. I could be wrong.

Air suspension is actually better for towing. Self leveling feature keeps the car level (duh). Rides and handles better that way.
Old 09-20-2017, 11:48 AM
MR Turco
Instructor

Bump - any other inputs?
Old 09-20-2017, 02:16 PM
BlackTurboS
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are there how-tos on adding the hitch and any wiring?
Probably not. In your case, I would get a Cayenne with the optional equipment code 1D6 which will have the hookups you need (you can check this from the original MSRP sticker of the vehicle or look it up by VIN online).
I read the 957 is NOT pre-wired for a brake controller - is that true?
Not true. Any 957 with optional equipment 1D6 will include the trailer hitch receiver and wiring up to the receiver hitch that includes a control unit to operate the trailer parking lights, turn signals and brake lights and BRAKE CONTROLLER WIRING(per suncoast hitch parts). Again, if it has the factory 1D6 equipment it is wired for a brake controller. Just plug the brake controller/adapter in.
Any issues towing with the air suspension? Appears no but couldn't find anything conclusive.
Agreed with prior comment. Towing with air suspension is better due to auto-leveling feature.
Any other info worthy of reading up on?
I would check out Suncoast Porsche parts website and lookup the model/year you are looking at and see what your cost would be for a hitch kit with wiring/brake controller if needed.

Best of luck!
Old 09-20-2017, 02:35 PM
MR Turco
Instructor

@blackturbos Great Stuff! thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Questions from a future 957 owner