Speaker whine

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2017, 07:20 AM
DannyHoffman
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Speaker whine

Hi,

I have finally got back into Porsche ownership after selling my 911SC 12 years ago. My new car is very different, a 2006 Cayenne Turbo.

It has one minor issue which I would appreciate some help with. The offside rear passenger door speakers make a quiet whining noise when the car is awake and this increases in volume and pitch when the engine is started and revs increase. This still happens when the radio is turned off. Sometimes the speakers make a loud click. The radio does play through the problem speakers

My car has a BOSE subwoofer in the rear wheel well, and like 3 of the 4 Cayennes I looked at there was some water in the foam padding under the boot floor. The amp attached to the subwoofer has slight rust stains, but it still works ok.

Looking at the wiring schematics the amplifier above the Sat Nav DVD connects directly to the speakers in the door.

I tried connecting a different speaker, but still have the same problem.

Apart from a faulty amplifier is there any other possible cause?

Thanks

Danny
Old 09-15-2017, 02:38 AM
dhc905
Banned

Received 42 Likes on 33 Posts

I have a similar issue with a front speaker. It comes on and off, typically when I go over a speed bump. I think it's a loose cable, but others with more experience can chime in.
Old 09-15-2017, 03:33 AM
AGARubberDuck
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts

In my experience, whiny speakers in a vehicle when the engine is off is due to a faulty amp. While it's possible the whine signal is being fed upstream in the system, it's pretty unlikely since it happens with the head unit off.
The whine can be from a leaky (electronically-speaking) capacitor or a transistor chip with leaky gates. It can be fixed or replaced, but personally I'd take the opportunity(excuse) to upgrade the audio.
Old 09-15-2017, 02:43 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

The amp power leads are always hot, which explains the speaker whine when the radio is off.

Find the input to the amp and disconnect that. If the noise remains the amp is at fault.
Old 09-15-2017, 04:34 PM
DannyHoffman
Intermediate

Last edited by DannyHoffman; 09-16-2017 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Double posted
Old 09-16-2017, 07:33 AM
DannyHoffman
Intermediate

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

It is apparent I need to get access to the amplifier and from what I have read on line removing the side trim panel is a bit of a big job.

I did see someone say they managed to remove their amplifier by removing a couple of nuts (or bolts) and tilting it enough to remove the cables and slide it out.

I would like to try this, has anyone got any photos of the amplifier and mounting bracket so I have some idea what I am trying to undo?

Thanks again

Danny
Old 09-16-2017, 03:13 PM
v10rick
Rennlist Member

Received 90 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by DannyHoffman
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

It is apparent I need to get access to the amplifier and from what I have read on line removing the side trim panel is a bit of a big job.

I did see someone say they managed to remove their amplifier by removing a couple of nuts (or bolts) and tilting it enough to remove the cables and slide it out.

I would like to try this, has anyone got any photos of the amplifier and mounting bracket so I have some idea what I am trying to undo?

Thanks again

Danny
I don't see how that is possible.

Take a look, 2003 thru 2006 should use the same mount.

Old 09-23-2017, 10:59 AM
DannyHoffman
Intermediate

Progress, but not exactly in the right direction.

I had to change the struts that hold the rear hatch up so in doing so had removed enough trim to pull the amplifier.

No signs of water damage, no swollen capacitors so I reconnected the largest connector only to see if I still got the whine, which I did. This seems to confirm my amp is bad.

Then I reconnected the fibre, and the radio could be heard.

Then I connected the smallest connect and there was silence.

The following warning came up

System error: amplifier, cd changer, navigation system not available.

I have checked the fuses to the amp and the radio at the right hand side of the dash. The satnav dvd and audio cd changer both have power.

I'm 99% sure that the fibre connector in the amp showed a red light on one side when it was working (as does the fibre connector) but it doesn't anymore.

Is there another fuse somewhere I could have blown (I have checked inside the amp and there is nothing obvious)

Or has my failing amp just died completely (bit of a coincidence), have I zapped it (I was careful to check everything appeared to have shut down before touching any connectors), or could something else cause the amp not to power up?

Any input appreciated before I invest in a new amp?

bit of a coinced
Old 09-24-2017, 04:39 AM
DannyHoffman
Intermediate

Progress, but not really in the right direction.

I had to change my tailgate support struts so ended up stripping off most of the trim needed to access the amp.

There was no sign of water damage in the amp, and none of the capacitors had swollen up. So I reconnected the largest connector and was still getting the whine out of the OSR door speakers.

I then reconnected the fibre and could now still hear the radio.

Then I connected the smallest connector and there was silence. I also got the message on the PCM

System error: amplifier, cd changer, satellite navigation not available.

I checked all the fuses on the right hand side of the dash, the sat nav DVD still has power and so does the CD changer. However I don't see any red light when I look into the fibre socket of the amplifier, I am 99% sure that I did before there was silence. There is power to the amp

Has my failing amp finally died? Did I zap something (I was careful to let the car sleep before unplugging things)? Have I damaged my fibre (I can still see a red light looking into the fibre cable connector)?

Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2017, 04:10 AM
DannyHoffman
Intermediate

I had to change my tailgate support struts so ended up stripping off most of the trim needed to access the amp.

There was no sign of water damage in the amp, and none of the capacitors had swollen up. So I reconnected the largest connector and was still getting the whine out of the OSR door speakers.

I then reconnected the fibre and could still hear the radio.

Then I connected the smallest connector and there was silence. I also got the message on the PCM

I checked all the fuses on the right hand side of the dash, the sat nav DVD still has power and so does the CD changer. However I don't see any red light when I look into the fibre socket of the amplifier, I am 99% sure that I did before there was silence. There is power to the amp

Has my failing amp finally died? Did I zap something (I was careful to let the car sleep before unplugging things)? Have I damaged my fibre (I can still see a red light looking into the fibre cable connector)?

Any suggestions?
Old 09-26-2017, 06:08 AM
DannyHoffman
Intermediate

I then reconnected the fibre and could still hear the radio.
Any suggestions?
Old 09-27-2017, 12:42 PM
DannyHoffman
Intermediate

Update - a second hand amplifier off fleebay fixed it

Quick Reply: Speaker whine