Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bigger Tires On a 955 TTC

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2017 | 09:43 PM
Tank_Nine_Eleven
Cruisin'

Originally Posted by Zakowsky
I'll take some better pictures later but here is a quick shot where you can see the spacer effect. I think with the way the fenders are designed the 12 mm at the back brings it out almost the same amount as the front, compared to the body work. I'd prefer both to be out more but for complete clearance the front has to be tucked in like this I found. Ride height is at the normal setting, but all settings work fine.

That looks great! I've been contemplating spacers for mine and it looks 12mm is the way to go. Great work!
Old 12-13-2017 | 02:59 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

Just wanted to post a follow up so people searching wouldn't get the wrong idea about the gas mileage comments I made. When I picked the wheels up (I just brought in the rims, not the car) I assumed they had filled them to a reasonable air pressure. A few days after testing them out I checked what they set them to and it was only 32 psi. Great traction but crappy mileage. Increased the pressure to 42 front and 48 rear (for a loaded highway trip) and a big increase in mileage, pretty much back to what it was after factoring in the change in diameter and all that. So not as dismal as I reported. Still haven't had a chance to put them to work yet, but they certainly are smooth and quiet. Can't corner anything like the 285/35R22's but didn't expect them to. Here are a few shots where you can see them in the wheel wells at the highest and lowest setting.

Old 08-07-2018 | 03:29 PM
mspa
Intermediate

Very inspirational posts and pics here ... I'm a few days new into my 2004 CTT and already excited about the possibilities

Part of what made my deal great was two sets of SportTechno rim/tires.

Summer:
22-inch Cayenne SportTechno
Nitto NT420S 285/35R22 (M+S)

Winter:
20-inch Cayenne SportTechno
Michelin Pilot Alpin 275/40R20 106W (M+S)

HOWEVER ... I saw a 2004 CTT up for sale on BAT that has Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/65R18 that look really nice. From what I've read, these tires are designed for highway use. I like the idea of having ONE set of tires you can run all year. Anyone have good experience with this setup?
Old 08-08-2018 | 02:17 AM
nodoors
Three Wheelin'

There is no tire that is great for year round if you live in a place that snows. If I did have to choose one and I lived in Oregon it would be the BFG AT KO2
Old 08-08-2018 | 04:17 AM
Zakowsky
Racer

+1 on nodoors comment - BFG KO2's would be my choice as well. So I am perhaps atypical in that I often change wheels just for a weekend; I have Nitto 555's on 22" which I like for the week, and then throw on the KO2's on 18" for going to the mountains on weekends (takes me 30 minutes). But I am finding between the two I am tending to leave the KO2 on more and more. They are quiet enough on the highway that you hear nothing, even after +15K miles, compared to the Duratracs on my Jeep which are horrendously loud now that they are older. With the KO2's I don't worry about what I hit with them and they get good mileage on the highway. A bit of roll in turns and slower 0-60, but not that bad. Plus I don't carry a spare when I have the KO2's on - when I have the 22's I throw one of my 3rd set of rims (20" with ice tires) in the back just in case. What is amusing is even though I think it looks better with the 22's, I constantly get people coming up to me and saying they love seeing the AT's on a Porsche!

Doing a sat phone only trip in a few weeks to the Yukon, and it is going to be on the KO2's for sure.
Old 08-08-2018 | 02:50 PM
mspa
Intermediate

I get your point. Plus, I suppose on a car like this, it makes sense to have two sets to optimize your enjoyment of it.
Old 10-16-2018 | 03:52 PM
Modkart554
AutoX

255/55/19 Duratracs, 20mm spacers zero rub even on low setting

Last edited by Modkart554; 10-16-2018 at 03:54 PM. Reason: Add pictures
Old 02-07-2019 | 08:25 PM
Tedman5
2nd Gear

Default More info on your roof rack

Originally Posted by Tank_Nine_Eleven
I have an '08 Cayenne S that I added 2" lift spacers (no air suspension for me) to in order to clear 265/65/R18 BFG K02s. I like the slightly taller profile of the Cayenne now but realize that I probably could have cleared the tires at stock height. The ride is smooth with no rubbing at all. I do see a -3mph difference in my speedo but shifting feels fine.

As for the tires, BFG K02s, I had initial concerns after hearing a lot of chatter about premature wear but so far mine have been good to me. I drive this thing daily and do way more on-road driving than off-road (unfortunately) yet the tread is looking great after about a year of use. They are also very quiet for an off road tire. I've had much louder tires on previous trucks. I do love the grippy sound they make when slowing down to a stop

Sock height with original 255/55/R18 Michellin Tires (Stock wheels were kept and powder coated)

I love your setup and exactly what I want to do to my pig. Can you give more info on the rack attachment please? I read you used Commander mounts. Do you have the part number by chance? I was looking at the Smittybilt site but want to be sure I order the correct part.
Thanks!
Old 03-26-2021 | 02:23 PM
Corvetteboy6988
Pro

Another good option, to keep some handling (not going as tall) are Duratracs in 265/60R18, again, no rubbing. This has been my winter set up for 3 years now.

I believe its at "terrain" height in this pic, well, maybe special terrain.

Old 03-26-2021 | 03:17 PM
Davebrossi
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I am envious of you all with smaller than 21" rims. They're....spendy. P/O included a weird set of 19 inch rims with my CTT that actually clear the front calipers, no problem, but other issues keep me from researching winter tires, so I've settled on DWS +s for all season.

Quick Reply: Bigger Tires On a 955 TTC